Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Leo A Notenboom
I believe personal technology is key to humanity's future.
It has an amazing potential to empower individuals. But it can also frustrate and intimidate.
I want to make technology work for you.
I want to replace that frustration and intimidation with the amazement and wonder that I feel every day.
I want it to be a resource rather than a roadblock; a valuable tool, instead of a source of irritation.
I want personal technology to empower you, so you can be a part of that amazing future.
I just want it to work, for you.
That's why Ask Leo! exists.
Leo A. Notenboom
Customers Also Bought Items By
If the answer is a loud and resounding YES!, as it is for many people, then Backing Up 101 is for you.
In plain English, http://askleo.com’s Leo Notenboom gives an overview of the back up landscape, detailing in story and description six different ways of backing up your data and your computer, including recommendations for when and when not to use each.
Do you know when no backup at all is appropriate?
How about using tools like Dropbox – a data synchronization and sharing utility – for backing up data?
What’s the bottom line safest and best approach?
All that and more in this overview of different ways to back up.
Margo was afraid her computer would blow up — for real!
Paul was convinced he was too old to to cope with the latest changes on his computer.
Sara was afraid of losing forever anything she might keep on her computer.
His friend Martin was scammed by foreigners, and Mike was afraid of becoming a victim as well.
Liz was convinced that doing anything online would expose her private information, including her credit cards, to hackers.
Margo was also convinced that besides all those risks technology was just going to isolate her more from her friends.
With very good reasons, what Margo, Paul, Sara, Mike, and Liz all suffer from is a lack — even a crisis — of confidence when it comes to technology.
These are their stories; stories of overcoming their concerns, and the doors they opened as a result.
If those stories sound familiar; if you or someone you know suffers from a lack of confidence when it comes to computing, the Confident Computing will help you make sense of if all, and show you how you to can use technology safely, securely, and most importantly with confidence.
Backing Up Doesn't Have To Be Hard
"I was immediately so overwhelmed that I gave up."
- An Ask Leo! reader
If that sounds too true, then Just Do This: Back Up is for you.
Backing up doesn’t have to be hard. Honest. Making copies of everything important is about as simple as it can be.
The problem is that there are so many options. Each option requires a decision. Each decision requires a choice. Each choice is an opportunity for uncertainty and confusion.
- Figuring out what, if anything, to buy.
- Understanding what’s “important” and in need of backing up.
- Figuring out how to make backups happen automatically.
- Worrying about the security of your backups.
- Backing up things where the very concept of “just make a copy” isn’t at all obvious.
It can quickly get overwhelming.
Clarity: Just Do This
Instead of giving option after confusing option, Just Do This: Back Up outlines a step by step arrangement for backing up your desktop or laptop PC that just works. Follow these instructions, watch the videos that are included with the book, and you’ll be backed up. You'll be protected against everything from hardware failure to malware infestation and all the minor-to-major inconveniences in between.
I’ll make the hard decisions for you. Together we'll back up your computer, and keep it backed up. We'll:
- Get an external hard drive.
- Make an image backup.
- Schedule automatic image backups.
- Install and configure Dropbox for nearly-continuous backup of your work in progress.
- Install and configure BoxCryptor Classic to protect your valuable data in the cloud.
- Install and configure Dropbox on your smartphone, for immediate backup of the photos you take.
- Install Thunderbird and configure it to back up your on-line email account.
- Talk about a few reminders for things left for you to do manually on a semi-regular basis.
All using free software that you'll download from the internet. And of course I'll show you how and where to do that safely!
Once you register your book, you'll also get access to videos online that demonstrate the software setup and configuration used, as well as updates, errata, prioritized help and more.
Don’t worry - I’ll give you guidance if you want to do things slightly differently. Either way, you’ll also be able to make changes later as your needs, and your own comfort level, changes.
Backups are important. So important that if you do nothing else... Just Do This: Back Up!
Included with every purchase:
- The book, of course!
After you register your purchase:
- The book, in all digital download formats: PDF, MOBI (for Kindle), and ePub (for other e-readers).
- Videos demonstrating software setup and configuration.
- Prioritized contact and support.
- Never lose precious files, emails or data again: Protect your data.
- Reduce the chances of malware ever impacting you dramatically, and recover quickly and easily if it ever does: Protect your computer.
- Travel worry-free with your laptop and its data protected, as well as securing your internet access wherever you may be: Protect your laptop.
- Prevent account hacks and how to recover quickly when they happen through no fault of your own: Protect your online world.
- Learn what we mean by common sense and never fall for scams and scammers again: Protect yourself.
- A downloadable PDF version that you can read on any device capable of displaying PDF files.
- A downloadable MOBI version of the book, ideal for Kindle.
- A downloadable EPUB version of the book, ideal for a variety of other ebook readers.
- Prioritized support and contact to get your questions answered.