Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 21, 2016
This has been one of my favorite movies since childhood. If you like Tom Cruise, Tim Curry, and "Sloane" from Ferris Bueller, you will like this. They are all in it, plus other familiar faces. The story: A princess's boyfriend wants to show her a unicorn, and long story short, she "breaks rules" and touches one. That makes it so the creatures from hell are able to come after it finally. The unicorn's horn is cut off and the world basically turns into hell. It is up to her, her boyfriend, and a series of really unique creatures to make the world right again and save the last remaining unicorn. The movie is great for kids and adults. I have to say, this movie has the most intimidating looking devil I have ever seen in movies. He is huge, full of muscle, and terrifying. Watch it, if anything, to see how amazing his costume looks. A+ movie.
on January 25, 2015
"Legend" is actually a visual feast and a gloriously made movie, but it suffered the backlash of a rather harsh critical misunderstanding upon its initial release, leading many to dismiss it as a backwind fart of a children's movie up the alleys of Hollywood's famous fantasy script rejects. But seriously, Tom Cruise does quite well here, despite his thinness of character, and of course it is the visuals that really make the picture count. The music score too is the stuff of great movie fantasy (and it even includes some songs with lyrics by John Bettis) and the pacing with which Ridley Scott injects the picture with is enough to satisfy most fantasy film fans. In the documentary film about the picture's making, writer William Hjortsberg makes some interesting observations about the screenwriting process (he says that the first draft is the "writer's draft") and discusses how he had already begun to write some fairy tales of his own when the phone rang and ribald Ridley was on the other end (swearing, of course). What to watch for in "Legend" is the beautiful cinematography by Alex Thomson (who truly makes the picture ring with some specialty), as well as the beautiful Mia Sara (who truly looks like a real princess here). Rob Bottin's make-up work is equally as effective here as it has ever been anywhere else. Like all of Scott's films, this picture was subject to a rediscovery and a host of reissues, but this final (is it really the final cut, Wal-Mart shoppers?) cut is allegedly the best that the film will ever be for us historians. On Blu-Ray, the picture looks fantastic. Curry's Devilish turn as the Beast is one of the more interesting performances in the history of fantasy film, despite the fact that you can't even see the man's eyes hiding beneath the wonderful Bottin-designed prosthetics (and believe me, that man was buried deeper than Tutankhamen's tomb).
This new Blu-Ray presentation is fascinating to watch, mainly because of its beautiful picture and sound (and there is a warning screen that pops up instantly, telling you that Scott and his team have done their best to make the picture look as good as it can considering the tainted elements and anomalies that turned up in the Goldsmith-scored version, which I feel is the preferred one, not to knock the power of Tangerine Dream's initial vision in their closely scored cut). I feel that the film was simply too misunderstood upon its initial release to be appreciated for its beauty and ideas, but the movie is also in conversation with other films from the past (namely the film's two major influences, Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" and Jacques Offenbach's "The Tales of Hoffmann", both of which utilized crucial moments of terror and inventiveness to change the scope of fantasy filmmaking). B+
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2017
This movie has been one of my favorites since 1985 . . . seriously, when people ask me for my top movies, this one is always in the top three. Seriously! So ethereal, so unconventional. Mia Sara was stunning, Tom Cruise (usually and annoyance to me) was solid and Tim Curry as Darkness! And the throbbing, visceral theme from new age veterans Tangerine Dream. Wonderful!
I purchased this version mostly due to the curiosity of an alternate version. I'd heard of the original version and how Ridley Scott cut and slashed it for the release, and I was interested to see it . . .
- the first time I watched the director's cut, I appreciated it but I didn't quite get it. Each time I watch it, however, I catch and enjoy some nuance that I had previously missed. I enjoy the score by Jerry Goldsmith (how can you not) and the extra scenes are all excellent. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the original.

Now, I've decided I'm looking at this the wrong way. The two versions are actually completely different movies. The Director's Cut is a true fairy tale and the original theatrical version is a darker, grittier story. Both are wonderfully crafted and presented . . . different films for different moods!

P.S.: be sure to check out the extras, including interviews with nearly every major personae involved, story boards, etc.
on April 15, 2015
One of my favorite '80s movies! 1985...Cable TV, Showtime, HBO, The Movie Channel. I tried to see this anytime I could when it was on. This was Tom before TOP GUN. Mia before FERRIS BUELLER. This Blu-ray edition is great! Finally, giving the audience and fans alike the CHOICE to which version they want to see!! (Hey director of THE WARRIORS, take notice!!). This movie looks beautiful in Blu-ray and I watched it on a Samsung 60 inch LED. Everything was beautiful and the sound was gorgeous. The menu was well done with loads of extras and options available. If you love this movie like I do, you are sure to want to get THIS edition for your movie library!
Special Features are written already by Amazon in description for this edition and are wonderful. Again, well done Ridley Scott and thank you for putting both versions on the same disc with all the extras. I wish other director's would follow your lead in this.
on March 12, 2018
I ordered the Ultimate Edition blu-ray.
The "ultimate edition" has the original theatrical version with the Tangerine Dream score AND the directors cut with the orchestra version. And some extras like cut footage, lost footage, commentary, the making of the movie, etc. All on ONE DISK.

It took so much digging to find the original version with the Tangerine Dream score.

I seem to recall a few years ago when you bought blu-ray's they came with a boring ol regular DVD too. I was kinda hoping this did too. Should have dived further into all them details. 1 disk. says it right there. 1 disk.

I want a DVD of the tangerine dream score version. Because my computer/laptops can't play blu-ray. But whatever, I'll just watch it on the big tv.

I feel the descriptions of versions/formats on this listing are confusing and they need to fix it.
So LOOK at the details before you make you're final purchase. Make sure it's the right version and then the right format.
on April 20, 2017
I got the multi-format version and it contains both the theatrical and directors cut. First watched theatrical on tv as a little girl and directors cut just now...prefer the former. Tangerine Dream envelopes the movie with a more mature flavor and emotion with some various nostalgic music sounds of the 80's. Although the directors cut is interesting because a few parts are shown that offer more insight to a couple characters. I did enjoy some of Goldsmith's score (don't get me wrong, I have absolutely loved his other works) but there were some portions that seemed unnecessary...and sometimes it just did not seem to flow as well with the movie (In my opinion respectfully).
The quality of the picture is amazing for the age of the movie. So beautiful!
I saw this movie in the theater back when it was originally released. And I hope I don't get reamed for this...but it's never been one of my favorites. I always thought the whole thing seemed a little over-dramatic, like many of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies that came out during that time period. HOWEVER...I thought my older daughter might love it. She's at the age where she's getting a little old for the whole "princess" thing but not quite old enough for more adult stuff. Plus, what 80's kid doesn't still kind of harbor a mild crush on Mia Sara? :)
on April 21, 2017
This is my childhood movie. I can quote this movie word for word. I watched the director's cut but without the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, it is not the same. Tangerine Dream adds so much more depth to the scenes in the movie. It reminds me of Legend of Zelda. This movie made my heart stay youthful and will continue to do so for as long as it beats.
on July 28, 2017
A great classic movie even through watching it for the technology of the 80s was so unique and kinda dated with no cgi yet. The movie still stands tall as a great epic tale of good vs evil something kids and adults could learn from. Plus seeing Tom Cruise a young actor was a mega flashback for me to memories of simple times before movies became so complex and less story driven. So if your fan of the old school stuff check this blu ray out you wont be disappointed either way.
on October 18, 2017
The remastered version is absolutely beautiful. The movie really stands the test of time. I had a blast sharing this with my kids, that said, if you don't know what you are in for, watch the movie before getting it for kids. The Unicorns are pretty but as a Gen Xer, I think of Gremlins, The Dark Crystal, and Clash of the Titans as kids movies and they are a tad more graphic than what my kids have grown accustomed too.

That said, with assurances that the river monster wasn't going to eat their tongues and no pot bellied demons were going to stuff them in to the pie, my kids made it to bed ;)