Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 1, 2013
I purchased this tablet after my six month old Nexus 7 broke, (horrible build quality, cracks in the screen, loose charging port - but that's another review). I really didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on another tablet and found the S6000 on Amazon.

To be honest, I was a little leery at first. This tablet cost the same as my Nexus 7, (2012 version), and had a 10.1 screen size. Granted, there are hardware differences between the two, (or between any tablets for that matter), but most people wouldn't know the difference. So I,hesitantly, placed my order.

The S6000 arrived and I was surprised! The tablet has a nice, solid "feel" and the screen is bright and crisp. I was a little concerned about the resolution on this tablet, (1280 by 800), but those worries were soon put to rest. My apps and videos looked great and text was easy to read. Is the display equivilant to "Retina Display?". No, it is not, but I honestly can't see a major difference between my S6000 and iPad.

Another nice feature with this tablet is the ability to add an SD card. I purchased a 32 GB card and it was easily installed. Just be aware, you can not store apps on the SD card. You can store music, pictures, media files, etc.. This is not a flaw with the S6000 and has everything to do with the Android operating system.

I have talked about some of the "high points" with the S6000 but must discuss some of the issues. This tablet ran most of my apps perfectly fine. However, I soon realized that Netflix would not work and my GPS apps wouldn't install. A quick Google search led me to the answers needed.

There was an issue with the Netflix app running on the S6000 since it was put into production. Lenovo did send a forward update out a couple of weeks ago to correct the issue,(it worked), but it also wiped my tablet to factory defaults. Make sure you purchase this tablet with the latest firmware or update the firmware prior to installing your apps, downloading music, etc.!

The next issue, (highly important to me), was discovered when I tried to install my GPS apps. The Lenovo S6000-F, (this tablet -the WiFi version), does not have a GPS chipset! Many people bought this tablet thinking it had this chip set due to Lenovo listing these specs on their website. GPS is only available on the S6000 3G tablets. I assume it was one of the cost cutting measures taken to make this tablet so affordable.

The last issue is lagging. This isn't a huge issue but it's noticeable when rotating the tablet or switching between apps. The screen response is nice but the lag is definitely there.

Would I buy this again? That's debatable. I love many of the features at this price point but the, (lack of), GPS is a deal breaker. If this isn't a major concern for you I would recommend the S6000. I really don't think you will find a tablet of this size and quality at this price.

PRO:
- Price
- Build Quality
- Features

CON:
- Lack of GPS
- Slight lagging
33 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 25, 2014
I bought this tablet when it was $219. I see the price has gone up a little but this is still a good deal for the hardware, screen size, resolution, and features you get versus an iPad or full blown Windows tablet. The Andriod OS (4.2.2 Jelly Bean) is pretty intuitive and very responsive on this platform. The app store (Google Play) is easy to use, it's simple to find and install all your favorite apps.

I have one nit-picky little complaint. The Bluetooth keyboard I bought bundled seems to time out too quickly. I'm sure there's a setting in the preferences to make the timeout longer. But I haven't found a convenient way to reconnect it after a timeout other than going into the Bluetooth settings and touching the paired keyboard entry again. It connects instantly but it's a little inconvenient to stop what I'm doing to go back into the settings.

On a positive note, the performance of this tablet is impressive. Apps, pictures, documents, etc, load almost instantly. I've never had a problem connecting to wifi hotspots or email accounts, both of which I have numerous. The native apps are very good at playing music, viewing pictures, managing files, web surfing, etc. But we all have our favorite apps for those tasks and all of mine run just fine on this platform.

All in all, I've been waiting a long time for a machine that does what I want for a price I'm willing to pay. This tablet fit the bill. I suggest getting the suggested bundle of cover, keyboard, and an additional SD card for extra storage. They all work well together. I even bought a microUSB adaptor so that I can attach thumbdrives or other external media, and a microHDMI adaptor so that I can attach the tablet to a TV or monitor. This is a great hardware package. I've made my living in the IT service and support profession for over 30 years and I highly recommend this tablet.
on December 17, 2013
I bought this for 200$ and I'm thoroughly happy with the performance and battery life thus far. It handles all of the applications I throw at it; games, streaming services, and music playback/video playback. This was made as a low budget competitor to the nexus 7 tablet (don't know if its the original version or the 2013 version) but treat it as such.

Pros:
Great Battery Life
Modestly Above Average Performance
Decent Screen Resolution for Price Point
SD Card Clot Expansion (max 64 gb)
10.1 inch screen with decent color reproduction and detail/clarity
High Value
4.1 Jelly Bean Android OS
16 gigabytes of Internal Storage (12 gigabytes actually usable) [The 32 gigabyte version probably has 26-28 gigabytes actually usable]

Cons:
Camera is mediocre
Screen is a fingerprint magnet (make sure to have a cleaning cloth handy)
Back of the Tablet has a somewhat uncomfortable texture that impacts long viewing sessions with it in your hands
Has its share of Bloatware (some look practical but others do not)

NOTE: I'm reviewing the 16gb Version with 4.1 Jelly Bean pre-installed
on March 24, 2014
I got this tablet for my non-techy husband, and he *loves* it! It is easy to use and he likes the big screen. True, there are 10-inch tablets out there with screens that have much higher resolutions than this one (and you'll pay more for them, too). But the screen is more than adequate. It connects just fine to WiFi and is fast enough for what we need it to do. It is *very* thin -- I'm not sure I've seen a tablet as thin as this one is.

One thing to note: the dimensions are odd. This does not affect use at all, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to buy a case. You'll do best looking for a case that is made for this model Lenovo Ideatab. It's taller and narrower than the iPad or the Kindle Fire, so you'll have a hard time getting a generic-sized case (one-case fits many models) to fit it. The thinness of the tablet makes that even more true. We found a really nice one on Amazon made by Poetic.
on April 6, 2014
It was a question between this android tablet at 10.1 inch and the kindle 8.9 inch and I wanted the larger screen so I took the chance on this one. I get apps from Google most of the time but I have a kindle app on it and can read all my kindle books and play all my kindle games on it. I know I will eventualy break down and buy the 8.9 kindle hd as my 7" kindle fire is so easy to use.The kindle fire 7" is just too small for my older eyes to use it for any length of time.
on December 28, 2014
I bought this tablet in March 2014 and from the beginning was slow, but it did the basics of what I needed it to do. If you charge it and it reaches 100% you need to take if off the charger immediately or the screen will become all stripes and you'll have to turn it off and on again to get it working. Little quirks that I dealt with for the benefit of a cheap tablet.

Then yesterday, after 9 months of owning it, it is a paperweight. It will not turn on, no lights flicker to show any sign of life, and I'm passed the return date. This is when buying from a box store would come in handy...I could have their geeks fix it.

Hopefully, everyone else gets more then 9 months of use out of it!
on December 18, 2013
I researched Tablets for months. I wanted one for my mother who is starting to lose her short term memory. Therefore I needed something very easy to use. It needs to be responsive, pretty, simple, and programmable. This tablet has so far fit the bill for my needs. My mom won't be using it like a teenager or a business person, so I don't need it to have crazy graphics or memory, etc and I also don't want to pay more than $200.00, so this one is seemed like a good fit.

I have not given it to her yet. But I have set it up over the past month for these uses. So far it is great!
I make changes to her google calendar through the app Calengoo and it gives timely popup reminders on the screen. (take pills, bills paid, lunch date..etc.) If she wants email I can put that on the homescreen, and facebook. I am still figuring out an easy way for her to check her bank statement...we shall see. She can open Pandora and listen to music and she can video skype me and my brother which will add so much joy to her life. The home button is great because she can always push it if she gets lost. She can also talk to it for searching, or skype typing. That is really nice! (I know that is becoming pretty ordinary now.)

I also appreciated that you can uninstall the factory apps right from the app screen. I think this will be a success. Will update how it goes with her. I'm surprised there weren't very many posts out their about tablets for the elderly, it is potentially such a great tool....just like they have learning tablets for kids.

Not that I care too much for my needs, but the camera doesn't take very good photos. The skype video camera is good enough. The video itself is very crisp and nice.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 11, 2014
Overall I like the Tablet. I'm trying to figure out if it's faulty or if Lenovo disabled the ability to move the APP to SD card. When I go into Manage Apps, this option is not available at all. All other Android Devices I've had until this one I could do this with. I've been on the phone with Lenovo, and they say I should be able to do this. I've received my replacement tablet and this still is not available. I went to a brick and mortar and test drove an S6000 there. It had the 4.2.1 Android, but you could do this with it. So, not sure what the issue is. Either it was removed with 4.2.2 or I've had 2 faulty tablets. Some others have said that it's not possible and Lenovo has disabled this feature. I want to be able to do this so I can conserve the 16 GB internal. The model I have is the S6000-F. Curious if others have similar experience.
on February 17, 2014
I've had this tablet for a few days, and I really love it. It was a good price and looks and feels beautiful. I'm using it for school--specifically, accessing my e-textbook--and it works just like I expected. The display is crisp and responsive, and the battery lasts long enough for me to do my homework and then let the kids play on it for a couple of hours.

The reason it is 4 stars instead of 5 is that even though the Android version is Jellybean 4.2.2 and should have the ability to make multiple user accounts, Lenovo apparently doesn't have this option for this tablet. I'm hoping they will remedy this soon, since I'd like my kids to be able to play games without being all up in my stuff, but in product forums I see they've been asking for a remedy for about six months, so I'm not holding my breath. For the price, it's not a deal breaker.
on June 21, 2014
I like this tablet. It is fast and has great screen resolution. There is a known issue that prevents you from transferring apps to the external SD card. Lenovo is apparently aware of the situation but has not done anything to resolve the issue. You cannot mount the external card from the Settings menu. It is recognized when running the file explorer. Media and documents can be loaded to it. They are also accessible from other programs so you will be able to play music, load documents etc.

Overall, I like this tablet but just beware, you will be limited to 16 GB worth of apps. For me, this is not an issue. I have about 75 apps already loaded and have only used about 1.3 GB so there is plent of room left.