CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Compact size makes this amplifier great for projects and DIY audio applications
- 3.5 mm jack allows for easy connection to iPods, cell phones, and all sorts of mp3 players
- Aluminum enclosure that is lightweight, yet sturdy, and acts as a heat sink
- Tripath TA2020 amplifier chip provides efficient, powerful sound
- Economical price and tremendous performance
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) This amp is really inexpensive. If you cannot spend more than 20 bucks then you may want to take a close look at this amp.
2) The sound quality albeit at low volume is pretty decent. This amp uses the TA2020 chip set which does offer quite low distortion at low volume.
3) The amp has tone controls so you can fiddle with the sound to some degree.
1) You'll be hard pressed to drive a pair of low-sensitivity or 8-Ohm speakers to decent volume with this amp. With an 8 Ohm speaker, you get clean sound to around 5 Watts only. If you crank the amp up to 10 Watts you'll already hit 10% distortion. With 4 Ohm speakers you can get up to 10 Watts per speaker. In fact, the wattage rating of this amp (2 x 20 Watts rms) is truly false. The power supply that comes with this amp gives 2 Amps at 12 Volts. At a power efficiency of 90% you'll get 2 x 10 Watts rms at the most. However, if you have some fairly small speakers then you may be fine. Otherwise, spend a little more and buy another amp.
2) This amp DOES NOT connect to many newer TVs which often no longer have analog RCA outs. Instead you'll either need to get an SPDIF-to-RCA converter or an amplifier such as the Amphony 250 or similar model that has an optical input which is compatible with TVs. My TV luckily does have RCA outs but be sure to check if your TV does.
3) The enclosure of this amp is fairly bulky and not exactly high quality. I opened up the enclosure and found that most of the interior is empty. What a waste of space!Read more ›
1) I bought two of these at different times from Amazon. Both did not ship with power supply - even though they claimed to include them. Amazon has not corrected the product description even after I told them about it.
2) The shipped power supplies were to be a 2 amp one and a 6 amp one in the second case.
3) If you run this amplifier from a 2 amp power supply - here is some news for you. The theoretical max watts your system can deliver would be 12X2 = 24 watts - However, since the amp is running around 80% efficiency - you can get approx 24X0.8 = 18 watts max from this amplifier (best case scenario) or around 9 watts per channel. The problem comes as you drive the amplifier harder. The power supply voltages will start dipping, and as it does so, the amplifier will distort. So your clean sounding amplifier, won't sound so clean after all once you drive it past 7 - 8 watts.
4) To really use this amplifier with low distortion at high volumes, you should use a switching powersupply that delivers 12 to 13.5 volts at 4 amperes. 6 amps is a bit of an overkill, but recommended if you will be using 4 ohm speakers.
5) You cannot use this amplifer with an un-regulated transformer type powersupply rated at 12 volt. Their no-load voltage can be anywhere from 15 - 20 volt and can even be dangerous if connected to this amp - since the supply capacitor is rated at 16 volt.
6) Don't forget the log relationship between perceived loudness and watts - a 100 watt amplifier is only double the loudness of a 10 watt amplifier.Read more ›
I have read some reviews stating that this unit was shipped without a power supply, and I've read of other QC problems. My unit is mislabeled on the back (or is wired backwards), so that the LEFT speaker channel is really the RIGHT, and vice versa. In addition, as you can see in one of my pictures, the power supply is mislabeled. Actually, the company misspelled its own name -- Asian Power DECICES Inc. instead of Asian Power DEVICES -- not a deal breaker, but a heads-up to buyers to be wary. I wonder what the Chinese expression for CAVEAT EMPTOR would be.
I bought this amp for its kitsch value, but I have to say that it is probably the best amp ever produced in this price range (small flaws aside). It pumps decent sound at reasonable volume, and the unit seldom even gets warm to the touch... certainly never hot.
Some have complained that this unit is so light that it slides around the tabletop or desktop when one tries to adjust the volume or tone... I'm not sure how that's a manufacturing issue, or how this can be considered a negative. Should the manufacturer add a steel plate to the bottom of this unit just to make it heavier so that it doesn't slide around? I merely attached four Velcro dots to the bottom and stuck it to my desk (see my pictures). Voila! Problem solved. Or, you can use the four slots in the amp's ample frame to screw it down if you're using this amp in a shop setting.
I'm running two 8-ohm two-way bookshelf speakers from this amp and I find that I get all the volume I need, with truly clean mids and highs.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I use this as my stereo receiver in my bedroom even though it isn't necessarily intended for that. I like it. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Kindle Customer
Sounds great. Easy to install. Comes with power adapter. Works awesome with Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers.Published 10 days ago by Wayne Manion
It's not as powerful as i thought it was going to be. I originally bought it to amplify my turntable for my headphones. It just doesn't work in the way i needed it to. Read morePublished 13 days ago by Richard Bruton
Extremely well built. Bought it to supplement my audio/video amplifier and it turned out to outlast that (which is currently going back for repairs. Read morePublished 13 days ago by Amazon Customer
I bought another after two years. I drive two small 15A speakers for an outdoor hot tub area. I have it mounted above the ceiling tiles on an outside wall inside my house and... Read morePublished 16 days ago by Mark_H
Worked for about a week and then blue light started pulsating indicating poor power feed and would not produce sound. Read morePublished 18 days ago by Karen
Great value, small size but definitely too loud for it's own good. Can't go above about half volume without distortion, but half volume is more than enough for a dorm room or... Read morePublished 20 days ago by Amazon Customer