Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on March 8, 2014
'Les Uns et les Autres' is possibly the most wonderful and deeply moving film I have ever seen. It is a film about humanity, about love, war, loss, and redemption. It spans the years from the mid 1930s to the 1980s, and follows four families , French, American, Russian, and German, and the threads of their lives finally come together at the end. It is beautiful and sad and contains some wonderful music. The acting throughout is superb.
The reason I have only given it four stars is because the sound is very uneven. You really do have to watch it with your thumb on the volume button, and I'm not exaggerating.

I bought this multi-region version because I live in the UK, and I also wanted English subtitles. It is a 2 disc version and it came new and sealed. The first disc played all right. The second disc played all right for about five minutes, after which it went horribly wrong. Both the sound and picture were continually jumping and sticking, and it was just unwatchable. Partway through there was about twenty minutes where it was all right, and the last half hour was another unwatchable mess. I returned this to Amazon and received a refund. I thought perhaps I had just been unlucky to get a dud dvd, so I bought it again on eBay, and once again the second disc was useless.

I have now bought it again from Amazon France. This is the original one disc dvd, and it is Region 2, with no subtitles. Thankfully it plays perfectly from beginning to end, apart from the volume problems I've already mentioned. There is not a great deal of actual dialogue in this film, and some of it is in English. As for the rest, I did manage to get the gist of it with my rusty school French. Some of the most moving and memorable scenes in the film did not have any words, and didn't need them.

When I was looking for this film initially, I think there was a Region 1 version which was also a one-disc version, and I'm guessing that that would play OK all the way through.

So, I cannot recommend this film enough, but be careful which version you buy, although obviously if it's faulty you will get your money back from Amazon.
on September 25, 2013
When I first saw this movie, in the 80's, I was stuck by the gimmick, in this 3 hour saga covering the adventures of three generations of four families (of different nationalities) of using the lead actors and actresses to portray their own children, and then grandchildren. But the highlight of the movie must be the performance of the Russian dancer in his two standout extended dances, one to the music of Ravel's Bolero (which is also the alternate English Title of the movie)
This is a very clever movie, covering pre, during and post World War Two, linking the lives (often unknowingly) of Russian, French, Jewish and American families, and despite it's length, the action and interest never flags. There is a huge cast of well-known top actors, the director is Claude Lelouch, and it is one of my favourite movies of all time.
Unfortunately for some reason it does not seem to be available anywhere in DVD format so when I discovered it on Amazon as a 2pack VHS video I grabbed it.and enjoyed it all over again, and again. Great.
on December 15, 2014
I first watched this movie in 1984 or '85. I loved it, and bought it on a VHS tape. That tape was destroyed and I wanted to get it on a DVD. Unfortunately, the DVD I ordered was with Japanese sub-titles which was useless to me, so I returned it. The movie is wonderful, but I wish Amazon would require those selling these products to identify their features, i.e., one of their ads for this DVD said no sub-titles, the one I bought did not say the sub-titles were in Japanese! Again, the move is great, the product I got was not!
on May 16, 2011
One of the Best Epic Films from France. The Film tells the stories of 4 families, from Paris, NY, Berlin and Moscow, since the beginning of WWII to the 80's, their lives and their tragedies, overcome these difficulties to finally all being reunited in a spectacular show at the Eiffel tower's feet listening Ravel's Bolero performed directed, danced and sung by the main characters.

You will enjoy the film If not for the ploy for the music and choreographies. This film could be confusing when some actor plays the part of their own decedents, which is required by the plot to establish that he/she is a next of kin.

it's still one of those rare films that you will love to watch from time to time, to remember us that we are all humans, life always ends in a full circle, the music is all around us and there is always hope that better times are coming.
on September 16, 2015
Finally, after searching for a long time, I found this film. A must see film. Fantastic story of different people who met each other at the end in Paris, with the climax of the "bolero" by Ravel
on December 22, 2007
This is a movie that was released when I was six years old, but its main score, Ravel's Bolero, was forever indelibly imprinted in my mind. My parents introduced me to this movie and when watching it I was completely transported to the era, during and after world war II, when values were different than those of today, life was much simpler and family ties stronger. This movie depicts the lives of three different families who are affected by the vicissitudes of war and how each copes with its multiple effects throughout the different generations. It's as if the clock is stopped and the observer becomes enveloped in the human drama which is inexplicably intertwined and inexorably real. It is a masterpiece of film making and one of the best French movies I have seen.
on February 24, 2016
If you love complex personal stories against a background of world history, gorgeous music and ballet, this movie will entrance you.
on February 11, 2017
my fault I ordered the your area cpmpatibility to use here in the state.... I WOULD CERTAINLY LIKE TO GET ONE THAT WOULD WORK HERE!!! ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
on July 13, 2013
Good story, very well directed, great actors, great music, all great
except some problems with subtitles that are missing in some scenes, in French version some subtitles instead of being in English
are in French when the language is German. Also the sound in some parts is extremely low that we can barely hear a word and suddenly very loud, I should say, back to the regular level. However, beside these editing problems, the movie itself is great.
on May 23, 2007
I was very glad to find this movie on Amazon. I had first seen it when it originally came out. Back then, I saw it in Italy in Italian. I was struck by the choice and sequence of events and how they were developed.

Now I have seen the original French version (this copy had subtitles in English) and am happy to say that it was as good as the first time.

The ending was a bit confusing since the actors of the main characters played their role twice, once as the main characters, then as the grown up children of the main characters!

I don't remember getting confused when I saw it the first time in Italian. But then my French is not as good as my Italian! I have also grown older!!