Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 176 reviews
on December 29, 2013
Although this book is fiction, it brings to the front of the Christmas story the reason Jesus came to earth. Our Ransome. I was a little dismayed at some of the comments I've seen here concerning this book. And to address those fears.... Yes, this is a fictional story, it does give historical accounting in a short few paragraphs after the story. Is Santa a fictional "story"? Within the "The Legend of the Candy Cane", the true story of Gods love for us is presented. Some have mentioned the "graphic illustrations" of Jesus being beaten. By no means are they "graphic" and are a great way to bring up discussion points with children on suffering, and what Jesus endured for us on the cross. I am a dad of three small children, and have fostered over a dozen more. The age range this is geared for, I'm guessing 4-12 are perfectly able to understand "aligories" in their own way. And again offer teaching moments. This is just an additional tool to help guid children to the real meaning of Christmas, as opposed to the Santa, Rudolph, and Frosty themes, which are fine and good by themselves, being a part of our culture, have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus our saviour. Which if you didn't know, is what Christmas is about.
on December 23, 2014
This is a lovely book with a sweet story (pun not intended). My almost-5-year-old daughter enjoyed it. I read the reviews before purchasing and was concerned about the negative reviews in regards to the illustration of Jesus being whipped. This was not a graphic picture at all. (One can see far more disturbing images on television.) My daughter is very familiar with how Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood to wash away our sins, and neither the illustration nor the story disturbed her at all. I really liked how the story linked candy canes with Jesus. I don't care if this was a historically-correct story or not. The book doesn't claim to based on historical fact. The back of the book even says, "While we may never know the full history of the candy cane, we can share in the truth behind its symbol, the truth of Christ's birth and redemption, and the gift of his love." It's a good story for children that provides a nice way to remind children of why Jesus was born here on earth.

I ordered this book on 12/10 and received it 12/23. I was a little disappointed in how long it took to get here, but at least it did come before Christmas.
on December 29, 2016
I bought this book back when the original came out. I only pulled it out after Thanksgiving every year and had little idea the impact it had as I read it to my three children. Now, 19 years later, my eldest daughter, now a K-4 teacher, heisted my family copy and was saddened when she couldn't find an original copy. This original copyright version arrived quickly, as promised, and in perfect condition. Now
this keepsake is back on my shelf and another will be blessing an entire elementary
School as she reads it to all of her music students for years to come and her own children one day!!
on December 7, 2013
Maybe it isn't the real origin of the candy cane, but it's a beautiful way to incorporate the true meaning of Christmas into a fun story about a treat that has become a Christmas icon. Beautiful illustrations, with an even more beautiful story!

I can't recommend this book highly enough for parents who want a fun Christmas story with a beautiful salvation message!
on March 1, 2017
Gave to co-workers along with a giant candy cane, they loved this
on January 5, 2014
This great children's Christmas book includes audio narration (so you can read along) and video clips that go along with the story. Tells the story of the candy cane and how it represents Jesus (looks like a shepherd's staff or the letter J), red stripes for his suffering for us, and white to remind us that he washes us white as snow.
on December 5, 2012
I purchased this item to do a Christmas children's sermon. The book is perfect for that purpose and is so relevent to what the spirit of Christmas should be. I am going to read the whole book to our yourth. This book wouldn also be a great book to read to the family on Christmas eve. It not only explains Christmas and the origion of the candy cane, it gives encouragement to do what the book says, even at a level for children to spread the good news of Christmas. As part of the children's sermon, I am going to give the children each several candy canes so they can do what the book says and share the real Christmas story. A must read for young children. It would also be a great Christmas present. I loved the book!!!

Pastor Allan
on May 15, 2017
Kids loved the story
on April 4, 2017
Beautiful story!
on December 15, 2013
The story is a nice happy story, though very, very short. I don't know if the enhanced version is shorter than other versions or not... the audio in the video excerpts was a little difficult to understand. It was a fun touch to have the audio read-along feature, but personally, I would much rather the illustrations be the main feature than any of these other enhancements. The illustrations are tiny and not zoomable. My kids enjoyed the story, but would have probably gotten more out of a longer telling (again, perhaps the printed version is more detailed?), and/or would at least have been able to appreciate more the original artwork.