Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,007 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,501 reviews
on January 25, 2015
"Legend" is actually a visual feast and a gloriously made movie, but it suffered the backlash of a rather harsh critical misunderstanding upon its initial release, leading many to dismiss it as a backwind fart of a children's movie up the alleys of Hollywood's famous fantasy script rejects. But seriously, Tom Cruise does quite well here, despite his thinness of character, and of course it is the visuals that really make the picture count. The music score too is the stuff of great movie fantasy (and it even includes some songs with lyrics by John Bettis) and the pacing with which Ridley Scott injects the picture with is enough to satisfy most fantasy film fans. In the documentary film about the picture's making, writer William Hjortsberg makes some interesting observations about the screenwriting process (he says that the first draft is the "writer's draft") and discusses how he had already begun to write some fairy tales of his own when the phone rang and ribald Ridley was on the other end (swearing, of course). What to watch for in "Legend" is the beautiful cinematography by Alex Thomson (who truly makes the picture ring with some specialty), as well as the beautiful Mia Sara (who truly looks like a real princess here). Rob Bottin's make-up work is equally as effective here as it has ever been anywhere else. Like all of Scott's films, this picture was subject to a rediscovery and a host of reissues, but this final (is it really the final cut, Wal-Mart shoppers?) cut is allegedly the best that the film will ever be for us historians. On Blu-Ray, the picture looks fantastic. Curry's Devilish turn as the Beast is one of the more interesting performances in the history of fantasy film, despite the fact that you can't even see the man's eyes hiding beneath the wonderful Bottin-designed prosthetics (and believe me, that man was buried deeper than Tutankhamen's tomb).
This new Blu-Ray presentation is fascinating to watch, mainly because of its beautiful picture and sound (and there is a warning screen that pops up instantly, telling you that Scott and his team have done their best to make the picture look as good as it can considering the tainted elements and anomalies that turned up in the Goldsmith-scored version, which I feel is the preferred one, not to knock the power of Tangerine Dream's initial vision in their closely scored cut). I feel that the film was simply too misunderstood upon its initial release to be appreciated for its beauty and ideas, but the movie is also in conversation with other films from the past (namely the film's two major influences, Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" and Jacques Offenbach's "The Tales of Hoffmann", both of which utilized crucial moments of terror and inventiveness to change the scope of fantasy filmmaking). B+
This has been one of my favorite movies since childhood. If you like Tom Cruise, Tim Curry, and "Sloane" from Ferris Bueller, you will like this. They are all in it, plus other familiar faces. The story: A princess's boyfriend wants to show her a unicorn, and long story short, she "breaks rules" and touches one. That makes it so the creatures from hell are able to come after it finally. The unicorn's horn is cut off and the world basically turns into hell. It is up to her, her boyfriend, and a series of really unique creatures to make the world right again and save the last remaining unicorn. The movie is great for kids and adults. I have to say, this movie has the most intimidating looking devil I have ever seen in movies. He is huge, full of muscle, and terrifying. Watch it, if anything, to see how amazing his costume looks. A+ movie.
on April 15, 2015
One of my favorite '80s movies! 1985...Cable TV, Showtime, HBO, The Movie Channel. I tried to see this anytime I could when it was on. This was Tom before TOP GUN. Mia before FERRIS BUELLER. This Blu-ray edition is great! Finally, giving the audience and fans alike the CHOICE to which version they want to see!! (Hey director of THE WARRIORS, take notice!!). This movie looks beautiful in Blu-ray and I watched it on a Samsung 60 inch LED. Everything was beautiful and the sound was gorgeous. The menu was well done with loads of extras and options available. If you love this movie like I do, you are sure to want to get THIS edition for your movie library!
Special Features are written already by Amazon in description for this edition and are wonderful. Again, well done Ridley Scott and thank you for putting both versions on the same disc with all the extras. I wish other director's would follow your lead in this.
on April 20, 2017
I got the multi-format version and it contains both the theatrical and directors cut. First watched theatrical on tv as a little girl and directors cut just now...prefer the former. Tangerine Dream envelopes the movie with a more mature flavor and emotion with some various nostalgic music sounds of the 80's. Although the directors cut is interesting because a few parts are shown that offer more insight to a couple characters. I did enjoy some of Goldsmith's score (don't get me wrong, I have absolutely loved his other works) but there were some portions that seemed unnecessary...and sometimes it just did not seem to flow as well with the movie (In my opinion respectfully).
The quality of the picture is amazing for the age of the movie. So beautiful!
on March 27, 2017
This movie has been one of my favorites since 1985 . . . seriously, when people ask me for my top movies, this one is always in the top three. Seriously! So ethereal, so unconventional. Mia Sara was stunning, Tom Cruise (usually and annoyance to me) was solid and Tim Curry as Darkness! And the throbbing, visceral theme from new age veterans Tangerine Dream. Wonderful!
I purchased this version mostly due to the curiosity of an alternate version. I'd heard of the original version and how Ridley Scott cut and slashed it for the release, and I was interested to see it . . .
- the first time I watched the director's cut, I appreciated it but I didn't quite get it. Each time I watch it, however, I catch and enjoy some nuance that I had previously missed. I enjoy the score by Jerry Goldsmith (how can you not) and the extra scenes are all excellent. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the original.

Now, I've decided I'm looking at this the wrong way. The two versions are actually completely different movies. The Director's Cut is a true fairy tale and the original theatrical version is a darker, grittier story. Both are wonderfully crafted and presented . . . different films for different moods!

P.S.: be sure to check out the extras, including interviews with nearly every major personae involved, story boards, etc.
on May 7, 2017
1st up the music and sound effects are nothing like the Legend I had on VHS as a kid growing up. On this dvd everything sounds all happy, the legend I remember was very dark sounding at times. This is a very big deal surprisingly its making this seam like not even the same movie when I watch it, Frankly its ruining the movie and I will be destroying this dvd because its such an insult to the original I don't want anyone else to watch it so Im not going to give it away or sell it Im going to destroy it! wasted $7
on November 7, 2015
I am not a Tom Cruise fan, he always seems to be checking himself out in the lens. However this is the Director's Cut with the Jerry Goldsmith music - haunting and melodic. (I do like the Tangerine Dream music soundtrack but imo the movie is much better with the Goldsmith music). The main characters, to me, aren't especially charismatic or appealing. Then you get to TIm Curry as the Lord of Darkness and all the poor plot contrivances and dull main characters are forgotten. The makeup, costumes, and sets are also amazing and impressive. So if you like music, fantasy, and Tim Curry (with or without makeup he is amazing), you will enjoy Legend.
on April 21, 2017
This is my childhood movie. I can quote this movie word for word. I watched the director's cut but without the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, it is not the same. Tangerine Dream adds so much more depth to the scenes in the movie. It reminds me of Legend of Zelda. This movie made my heart stay youthful and will continue to do so for as long as it beats.
on April 7, 2017
Upgrading to this blu-ray introduced me to the directors cut. Holy cow, it changes the whole movie! If you like the original (I love it) you should check out the directors cut. It turns it from a kitch 80's nostalgia weird fantasy into a very beautiful and more traditional (and timeless) fairy tale that makes way more sense in its narrative.
on April 3, 2014
This is a pretty decent film, but the plot moves really fast. The only settings we get are the forest, snowfall forest, and Darkness's fortress. We never even once get to see Princess Lily's kingdom. Also, as soon as Lilly is captured and sent to the Fortress, Darkness instantly falls in love with her and decides to make her his queen. Also at the beginning of the film, there is a woman who says she sees Lilly as a daughter. This lady is seen once more as a frozen corpse and then is never used again. Lilly makes no mention of her emotions over the woman's death afterwards.

Other than the really fast plot, this is a pretty good film and I see why it has a cult following. The makeup effects are AMAZING. Tim Curry looks like a very convincing demon, it's just impressive. The fantasy element is well done with unicorns being the protectors of Light and Darkness being the source of darkness. The theme of love is also well done.