Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on February 11, 2014
Contrary to the dummy who posted not to buy this laptop, I have 3 of these and they are just fine. Supposedly Lenovo doesn't know how to find Windows 7 drivers for this laptop...huh? A simple look to [...] then navigate to the B590 model and you'll find all the Windows 7 drivers you'll ever need. Just to humor the person with the negative review, I wiped clean 1 of the 3 notebooks and was able to manually install Windows 7 along with all drivers provided from Lenovo's support page with ZERO issues.

Back to the rating - I give it 4 stars because it is a solid laptop for the price. If they bumped up the CPU to an entry i3 or dropped the price to around $349 it would be a steal!
77 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2014
I was getting desperate, I did not want a Windows 8. Finally looked on Amazon, and found this Lenovo in Windows 7. Not
only was I elated with the windows 7, but the laptop it-self, for the price, can't be beat. I particularly like the the keypad,
keys easy to find, with a positive feel.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 16, 2014
This is not a monster gaming laptop, and it doesn't have all the high end parts, but it is solid, and dependable, and good for basic work.
For the money I think it is amazing. Would I like a more powerful laptop? Yes of course. Can I afford to spend two grand to get the best, NO.
But this does everything I really need right now, and does it for a great price. I can't fault it when it is so great for the price.
If you just need a good, sturdy, affordable laptop to do the basics, this is the laptop for you.
0Comment| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 28, 2014
I got this laptop mainly in order to postpone dealing with Windows Eight. Microsoft has a long history of blowing it with a major OS revamp, then getting it right the NEXT time. For instance, Windows Vista was awful then Windows Seven was quite good. From what I have heard, Windows Eight is a mess because it tries to combine two radically different user interface designs. Based on past history, I expect Windows NINE will be much better. I therefore require a means to keep using Windows Seven until Windows Nine comes out -- hence my purchase of this laptop which is one of the last Windows SEVEN laptops made.

Overall this looks and feels solid. Performance is quite good for such an inexpensive laptop, it does all that I need just fine. Of course it you're a heavy video game player it might not meet your needs, but if you're that sort of user then you're probably accustomed to paying considerably more.

Going around the edge, the ports and connectors are:

[right edge]
[front edge]
SD Card
[left edge]
USB 3
[note: look for the letters SS for "superspeed" next to the USB logo, others are USB 2]
HDMI
Ethernet
VGA
Security cable

There are no connections on the back edge of this laptop.

The included optical drive can read and write CD and DVD disks. It is NOT Blu-Ray. When playing DVD movies, I can hook up my projector to either the VGA (analog video) or HDMI (digital video) port. For playing Blu-Ray movies, I recently got a USB Blu-Ray drive.

IMPORTANT NOTE: due to legal restrictions imposed on hardware manufacturers by the Blu-ray Disc Association, BD videos may not be sent to analog video connections (as an anti-piracy measure, which of course like all such doesn't stop the bad guys, it just inconveniences honest users). Therefore, while I could send DVD to my projector from either video connector, when viewing a BD movie I could only use the HDMI port.

Like most recent electronic power supplies, the one I got with this laptop is marked "100-240V 50-60 HZ" which means it should work in most places with a suitable plug adapter. The cord that I got is the standard USA 3-prong type. It does require a grounded outlet, so unlike some laptop power supplies this one cannot be used with a two-wire extension cord.
on March 22, 2014
Kind of hard to find a Win 7 laptop, but this one is still available and reallyfills the bill. The Win 7 is a proven operating system and this has the most updated version. It works slawlessly, as does the computer. I work at a large hospital. We receive 40-50 IBM laptops every few months. All patient/supply work is done on Thinkpads and Lenovos. They work great and the it department uses them exclusively. I'm sure we have over a thousand in allour locations.

This new Lenovo was to replace my old Thinkpad which is 8 years old. After a minor coffee spill the old one quit working, so I bought this one. After setting idle for a couple weeks, the old one now works again. I have two great IBM's now.
0Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 2014
I was searching for a laptop to replace my dell inspiron 1500..I knew I didn't want windows 8, so this appealed to me because of that and the price... I ve used this for 3 weeks now. I use it for email web browsing, and pics and vid editing...Yes thats right, I edit pictures and videos on this, I use corel paintshop pro x6, and corel video studio pro x7.. they are both 64 bit programs, and they run flawlessly. speed is great display is great, I am very satisfied...I did ad a tig external drive for storage...you cant beat this puter with the price.

Cons..they had to save money somewhere so I guess its the shell itself, seems a bit plasticky.. but will do just fine.
the button to open the dvd drive is a bit low...no big deal just open it through my computer..

I have had no problems that other ppl are reviewing about...keyboard issues etc....
on August 6, 2014
I bought this to replace a stolen laptop. I am not a fan of Win8 and had to search a while to find just the right combination of features to meet my needs. This one did not disappoint. Other reviews speak of screen issues etc, but I haven't had anything like than in the several months I have owned this one.

I am not a gamer - so I cannot speak to the graphics quality etc. BUT, I do run Office 2013 as well as several Adobe CS products (Acrobat Pro XI, PhotoShop CS, InDesign) at the same time without issue.

The battery life is great. I was a fan of IBM laptops and the move to Lenovo has not disappointed.

My only complaint would be the speakers. They are beyond tinny and sound pretty bad. Nothing a pair of headphones can't solve.
on April 16, 2014
I got this for a family member that needed a Vista OS replacement and not wanting them to go through the hassle of trying to learn Win 8 this was the perfect choice. I have a Lenovo for myself purchased here on Amazon and I really like it. Mine is a more powerful model.
Biggest headache was the set up. On powerup it needed 39 updates to the OS with several reboots. Why so out of date? That took quite a bit of time. I recommend using an Ethernet cable rather than WiFi initially to speed things up.
Next headache is all the preinstalled software you need to deal with. If you don't want to go with the installed virus protection you next need to uninstall and install yours which is typical.
This also had one of those PC checks that somehow found over 40 threats/problems on the machine right out of the box! Really? I got rid of that subscription based nonsense and installed Malwarebytes free.
There were other pieces of crapware to get rid of and after installing Firefox and a couple other utilities it was over 3 1/2 hours before it was ready for them to use.
My biggest complaint with Win type PCs is they are not easy for the average nontechnical person to simply plug in and run. There are far too many decisions to make. With all the crapware companies stuff on the hard drive they are getting worse. It's no wonder tablets are becoming more popular. Ten to twenty minutes max answering simple questions and you're using it.
on November 17, 2014
In 4 months the dreaded "Fan Error" on start up. I know now I should Google an electronic product. Most reviewers review a product shortly after getting it. The "Fan Error" occurs usually after the warranty runs out, but for us it was 4 months after buying it. After searching, I found that the "Fan Error" is common, and has been around for a few years (so Lenovo knows about it, but seems to be trying to do the least they can about it). The fan runs, but the laptop still says "Fan Error" and shuts down. Escape key doesn't bypass it. I've opened the back to push the fan as others have done as a temp solution, but still doesn't solve the problem. I've put the laptop horizontal, but still doesn't solve the problem. I cannot boot the laptop up. It's useless. At least it's under warranty, but I will have to pay to ship it, and I hear that Lenovo's customer service is poor - I'll find out (and will report back). We have a very old Sony laptop that still works. Quite slow, but still works. We bought the Lenovo to replace it. Lenovo used to be IBM, but IBM sold their PC business to a Chinese company. After moving all programs to this laptop, only to have it die 4 months in - quite annoying, disruptive (this laptop is used by my wife for work - math research, lesson preps, grading), costly (to ship or get a replacement), and time consuming (shipping, waiting for it to be fixed, or if buying a replacement, reinstalling programs - at least data files are backed up).

UPDATE [18 Nov]: I partially disassembled the laptop, to get to the fan to see if there was something bothering the fan (a tiny piece of paper, a dust bunny, hair) making it not spin up as fast as it should and thus signaling to the laptop a fan error, I saw nothing; I reassembled and lo and behold the laptop turned on with no Fan Error. I'm buying a horizontal cooling pad with fans for the laptop. She had one without fans that put the laptop at a slant - many report that the fan error is less likely to occur if the laptop remains horizontal - thus why I am buying one that lies horizontal. Lenovo's customer service needs improvement. They really don't want to confirm there is a fan problem.

UPDATE 2 [Jan 2016] Bought the Cooler Master Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NBC-XSLI-GP) Nov 14 and it's been doing fine. And so far no fan errors.
on June 18, 2014
Replaced the stock hdd with an Adata SP900 SSD. *I cloned the factory drive, UEFI wasn't liking my SSD initially for some reason*
With SSD, and all bloatware cleared, this little workstation boots into Windows in under 15 seconds.

You wont be gaming with it, and you probably aren't going to do any heavy audio or video editing with it, but you probably know that already.

Plenty of power for general work, multiple instances of Chrome and Office apps such as Excel and Word running simultaneously do not max out the stock 4gb of RAM.

At the time of purchase, was 400, I feel this is a good value.

Has options that this same model did not have elswhere (for MORE). Surprised to find that the 2020m supports HT.