Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 176 reviews
on June 14, 2014
I read this after finishing the 13 books in Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events and I did not expect this to answer all the questions I had after completing the series, but even with that lack of expectation, this book was still disappointing. It is certainly clever as all get out and Snicket's linguistic charms are everpresent throughout, but it does not add up to anything resembling a cohesive, enjoyable read. Out of the 13 chapters, there were several that I read and simply thought, "what was the point of that?" afterwards. While I'm sure someone has made some sense of the documents and letters scattered throughout this book, I'm not sure it deserves that type of effort. While ASOUE revels in ambiguity and lack of clear answers, that is okay due to the human element underlying it all, but this book does not offer that same emotional resonance making it seem like empty mystery rather than one that you care deeply about. If you love ASOUE - as I do - I suppose you should read this, but don't expect any answers, just another level of confusion.
on January 4, 2017
I got this book yesterday and I can't put it down! It has the same style writing as the original series, which makes me very happy. It has given a lot of information about VFD, which are utterly fascinating. It's a great book, especially if you are curious about Snicket and VFD.
on March 24, 2011
This books doesn't have an introduction, nor a knot, and certainly not a denouement.
You will be able to read this magnificent recollection of data in no more than 3 hours.
But don't be fooled: reading this book from cover to cover is not the end of it, it's the BEGINNING.

Lemony Snicket gives us here several letters, newspaper articles and an assorted miscellanea of texts and mysterious photos to shed light in SEVERAL mysteries of the Baudelaire saga, but he will not give that light away that easily. When you end up the book for the first time, your poor brain will say two things:
1) I am so confused right now. I know i finished the book, but i feel i know LESS than before, if that's possible...
2) On other thoughts, that which was mentioned on page ## rang a bell from somewhere...

And that's when the fun starts: when you realize that the facts are scattered throughout the book, and when you tie those facts together, you will start seeing SO MANY REVEALING ASPECTS about the Baudelaires, Lemony Snicket, and the world they live in. There are several mentions to the 13 books, and you will be very wise to have them by you while you read this bio.

As i said, this is not your everyday book: you will have to work, to research, to think logically, and to be able to see beyond the words.
Clearly, that's not what people is usually interested in when reading a book. People usually want the full story revealed, and they don't want to work to get. But if you are interested in solving mysteries, and you are not afraid to do a little research on your own, then arm yourself with a commonplace book, and i can assure you this will be a book like nothing else you've read before.
on June 11, 2013
This isn't a beginning-middle-ending type of story, so if you're looking for a novel that will pull you in, this may not be the book for you. I think the people who say they were confused may not have read the entire Unfortunate Events series. Don't get me wrong, it can be confusing. Like Unfortunate Events, it is meant to be mysterious - giving out clues about what's going on without ever really telling you. But if you have read the whole Unfortunate Events series you will pick up new tidbits that add to that story. It gives a more global perspective. It is an interesting way to tell a story, but I was hoping for more of a straightforward narrative.
on March 1, 2017
I read this book in hopes of finding answers to the Series of Unfortunate Events books but did not find what I was looking for. Instead I received more riddles and not very helpful clues by the author. It was entertaining but still disappointing.
on February 1, 2017
I loved the unique style to this book, the codes, the mysteries, the whit.
I feel that kindle version of the book could have used a little more love to make it easier to navigate through the different chapters, which is essential for this book.
Otherwise, it was a great experience.
on December 14, 2012
Really getting tired of buying these throwdown books by the author, but my daughter "has" to have them all or be left out I guess.
on September 2, 2015
Too obscure for most readers. Too slow to get underway.
on January 28, 2014
I bought this for my kindle fire.
The book itself is fantastic, I really enjoy reading it.
But the format the book comes in does not allow for any highlighting or note taking, which was a bit sad for a book lover. There are so many good words to take note of and I couldn't do that, so other than that, great book.
on July 31, 2013
It can be very very confusing, especially if you miss something, because Daniel doesn't just tell you the answers, you have to put them together, like a big, vague puzzle. I read the series twice, but I would NEVER have known half this stuff. He just is so funny. I would recommend this to anyone, but read it ONLY if you have read at least about nine of the books, but it would be best if you read all of them, because then yo wouldn't know some of the characters. It is so fun to find out who he is talking about. H i very vague, though.