Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ed Sheeran Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 5, 2017
I will never forget the night John Lennon died. Shock and pain courses through me still, remembering the tv reports. Questions abounded about the person who did this evil deed. Who? How? Why? After reading this book, I have a better insight into just who Mark David Chapman is. He truly has a long list of mental issues. His "little people" definitely show a person with psychological problems. Had he stayed in clinics, perhaps things would have turned out different for all of us. At least I now have a better understanding of who Chapman is. I pray he is never released to civilian life, as I believe - even though he knows what he did and that it was wrong - the world is safer with him off the streets.

RIP John Lennon.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I never realized the evil within Mark David Chapman when he killed John Lennon. He went from a mild mannered human being to a monster when he pulled that trigger, ending the life of a music icon. Especially since he used the book, "the catcher in the rye" as his reason for the diabolical act that millions of people will always remember. It leads me to believe he is where he deserves, in prison for the rest of his life. No excuses or sympathy will change that. Jack Jones did an excellent job in putting this story into writing.
on December 17, 2017
It got really boring about half way through. I never finished it
on December 12, 2015
The first half of the book was veary engaging. It got long when Chapman and others tried to analyze what caused him to do it. It is all very sad to lose such a talent just when he seemed to be finding happiness. We have to remind ourselves that John Lennon was here to share his talent not to meet. All our expectations . Thanks
on March 11, 2008
By his own admission, Chapman was a self-professed nobody, upset with his lot in life, and was looking to lash out at somebody famous. By killing Lennon, Chapman attained status as somebody (namely, "the guy who killed John Lennon"). In an odd way, reading this book only feeds into the attention Chapman craves. I wouldn't say this book is necessarily "pro-Chapman". Using Chapmans own words via interviews and in print form, the material within the book portrays Chapman (to me) to be every inch of the nobody he felt himself to be. There's really no deeper explanation to be found behind the assassination of John Lennon and the reasons why it happened are made abundantly clear; Chapman was exactly what he thought of himself as. A loser. The in-depth probings of the voices inside his head that drove him to do it just illustrate that point in detail, and after reading the book I felt that I was (in an odd way) just giving Chapman a degree of satisfaction, as he was and is little more than a child in a man's body content with receiving negative attention rather than none at all.
on November 10, 2015
I read this book because I am a student of psychology and I am studying delusional psychosis which, after finishing the book, I still feel that the perpetrator had when committing this horrible crime. However, I feel that this book was not portrayed enough as a clinical study of the salient psychological factors that enabled someone to commit this crime. The author seems to elicit sympathy for the perpetrator especially towards the end of the book. The icing on the cake was the fact that the author and publishing company print a short story written by the perpetrator at the end of the book.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 22, 2017
facts I didn't know
on August 10, 2009
I RECEIVED A USED, BUT IN NICE CONDITION COPY OF THE BOOK "LET ME TAKE YOU DOWN". IT WAS GREAT TO BE ABLE TO GET& READ AN OLD BOOK, SUCH AS THIS. AS A LENNON FAN, IT WAS INTERESTING TO READ ABOUT HIS MURDER, AND HIS ASSASSIN.
on February 17, 2015
insightful, thought provoking, perhaps a little macabre. ive just started the book and Im already impressed. Definitely pick this book up. it was written over 20 years ago and it's still as provocative now as it was then.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 4, 2014
Take away the names of Lennon and Chapman and what you have are two individuals that crossed paths, one mentally ill, the other, an unfortunate victim. It happens every day. I worked more than 20 years in criminal justice and I saw it all the time. Mental institutions closed down. Those individuals are allowed to roam free with delusions running through their minds. Not ALL the time, mind you, just sometimes. But that is all it takes. Many however, are medicated and function just fine in society with jobs and families. But there is no cure for mental illness. Like cancer, there is only treatment- IF they think they need it. Once their body builds up a tolerance to the medications that have been working for them for years, they sometimes simply decide to self medicate with legal or illegal substances. If they choose to go back to their Doctor, then they must spend time trying to find a medication that works best for them-some of them making the person feel worse-that is- IF they can afford them. A constant, vicious circle. Family members either abandon them because of their behaviors or ignore them- such as Mr. Chapman's wife did when he told her he wanted to kill Lennon, then flew to New York from Hawaii- not once but TWICE (and she didn't tell anyone!? Just asked him to go get some help) Who would want to believe that someone you know would DO something like this?
This book basically explains not really WHY Chapman killed Lennon but WHAT was running through his mind in the days/weeks/months prior to killing Lennon that caused him to act out as he did.
When we are able to accurately diagnose (because it's SO easy to FAKE!) and discover a cure for mental illness, then we will be able to intercept tragedies like this. (I must admit, praying to Satan for guidance to assist in carrying out his plan probably didn't help make the situation any better either!) What he was thinking and feeling at the time was real to HIM and it was a fascinating read. Whether he knew it was right or wrong at the time is also for someone else to judge.
There are those who will feel that because Mr. Chapman committed a crime, can walk upright and is breathing that he is right where he belongs. I'm positive the Lennon family feels that way- but now when you see Mr. Chapman, he is medicated and probably would not THINK of doing what he did in 1980- just so long as someone has their thumb on him at all times. I'm not so sure prison is the right place for a mentally ill person but that's all we have to offer him- besides the electric chair. Would I take him in? Uh, no. He is definitely a very ill person. Lennon's musical talent was a tremendous loss- but I also know that if Mark Chapman was my spouse, brother or son, I would be equally devastated.

Finally, towards the end of the book (This one is for the die-hard, revenge-filled Lennon fans) are examples of some of the threatening letters Chapman receives by the dozens. I was shocked that they even let him read these letters- as many of them hold nothing back. Some of them made me laugh out loud. What else could he possibly expect?
Read it. The detailed descriptions of Chapman's thought process prior to and after the murder will enlighten anyone interested in attempting to understand...why on earth???
Oh- and if people really believe, as Chapman has said, that he did this to become world recognized? Hmm-let's see, shoot a famous person to become famous yourself because you think you are such a loser there is just no other way -and then lose your personal freedom in exchange for a prison life? It's NOT rational thinking and they need to find a cure.