Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 178 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 223 reviews
on February 22, 2015
I recently discovered John Locke and his Donovan Creed and Emmett Love series. His skills as a spy novelist are tantamount to Ludlum's. I simply can not put his books down. I say I'll just read a few chapters before bedtime and then I find myself so engrossed in Donovan's hilarious, witty, action- packed adventures I'm reading way beyond the hours I had intended. His Emmett Love western series has had me laughing out loud with the repartee between Emmett and the "women folk". Emmett is no Gene Autry,or Roy Rodgers. He's a down to earth, realistic depiction of what cowboys must have been like. They did not all have the cultural or intellectual acumen of Have Gun Will Travel's Paladin or the charming guile of Maverick. Their scruples were sometimes determined by their six shooters rather than their intellects. I guess you can see by now that I am a big fan of John Locke. I may even try to slow my consumption of his novels before I run out of his books to read. If you want some wonderful entertainment, try any one of his Creed or Emmett books . They're all terrific.
Pick up one of his books. You won't be disappointed.
on June 2, 2011
This one just did not hit me right. Sounds good coming out of the box, but when you put it together it doesn't quite stand up. Felt as though characterization was all over the place, motivations bouncing without solid anchors to lock them down. Dialogue a fair way into trite territory. Plot -- well, I can take just about anything in terms of the fantastic, but it has to convince me. This one didn't. Plenty of format mistakes made it hard to plow through. I'm giving Locke a couple other chances, but this one did not grab me, sorry to say.

-W.D. Gagliani, author of Savage Nights
on March 2, 2014
I should start this review by saying this is the first Donovan Creed novel I have read - which means I may have expected too much. But I had a tough time with this book.
This book felt like a bunch of short stories woven together rather than an actual novel. Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I expect a book to have a central plot that includes some type of problem and the entire story is working towards a resolution of some sort. This book seemed to start that way but then it ventured into a bunch of stories that seemed to have no relevance ... The lethal experiment was resolved mid way through, his daughters boyfriend was a detour, his love interest, the Allison story wasn't needed, Callie's love interest, the coma situation, having to deal with Quinn, etc.!!! I just didn't get the sense we were headed somewhere ..... It just felt like the author said "hmmm... Now let's focus on this"!
3 is the best I can give ... And that's because I'm in a generous mood!
on February 9, 2011
John Locke is now on my favorite author list! From the moment I read the first page I could not stop. The emotions are so well expressed between the desperate couple, you find yourself asking could you accept $100,000 if you knew someone was going to be killed even if you were told they were an unpunished murderer? The twisted way Victor (the lethal experiment mastermind) has of deciding who is guilty of murder was shocking as I read it, I actually reread that page a couple of times because his thought process was just so wicked! This sort of reminded me of The Box, but it was explained so much clearer and was more intriguing! I feel you could easily read this book without reading the first because Locke does a great job of giving background information without dragging it out.

Lethal Experiment is the 2nd in a series and follow up to Lethal People, which have to admit I thought was OK, but after reading Lethal Experiment I can't wait to read the others. I feel Locke really came through on this book packing it full of witty humor, action and emotion. He made Donovan Creed much more likeable, which I guess as a contracted killer wasn't quite his goal in the first book! The characters had more feeling and realistic! The emotional balance of his love for Kathleen and Addie and his killing career is a roller coaster of a read and so worth it! I can't wait to read the next in the series, Saving Rachel.
on August 2, 2015
Donovan Creed is the most obnoxious, selfish, manipulative bastard you can possibly imagine ... but he's also one of the most honest, caring and toughest SOBs at the same time.
Locke is a great writer. He constantly keeps you enthralled with the characters, the action and the story line. His books aren't for the 'faint of heart', but they are definitely enjoyable. Unlike most books, you have an easy time keeping-up with his characters, i.e. you don't have to keep endless notes on 'whose-who'. There's a reason he's had the success that he's had - this book is yet another example.
on May 28, 2011
I bought this book because of my addiction to the Jason Bourne series. I was looking for something in that vein and the price could not be beat. I can say that I was not disappointed by Lethal People. Even if it might not have all the detail of a Robert Ludlum book, it had quite a bit of fun in Donovan's bizarre little world.

One of the things I enjoyed about how Locke put the book together is that there is a lot going on. Locke has Donovan multi-tasking and working on multiple projects at once. The characters in Lethal People are all interesting and somewhat unique - a megalomaniac, quadriplegic midget with a god complex, a mob boss, an angry ex-wife, a best friend with severe facial deformity, and a super-hot assassin are just a few of the characters making this book fascinating.

With Lethal Experiment, Creed is pursuing the next of Victor's projects and taking care of business for Darwin and Homeland Security. Unfortunately for him, he develops a health condition that affects him intermittently and puts his life at risk. With a couple of surprises and a big twist at the end, this book will keep you entertained through and through.

If you are looking for a fantastical escape from your daily grind, you will probably be engrossed. Lethal People is a break from reality, and a fun one at that. I highly recommend this book.
on September 5, 2015
It took me a couple of these Donovan Creed books to become an "OOU". During this one the main character began to grow on me. It turns out that the monster CIA killer has a heart after all! He uses his new found emotional gyrations to save his daughter and then he's back to his responsibilities with the Agency while battling a health condition that could cause him to become sloppy and get himself killed. It was an interesting read and I enjoyed it more than the first Donovan Cree book. Keep up the great work John!
on November 7, 2010
Donovan Creed isn't the greatest guy in the world. He has a lot in his past, he seems to like women a little too much, and he asks questions that are uncomfortable...such as, would you take $100,000 knowing that someone would be murdered? At least it may be of SOME comfort that the person who would die would be a murderer themselves. In "Lethal Experiment Trish and Rob have to answer that question. Should they take money that would change their lives knowing someone will die for their advancement? Donovan Creed is a contract killer on the other side of the story. This isn't the first book that the Creed character appears in and I, for one, am happy to see him again. It's nice to get to know a character and then follow them through books instead of having to get to know all new characters every time. Especially when that character is a straight talking, strangely flawed, and yet ultimately a man with a good conscious. How can I route for this Creed character when, in fact, he is a contract killer working for Homeland security as well as the mod? Well, he's intriguing and he's real and you'll have to read the book to find out more about him on your own. Once again, author John Locke takes me out of the "real" world and into a book that reads more like a movie. The pictures are vividly described and I find myself playing scenes in my head long after I've put the book down. Put yourself in these characters positions and ask, would you take $100,000 knowing a murderer would die? Then read "Lethal experiment" and see what happens to Trish and Rob when they answer.
on May 30, 2011
This book was just ok. At first is starts off with a powerful captivating story, adventure, and thriller. But then it gets more dramatic. I really did like this book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is under 18 and anyone that doesn't like sad endings. The ending to me kind of felt short. The most interesting thing about the book itself kind of dies off in the middle of the book which was a little disapointing for me. This would be a good book for someone that likes the Jack Reacher books. I think it is worthy of at least 3 and half stars. It just fell short for me in some areas, it was a great book and I enjoyed reading it, but the ending was sad for me. It might not be for others thought because it depends on what other people think is sad.

What I really enjoyed about this book though was the way it explained really neat tactics in which the characters used for certain jobs and missions. And I especially liked the characters personalities and humor. It was a good book and I will continue to pick up John Lockes works, but it was a little depressing at the same time.

I guess if you want a true story from a professional hit mans point of view, this is the book that you would love to read.

Lethal Experiment (a Donovan Creed Novel)
on November 9, 2010
I first read John Locke's work in his book "Saving Rachel". That book was an absolutely crazy read from just a few pages in. "Lethal Experiment", in many ways, is very different from Rachel. I made the mistake of misunderstanding the order of these books, so it was very nice to read more of the history of Donovan Creed's in this installment.

Locke does a really nice job of crafting Donovan in a way that both puts you off and makes you admire him. His tough exterior and loving nature, if a little off, makes the character very likable.

Creed is somewhat reminiscent of Dexter Morgan from the like titled Showtime show. Creed is quirky, funny, awkward, and deadly. This story doesn't blindfold and kidnap your attention like "Saving Rachel" does, but rather takes you by the hand and; sometimes gently, sometimes forcefully, and other times passionately, takes you through a very well crafted story.

Locke sometimes uses humor in a way that undermines the serious tone he had been using in that section, or vice versa. But, on a whole, this book is very good.
I would recommend this book as well as Locke for many reasons. He crafts in his work a very unique love story, action/thriller novel, with little surprises of humor sprinkled through. This combined with his compelling story pleasantly embeds barbs into your curiosity and takes you for a ride you will remember.