CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Compact size makes this amplifier great for projects and DIY audio applications
- 3.5 mm jack allows for easy connection to iPods, cell phones, and all sorts of mp3 players
- Aluminum enclosure that is lightweight, yet sturdy, and acts as a heat sink
- Tripath TA2020 amplifier chip provides efficient, powerful sound
- Economical price and tremendous performance
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) This amp is really inexpensive. If you cannot spend more than 20 bucks then you may want to take a close look at this amp.
2) The sound quality albeit at low volume is pretty decent. This amp uses the TA2020 chip set which does offer quite low distortion at low volume.
3) The amp has tone controls so you can fiddle with the sound to some degree.
1) You'll be hard pressed to drive a pair of low-sensitivity or 8-Ohm speakers to decent volume with this amp. With an 8 Ohm speaker, you get clean sound to around 5 Watts only. If you crank the amp up to 10 Watts you'll already hit 10% distortion. With 4 Ohm speakers you can get up to 10 Watts per speaker. In fact, the wattage rating of this amp (2 x 20 Watts rms) is truly false. The power supply that comes with this amp gives 2 Amps at 12 Volts. At a power efficiency of 90% you'll get 2 x 10 Watts rms at the most. However, if you have some fairly small speakers then you may be fine. Otherwise, spend a little more and buy another amp.
2) This amp DOES NOT connect to many newer TVs which often no longer have analog RCA outs. Instead you'll either need to get an SPDIF-to-RCA converter or an amplifier such as the Amphony 250 or similar model that has an optical input which is compatible with TVs. My TV luckily does have RCA outs but be sure to check if your TV does.
3) The enclosure of this amp is fairly bulky and not exactly high quality. I opened up the enclosure and found that most of the interior is empty. What a waste of space!Read more ›
1) I bought two of these at different times from Amazon. Both did not ship with power supply - even though they claimed to include them. Amazon has not corrected the product description even after I told them about it.
2) The shipped power supplies were to be a 2 amp one and a 6 amp one in the second case.
3) If you run this amplifier from a 2 amp power supply - here is some news for you. The theoretical max watts your system can deliver would be 12X2 = 24 watts - However, since the amp is running around 80% efficiency - you can get approx 24X0.8 = 18 watts max from this amplifier (best case scenario) or around 9 watts per channel. The problem comes as you drive the amplifier harder. The power supply voltages will start dipping, and as it does so, the amplifier will distort. So your clean sounding amplifier, won't sound so clean after all once you drive it past 7 - 8 watts.
4) To really use this amplifier with low distortion at high volumes, you should use a switching powersupply that delivers 12 to 13.5 volts at 4 amperes. 6 amps is a bit of an overkill, but recommended if you will be using 4 ohm speakers.
5) You cannot use this amplifer with an un-regulated transformer type powersupply rated at 12 volt. Their no-load voltage can be anywhere from 15 - 20 volt and can even be dangerous if connected to this amp - since the supply capacitor is rated at 16 volt.
6) Don't forget the log relationship between perceived loudness and watts - a 100 watt amplifier is only double the loudness of a 10 watt amplifier.Read more ›
I have read some reviews stating that this unit was shipped without a power supply, and I've read of other QC problems. My unit is mislabeled on the back (or is wired backwards), so that the LEFT speaker channel is really the RIGHT, and vice versa. In addition, as you can see in one of my pictures, the power supply is mislabeled. Actually, the company misspelled its own name -- Asian Power DECICES Inc. instead of Asian Power DEVICES -- not a deal breaker, but a heads-up to buyers to be wary. I wonder what the Chinese expression for CAVEAT EMPTOR would be.
I bought this amp for its kitsch value, but I have to say that it is probably the best amp ever produced in this price range (small flaws aside). It pumps decent sound at reasonable volume, and the unit seldom even gets warm to the touch... certainly never hot.
Some have complained that this unit is so light that it slides around the tabletop or desktop when one tries to adjust the volume or tone... I'm not sure how that's a manufacturing issue, or how this can be considered a negative. Should the manufacturer add a steel plate to the bottom of this unit just to make it heavier so that it doesn't slide around? I merely attached four Velcro dots to the bottom and stuck it to my desk (see my pictures). Voila! Problem solved. Or, you can use the four slots in the amp's ample frame to screw it down if you're using this amp in a shop setting.
I'm running two 8-ohm two-way bookshelf speakers from this amp and I find that I get all the volume I need, with truly clean mids and highs.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have an older version that has been working on my desk at the office for years and the new one is even better since the pop at power on is gone. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Hockey Puck
The first one I got in the mail was chipped and broken on the backside. I sent it back and received a new one with no issue. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Kirby
While the sound quality was adequate for my use, the power light and sound output faded in and out. Returned item, will use different company.Published 6 days ago by Amazon Customer
When it worked it was pretty great but after a year the blue light started flickering out and now the right channel just hums.Published 7 days ago by GCVigilante
included in the box was a power adapter labeled 3.0A - one of the a/c prongs was loose and the amp would not power up - the blue led light pulsed on and off and no output - i tried... Read morePublished 9 days ago by MICHAEL O.
I use this unit in the living room of the apartment connected to two Sony bookshelf speakers. Mostly use it with tv, but sometimes connect for use with music as well. Read morePublished 15 days ago by Ned
This is a great amplifier if you want a portable two-speaker setup.
Easy to set up, with simple clamps in the back to hold speaker wires for each channel. Read more
If there were more than five stars, I would give it! for the price of this amplifier, I did not expect this power and sound quality. Read morePublished 19 days ago by Rhoda