Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 101 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 150 reviews
on March 10, 2017
One of my favorite books!
I'm a big, big fan of Mo Willems' last book, "Knuffle Bunny," and was equally delighted by this new picture book about a little monster named Leonardo who wants to be scary, but only seems cute. Leonardo decides to pick on Sam, a boy he determines is the most scaredy-cat kid in all the world, but after he succeeds in making Sam cry, Leonardo realizes he may have actually hurt the boy's feelings, and tries to make amends. A gentle parable about playground cruelty, this is also a beautifully laid-out book, with a bold, expansive use of empty space and clear, easily understood imagery. The serious emotional message is underplayed in favor of a playful tone, and will delight small children... You'll have a lot of fun trading "BOOS" with your kid after each reading. I enjoyed this one a lot, and it's frequently requested at storytime.
on December 25, 2016
This is a great book and Mo Willems as always is a fun author to read. My daughter received this book as a gift about 7 years ago and we purchased a copy for a relative. Modern classic. Book came in great condition.
on March 1, 2006
(I have to write reviews for a class I'm in so here's mine for this book):

Poor Leonardo is terrible at being a monster. He doesn't have 1,642 teeth like Tony. He isn't big like Eleanor. And he isn't `just plain weird' like Hector. Despite his best efforts, Leonardo cannot scare anyone and it makes him very sad. Hope returns to Leonardo after he comes up with the idea of trying to scare the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world, Sam. However, Sam has other things on his mind and after his latest failed attempt, Leonardo makes a big decision that will impact his monster-ness. The drawings in Mo Willems' simply-illustrated picture book do wonders to effect the mood and emotion of the characters and the feel of the story. Though each page contains a simple line of text, the pictures tell the real story. The use of space and perspective allows the audience to feel as small and defeated as Leonardo as he struggles through all of his failed attempts at being ferocious. Children will love following Leonardo's attempts at being scary and adults will root for Leonardo and appreciate his final decision. The book is said to be for audiences `as young as 3 and as old as 36' but the feel created by Willems' gentle illustrations and simple text will guarantee to adore audiences well into their golden years.
on July 24, 2016
Leonardo IS a terrible monster, because he's terrible at being a monster. He just isn't scary. But Leonardo learns, with the help of a little boy named Sam, that he is GREAT at being himself and being a friend. A great story for kids, with Willems' wonderful illustrations, about figuring out who they are, what they're good at, and accepting themselves for who they are!
on May 2, 2016
This book is a gem. It teaches your child that no matter what, your child will be loved for being who they are. The illustrations are scary but in a friendly way. The book is a little big in size to my liking, but my daughter loves it. I could see it being used for story time at the library or a similar gathering. Mo Willems is a genius.
on August 28, 2016
It is Mo Willems what is not too love! This book is adorable and offers joy to young and old readers alike. I love reading this story to my kiddos. If you have not read Mo Willems' books before, you are in for a real treat!
on March 9, 2010
Mo Willems is one of the great children's authors or our time. Don't be thrown off by the title, Leonardo the Terrible Monster is a sweet story about friendship with a twist.

When Leonardo (a monster) can't scare anyone, he sets out to find a scardy-cat kid. He finds Sam. However, Leonardo discovers that maybe being a scary monster isn't what will make him happy and that being a friend might just be more satisfying. With it's silly illustrations and funny text, it captivates both children and parents alike.

We recieved this book as a gift for my then, 3 year old son. We loved it so much that we've since,bought it twice as a gift for two other children in our life.

Our family highly reccommends this book - you will not be dissapointed!
on May 26, 2015
Students like it, we often go back and re-read Sam's page a few times, with individual students taking turns, the whole class, then me again. It's in my arsenal of read-aloud books for elementary classes. I only wish the book was a bit smaller, it's tough to fit both pages on the projector when open. The video of the story is great too!
on January 20, 2016
One of my favorite books from Mo Williams. It has such a great story about a little monster that cannot scare anybody, but meets a little boy named Sam and he ends up with a different perspective on life.