- Paperback: 232 pages
- Publisher: Routledge (February 28, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0415551862
- ISBN-13: 978-0415551861
- Product Dimensions: 5.4 x 0.5 x 8.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 9.9 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 14 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #922,937 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Lee Strasberg Notes
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
"For the actor, The Lee Strasberg Notes are an indispensable companion." –Johnny Depp
"I always think upon Lee Strasberg with warmth, and reviewing his wisdom is a pleasure." –Francis Ford Coppola
"Reading The Lee Strasberg Notes re-kindled the first rush of excitement I felt about the possibilities of Acting. If you are an Actor―buy it." –Ralph Fiennes
About the Author
Lola Cohen has taught acting for over twenty years at the Lee Strasberg Theater and Film Institute and NYU's Tisch School of the Arts Acting Program. As an actor she made her film debut in Renaldo and Clara in 1975, directed by Bob Dylan. She was SUNY - Ulster Artist in Residence in 2009.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
My reasoning is as follows:
1. Strasberg Method is all about working from your past. You first experience something, ex. shooting with a gun, and then re-create it through the senses on-stage. Other techniques, such as the Adler technique, will make you go to the imagination and imagine what a gun would feel like and then go on-stage. The fact is, YOUR MEMORY WILL ALWAYS BE STRONGER THAN YOUR IMAGINATION, giving it an additional layer of reality.
2. The most amount of Oscar winners in history have been Strasberg trained or believe in Affective Memory. This is a clear fact and should speak for itself.
a. Jack Nicholson 3
b. Al Pacino 2
c. Ellen Burstyn 1
d. Anne Bancroft 1
e. Daniel Day-Lewis 3
f. Tom Hanks 2
g. Meryl Streep 3 (She studied at Yale when Bobby Lewis was there and in his book "Advice to the Players" he wrote about Sense Memory and Affective Memory)
3. To me personally, there is nothing better than to watch a Strasberg person on Film/TV. This is of course an opinion, however it is clearly true to me. Every time I see someone that I really like, I will go on imdb and/or Wikipedia and find out that they are Strasberg trained.
This book was refreshing in many ways. I know Lorrie and Diane Hull from LA and Lorrie's book (Strasberg's Method) is considered by many to be "the bible" on Strasberg. Lorrie is not only a PhD in Education but served as Lee Strasberg's right hand assistant and teacher for 20 years. Her book is invaluable. It is almost a manual stating every step of the Strasberg Method.
However, Lola Cohen's book, to me, completes the circle. She closes many of the gaps that are present in Hull's book. For example, there is no real mention (in Hull's book) on how to actually speak your lines. She will give you tips on memorizing, etc. but not on how to deliver your lines.
All in all, I highly recommend Lola's book to anyone interested in Strasberg's Method or acting for that matter. And, by the way, I have never met her nor am I affiliated with her in any way (unfortunately for me since I would love to not only meet her but to study with her).