|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Legend, from director Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Gladiator), is a visually stunning fantasy-adventure in which pure good and evil battle to the death amidst spectacular surroundings. Set in a timeless mythical forest inhabited by fairies, goblins, unicorns and mortals, this fantastic story stars Tom Cruise as a mystical forest dweller, chosen by fate, to undertake a heroic quest. He must save the beautiful Princess Lily (Mia Sara) and defeat the demonic Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry) or the world will be plunged into a never-ending ice age!
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
This new Blu-Ray presentation is fascinating to watch, mainly because of its beautiful picture and sound (and there is a warning screen that pops up instantly, telling you that Scott and his team have done their best to make the picture look as good as it can considering the tainted elements and anomalies that turned up in the Goldsmith-scored version, which I feel is the preferred one, not to knock the power of Tangerine Dream's initial vision in their closely scored cut). I feel that the film was simply too misunderstood upon its initial release to be appreciated for its beauty and ideas, but the movie is also in conversation with other films from the past (namely the film's two major influences, Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" and Jacques Offenbach's "The Tales of Hoffmann", both of which utilized crucial moments of terror and inventiveness to change the scope of fantasy filmmaking). B+
Special Features are written already by Amazon in description for this edition and are wonderful. Again, well done Ridley Scott and thank you for putting both versions on the same disc with all the extras. I wish other director's would follow your lead in this.
The quality of the picture is amazing for the age of the movie. So beautiful!
I purchased this version mostly due to the curiosity of an alternate version. I'd heard of the original version and how Ridley Scott cut and slashed it for the release, and I was interested to see it . . .
- the first time I watched the director's cut, I appreciated it but I didn't quite get it. Each time I watch it, however, I catch and enjoy some nuance that I had previously missed. I enjoy the score by Jerry Goldsmith (how can you not) and the extra scenes are all excellent. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the original.
Now, I've decided I'm looking at this the wrong way. The two versions are actually completely different movies. The Director's Cut is a true fairy tale and the original theatrical version is a darker, grittier story. Both are wonderfully crafted and presented . . . different films for different moods!
P.S.: be sure to check out the extras, including interviews with nearly every major personae involved, story boards, etc.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy