Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 523 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 618 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 23, 2014
I hadn't read any of Sanderson's other books so I didn't have any particular expectations when I saw this kindle release a few months ago. Although the description on Amazon is very intriguing, I resisted spending $3 on a 96 page kindle book (short story) but finally splurged and got it yesterday.

I found the basic premise of a genius whose multiple personality disorder manifests as helpful hallucinations very interesting and enjoyable. (Of course I like the TV show Perception, too. Hmmm.) Sanderson is clearly a very talented writer and the kindle formatting was excellent . That's the good.

But I did have problems with "Legion". The first is that the plot is essentially a poorly executed version of Isaac Asimov's sci fi classic "The Dead Past" down to the discussion of the problems and moral issues arising from the device. It is hard to enjoy a story when you are thinking "What the...?" through the whole thing.

Another major problem is the length. It isn't about the ridiculous price. There are science fiction short stories and novellas for which I would happily have paid more just for the pleasure they gave. But those are great pieces of standalone fiction that say all that needs to be said in a few short pages. (The Dead Past, again) And, most important, they don't bring up a bunch of extraneous issues that are never resolved.

In "Legion" the story is rushed and there is no development of the protagonist. What could be interesting parts of the back story are left unexplained. And what is evidently the most important thing to the main character is left completely hanging.

This reminds me of the stories popular authors throw together for those "special" anthologies their publishers put out. Those stories usually couldn't stand on their own but you don't mind since you are familiar with the characters and their world. The story is just a brief interlude in a larger story.

Unfortunately, "Legion" doesn't have a body of work to support it. The story will just leave you frustrated, especially since there is no indication Sanderson will be continuing the saga of Legion.
on September 13, 2012
Infinity Blade: Awakening showcased Brandon Sanderson is his element, bringing an addicting story with a lot of potential, only to end just when the story got its hooks deep in you, leaving you wanting so much more. Legion, though different and not nearly as deep, is as entertaining, though not as fulfilling. Do not let that dissuade you, however. Legion provides plenty of entertainment.

The many hallucinations of Stephen Leeds provide a great variety of personalities that play well off each other and the protagonist. Sanderson continues to show his humor with an abundance of wit in how each hallucination behaves and interacts with each other and the real world. They are a treat to read and in typical Sanderson fashion, the plot is swift and engaging enough. Legion, though, is too short for my liking, which is why I did not give it five stars. Definitely a solid four, maybe four and a half.

Legion shares a similar trait to The Alloy of Law: both felt like incomplete stories, but Legion's even more so. I know it is a novella and they are supposed to be short, but that does not change how I felt when I finished both novels. It almost seems as if Sanderson did not want or did not have the time to finish the full story and instead provided a tantalizing, though mildly frustrating, cliffhanger. Ultimately it is a minor grievance, though I wish Sanderson spent a few more days finishing the story. Firstborn, also a great read, is slightly shorter yet more complete, and Infinity Blade: Awakening, around twice as long as Legion, had a fitting length. So why did Legion have to remain so open ended? I digress.

I am no less a Sanderson fan than before I read the story. Quite the contrary, I love seeing him venture into the science fiction genre and Legion only solidifies him further as my favorite author due to his consistent high quality of story telling. Legion is a solid read and if you have enjoyed Sanderon's previous works, I see no reason why you would not enjoy this. It is short, light, but through and through, very entertaining.
on February 3, 2014
3.5 Stars.

What a different story. I really like that the main character is a functional crazy person. Sure he has hallucinations but at least he knows they are hallucinations, so how crazy can he actually be. It seems more like he is a genius that has just found a creative way to make compartments for all his knowledge.

This was just a quick mystery of sorts to figure out and a nice introduction into Stephan’s world. The actual mystery was only so/so for me but I loved the characters and the weirdness that was Stephan’s mind. I’d be interested in reading a little more on this interesting character in the future. I hope Brandon Sanderson has some more short stories in mind.

P.S. The audio version of this was great!
on January 17, 2016
Legion, by Brandon Sanderson is a novella written with a keen eye for refreshing an idea that has already been done, but have it done in a way that is fun and creative, in a craft that seems to be sometimes one dimensional.

The story is written in first person and follows the life of Stephen Leeds, Legion, who clinically speaking is insane, given he talks and fellowships with hallucinations which take the form of people, who help him solve problems/mysteries.

The story takes place in a time where Stephen has become a recluse and is constantly turning away people who wish to see his "brilliant" mind in actions, and of course see for themselves how crazy he is. He is presented with a case to find a missing camera which supposedly takes pictures of the past; pictures, that could upset worldwide political, scientific, and religious beliefs, by allowing age old questions and convictions to be answered, confirmed, or destroyed, .

In terms of characters, the story is filled with a beautiful supporting cast, who, although hallucinations, are brought to life with distinct personalities, various beliefs, and specialized skills. Throughout the story I found myself drawn to these hallucinations, or aspects, seeing them as "real" people (in the story sense, of course. I'm not insane..., really), who were interesting and engaging.

Sanderson also, in addition to the compelling issues of science, faith, terrorism, corporate espionage, and others topics, questions the meaning of sanity. Throughout the story, the reader can clearly see that Stephen is "not right in the head," but even with this proof, the author manages to get the reader to question his/her definition of sanity, by having the protagonist raise interesting views on the subject. Stephen mentions how people consider a man who cheats on his wife, can't hold a job, or can't control his temper to be sane; or how the "sane" allow stress, fear, and frustration to keep them from being happy, a state which he now enjoys.

Overall, I really didn't have any problems with this story. Although, the idea of a camera that can take pictures of the past, done by Asimov, and a protagonist somewhat similar to a Marvel character with the same name, weren't exactly original, none of this bothered me. The rich bachelor with the butler troupe reminded me of Bruce Wayne and Alfred, but I enjoyed it non the less, it fit the story and who knows maybe Bruce Wayne sees imaginary people who help him solve mysteries. I mean one guy can't be that smart right? Or..., maybe he can, I mean he is Batman..... Ah..., Ok, I'll shut up now.

Bottom line, this story was a blast to read and should be definitely marked as a book you must read.
on July 19, 2014
The strength of most of Sanderson's stories is the unique and intriguing concept behind the tale. In this case, he crafts a simple short novella around the concept of a schizophrenic man who uses his hallucinations of other personalities as a way of holding and using knowledge about topics he has learned. Need a language specialist? Read a book on languages and a hallucinatory personality appears who can speak that language. In Legion, Sanderson takes this concept and forms his story around it. The story is interesting, but not overly complex. It's an easy and entertaining read. The interactions of the hallucinations is the most interesting part of the story.
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2014
I picked up the second book in this series today - Legion: Skin Deep and realized I hadn't read this first book. This was a quick but satisfying read. I really enjoyed the premise of this series (multiple personality aspects) and think that there could be a number of books come out of it. This first book is pretty much an introduction to the series, but it is also a decent techno mystery.

I also purchase the audible companion and listened to part of the book that way. The reader does a good job with the story, and I would recommend it.
on February 15, 2015
I am quickly becoming a HUGE Brandon Sanderson fan. I only recently become introduced to Sanderson a couple of months ago when I read Steelheart and I am starting to realize that I have really been missing out. This story was completely unique and entertaining. I love how different this story was from anything I have ever encountered before. This story is short but it is highly complex and detailed.

I decided to read this story because I thought I had the audiobook already in my audible account, I discovered that I actually had the second book in the series so I quickly remedied that situation and started listening right away. I think that the narrator did a fantastic job with this story. He voice was soothing to listen to and he did such a fantastic job with a wide range of characters.

Steven Leeds is probably one of the most interesting characters that I have encountered in a book. He is never alone. He lives with his aspects, otherwise known as his hallucinations. Each one of his aspects is an expert in a certain area. Steven claims that he is not a genius and that his aspects are the intelligent one. Of course, he also claims that he isn't crazy and to be honest he acts completely sane if you ignore the fact that he spends most of his time talking to his hallucinations.

Steven is quickly enlisted to help locate a missing camera. This isn't just any camera. This camera takes photos that should not exist. When he thinks about what this camera means to society, he feels he has no choice but to try to find it. Steven and his aspects make quite the formidable team as they work to achieve their goal. There are moments in the story when I just need to stop and think for a bit, moments I laughed a little, and other times where I could find out what was going to happen next fast enough.

The characters in this story are unbelievably good. Sanderson was able to create a man with a mansion full of hallucinations who appears to be completely sane. Every single aspect that were involved in the story had a distinct personality. While everyone around Steven saw a man talking to nobody, we, the reader, got to see exactly what Steven saw and it was amazing. I never experienced a moment of boredom during the story. Of course, how could I? J.C was running around with guns and hallucinations having hallucinations - I simply had no idea what could possibly be next.

I would highly recommend this story to others. I cannot wait to spend more time with Steven and his aspects. I will definitely be reading more from Brandon Sanderson in the not too distant future.
on November 29, 2014
I keep being amazed at the breadth of Brandon Sanderson's imagination. Perhaps he has that Terry Pratchett DNA which causes cosmic rays to strike his skull and spark off a constant stream of amazing ideas. This novella, "Legion," is yet another example of this: a person spinning off his schizophrenic personalities into self-contained identities that he can work with as if they were real people. Normally, I wouldn't have read this book since it's so short (a mere novella). But, since he's got a "double-length novella" (it looks like a full novel to me) out that's a sequel to this ("Legion: Skin Deep"), I decided to read it. I'm glad I did. Really good plot, characterizations, and prose, and, even though it's fairly short, it's NOT abrupt. It does what it has to do and does it well. I rate it at a Very Good 4 stars out of 5.

The books in Brandon Sanderson's "Legion" series are:

1. Legion
2. Legion: Skin Deep
on September 27, 2012
This is a novella written by Sanderson that was released by Subterranean press. It is different from other things we've seen from Sanderson...more of a sci-fi paranormal thriller of sorts. The premise is very creative and the novella just scratches the surface of what could be a very interesting full-length novel.

Leed is a man who can summon multiple aspects to his personality as people to assist him. The people are only visible to him and he calls them as he needs their expertise. The fact that he demands full resources for all the "people" assisting him make him appear to be quite mad. But nothing can change the fact that Leed is excellent at getting the job done. In this novella Leed is contacted to investigate the disappearance of a scientist who has made a camera that can take pictures of what has happened in the past in a given location.

The idea of a person who can summon an aspect of their personality that knows whatever they need to know is interesting. The concept is a bit ambiguous, but to Leed these people or aspects who assist him are real and to the people around Leed these aspects don't exist. The question of whether these aspects are Leed's way of dealing with genius, a paranormal phenomena, or something else is never really resolved.

As if the idea behind a person with Leed's abilities isn't interesting enough, Sanderson has thrown an intriguing mystery into the story as well. Leed is investigating the disappearance of a scientist who made a camera who can take pictures of the past. There is much discussion on the ramifications of such an invention. There are so many questions in history that could finally be answered if such a device existed and the implications on aspects of humanity are large.

In addition to this mystery Leed's has lost someone important in his life where the camera would be a very useful thing for him to have. This only adds to the twists and turns in this thriller mystery as you try to figure out who is on who's side and what is really going on.

As you can tell from the above that is a lot of story packed into a small space. It is very well done, full of intriguing ideas, humor, and some very intellectual things to consider. Honestly the only problem I have with this novella is that it would have made an excellent novel. There are so many things left unresolved and so many ways these ideas could be expanded upon. I would love to see more to this story in the future.

Overall an excellent read. More of an urban fantasy or paranormal thriller than Sanderson's normal fare. It is very cool to see that Sanderson does something so different so well. Lots of creative ideas in here and lots of food for thought as well. I would love to see this expanded into multiple novellas or a full length story. Recommended to fans of Sanderson and fans of paranormal mysteries.
on July 30, 2016
Ideally this would have been several pages longer - I finished an hour of cardio somewhat after finishing the tale. A few short chapters from the POV of the other significant characters would have served nicely. Amazon's 'mood' indicator often falls short - this has a balance of suspense, humor and some high-concept spec fic musings.

It is not related to the X-Men character in X-Men Legacy Vol. 1: Prodigal, which apparently will be coming to a small screen near you sooner that this will translate into a movie. 'Legion' is a biblical reference, so...not trademark-able.