Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 363 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 388 reviews
on April 17, 2007
This is the best tasting shredded (= dessicated) coconut I have found anywhere in the USA. It is organic and sulfite free. This is the unsweetened, finely shredded, very small pieces of dessicated coconut which is used in South East Asia, Australia etc. This is not the same product as American style coconut, of which the most common type is Baker's sweetened angel flake coconut.

I like to buy finely shredded/dessicated coconut because I often bake Australian, British and European style cakes and cookies, which do not work well when made with flake coconut. I have also discovered that finely shredded coconut can be used to make your own coconut milk or coconut cream at home.

Flake coconut and dessicated coconut have a different taste and texture. A cup of sweetened angel flake coconut has about 2 tablespoons of sugar added to it, so it is very sweet compared to shredded/dessicated coconut, which has no added sugar at all. The shredded/dessicated coconut is drier and the pieces are very small compared to the flakes, so it has more surface area. Because of these two things, 8oz of dessicated coconut will absorb more liquid than 8oz of flake coconut. Some recipes will work quite well with either kind of coconut, but others will not, even if you compensate for the sugar and liquid. Its better, especially for baking, to use whatever the recipe originally calls for.

The coconut I received from Amazon tasted very fresh and had a good use by date. If you want to increase the shelf life of the coconut, throw the bags into the freezer or the refrigerator. They will keep there a year. Once a bag is opened, I always keep it in the refrigerator. I don't like buying this kind of coconut from health food stores, as it often comes in bulk bins and has been exposed to the air. Unsweetened organic coconut can get stale or even develop a rancid taste if it is stored open to the air. The sweetened flake coconut is much more stable because it contains preservatives and sugar.

If you are an Australian wanting to make things like lamingtons or coconut ice, you need to use dessicated/finely shredded cooconut. Flake coconut will not give the right results. Dessicated/finely shredded coconut is also excellent for replicating those little coconut macaroon cookies that you find in many Chinese buffet restaurants.

Shredded/dessicated coconut can be mixed with water to make your own coconut milk or coconut cream. I find this is useful because I rarely use more than 1/2 a can when I cook with coconut milk (curries, soups, laksa etc). Sometimes I only want a spoonful or two, to add a little flavor to a smoothie or a banana cake. I have tried making coconut milk from flake coconut, but for my taste, it was way too sweet and did not have a good texture.

To make coconut milk from dessicated coconut:

Method 1. Put equal parts of coconut and hot water by weight into a blender (eg 8oz coconut to 1 cup of hot water). Whizz in the blender for a minute or two. If desired, you can strain and press it through a cloth or a fine sieve when it has cooled down. This is not necessary for most recipes, unless you require a silky smooth texture for the end product. For a lighter coconut milk, use 8oz of coconut to one and a half cups of water, or you can use "lite" shredded coconut to start with.

Method 2.

Simmer equal parts by weight of coconut with hot water until froth appears. Do not boil. Remove from heat and let it sit until it cools down. If desired, you can strain it through a cloth bag or a very fine sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible.

To make a thick coconut cream from dessicated coconut:

Use either method above, but use 4 parts of coconut to one part of water.

I thought the price from Amazon was excellent, especially for an organic product. At the time of purchase, it worked out at one dollar forty two cents per 8oz bag and in my case, shipping was free. I can't find organic dessicated coconut anywhere else at this price.

Overall I was very pleased with the taste, freshness, price and quality of this coconut. I don't think that I will have any problems using up the 12 packets in one year, especially as I won't be buying any cans of coconut milk.
1919 comments| 338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2015
I use Let's Do Organic Shredded Unsweetened Coconut for a few things in my household. This product is great for cooking. Think chicken curry with toasted cashews, tomatoes, and a few sprigs of cilantro. Thicken it with the coconut directly; it adds a nice touch of texture to balance the creaminess of the curry.

I also love to use this coconut to make chocolate macaroons. The chocolate gooiness blends with the chewiness of the shredded coconut to make a seriously decadent treat. This product is so easy to use, it is ready when inspiration strikes and just have to have Raspberry Coconut Bars or German Chocolate cake.

It is so trustworthy and delivers consistent and delicious results when I use it to make coconut milk; and this is at least two times a week. Because I go through this stuff so frequently, I started to buy it through Amazon's Subscribe and Save Program. Just a little tip for those who want to save a little money when buying this product--use this service, it's fantastic.

Making homemade coconut milk with this is so easy and so much healthier than store-bought. Many savvy health-conscious people are already aware of the health benefits of consuming more coconut in their diet. I am talking about coconut being known for reducing inflammation, speeding up healing, improving brain function, and increasing physical speed and endurance.

So my family wanted to try some of these health benefits for ourselves and we did what a lot of people did--we tried the store-bought version of coconut milk. Boy what a mistake that was! It didn't take long to make the connection, but every time we drank the store-bought stuff in our coffee, tea, our on our cereal, we all ended up getting stuffy, runny noses (sorry if this is TMI) that lasted for hours. No big annoyance, I guess, until you realize whatever scary ingredient was in the store-bought product was really causing an allergic reaction each and every time we drank it. And after some sleuthing (yes I am a nutrition geek but I guess I just like to be careful what I feed my family) that scary ingredient causing the allergic reaction ended up being carrageenan. Carra-what you ask?

Ends up many studies show that carrageenan can stimulate the immune system in the wrong way causing inflammation, gastrointestinal disorders, and there is even some evidence that it may be linked to causing gastrointestinal cancer. This definitely didn't sound good to me but I still wanted the healthy benefits of what coconut could offer. So the detective work continued.

I knew tracking down the right kind of raw coconut would be impractical, expensive, and possibly dangerous. I enjoy being in the kitchen but I know I would not enjoy macheteing (is this even a word?) off one or more of my fingers as I tried to crack open a fresh coconut. This was too much and I do have limits. So I quested onward to the best possible solution. Let's Do Organic Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut.

Finally a product that fits all the criteria: healthy/carrageenan-free, organic, easy to use, delicious, inexpensive, and practical.

Homemade coconut milk is really easy to make in case you have never tried it but was a little curious. Just soak one package of this cocnut in four cups of water for 10 minutes, then blend until you have the consistence of a fine mush. I use the "soup setting" on the Blendtec but you don't have to have a blender like this or the Vita-mix, but it does help if you do. If you don't, just soak the coconut for a few minutes longer and might have to blend the coconut a couple of times instead of once.

After you are done blending, strain the mixture in either a nut bag, through a cheesecloth, or a really strong, clean pair of nylon hose. I like to add a touch of sea salt and vanilla to mine but it also tastes great without anything else added. I would say the only drawback to this method is that I haven't quite figured out what to do with the pulp.

If you too are looking for an easy, inexpensive, and health-friendly way of getting more of the benefits of eating coconut, or you just like the delicious taste of coconut, I recommend this product without reservation.
on October 2, 2013
Since I learned to make macaroons on my gluten free style diet I began the trail to find the best shredded organic coconut for my use. After researching several, and checking prices, I settled on Let's Do Organic and never looked back.

My sweet tooth likes treats and coconut is naturally sweet, and egg white provide healthy protein (I'm not vegan, but these can be made vegan style too). Macaroons remind me of the scents of childhood and Mom in the kitchen so it's not only their taste that I love. I also crave the chewiness and the slight infusion of almond extract.

The flavor of Let's Do coconut is fresh and full. The shreds are moist - a necessity for macaroons, in my book.

Since this is dessicated (more finely shredded than the typical American style coconut I grew up eating: Baker's brand product that has added sugar, and tastes like a candy itself) it is richer in the coconut flavor and healthier for me.

Let's Do coconut is superb in cookies, muffins and toppings - as well as added to savory dishes precisely because it lacks the additional sugar of the processed brands. In a pinch, I can puree it to add to a gravy or soup too.

The first time I bought the 12-pack I wondered if it made sense for a one person household, but I quickly realized that the coconut is carefully packaged and the last package kept the product just as fresh as the first one I opened.

This coconut is one way I incorporate coconut oil, as recommended for cholesterol control and so many other health benefits, into my regular diet. These are fresh packages with months left before their sell-by dates. I am delighted with this product and saved a bundle on cost.

Then I subscribed to this shipment, receiving a new box every five months, but you can choose your own delivery schedule. It's a great way to save money.
VINE VOICEon January 22, 2014
I cannot tell you how much I love this coconut! I can eat it straight out of the bag and the flavor is just like fresh coconut. Not to mention it has no added JUNK! Proplylene glycol is added to lotions and shampoos and so many inedible products, why would you want to ingest it? Sodium metabisulfite is added to other coconut to keep it white, well, this Let's Do Organic is white without any additives, so I just don't get it. There is also no added sugar which makes it great for making macaroons and using in cakes, pastries, etc. In fact, my SNOW COOKIE recipe in which I used this brand of coconut has won the LA TIMES COOKIE BAKEOFF in 2012 and also just won the THE BEST BLOGGER HOLIDAY RECIPE EVER with Better Recipes and will be published in the April issue of Better Homes and Gardens. What more do you need? It's great stuff!
on April 14, 2017
I like the product but its not labeled clearly...dummy proof... I wanted the 'flakes' like I bought the last time.. In very small print, it says 'finely' shredded...whereas the flakes just say 'shredded'. Notice the word 'shredded' is very large... 'finely' is very small along the top of the bag.. very frustrating bcuz I now have 12 bags of VERY FINELY SHREDDED coconut... and it is VERY FINE... but I like the product in general...always fresh.
on October 19, 2016
This was so delicious I had to leave a review. I use it to make my own meal replacement shakes, smoothies and butters. The coconut is fresh tasting and very flavorful. I use a scoop of naked Whey,1spoon organic cocoa powder, 1 spoon Truvia, 1cap Mexican vanilla and 1 spoon coconut butter(made from ground coconut flakes) in the blender with ice and a bit of water and wow such a yummy protein shake without anything extra. I will be buying this again.
on October 3, 2015
Let's Do Organic had found a way to consistently produce a high quality product at a very reasonable price. Hats off to them for not cutting corners on the quality of their products or taking the greedy route and charging over inflated prices as a lot of their competitors have chosen to do. I will definitely continue to purchase and use their products. Thank You!!!
on April 7, 2017
This is an excellent product. I use it to make granola and using high quality ingredients has a big impact on the final product. Keep in mind that this coconut is fine shredded and not flaked. This was perfect for my granola because the texture turned out better than usual -- not stringy like I get with other grates.

The flavor of this product is excellent. Highly recommend.
on July 27, 2016
Great for smoothies, overnight oats, baking, making coconut milk, coconut flour, as a topping, etc. Great product at a great price. I am very happy with this purchase.
review image
on July 27, 2007
Essentially the price is 2.65/lb. This is a really good deal. I bought 24 of this earlier (to take advantage of free shipping) and I love it. It's full of the healthy saturated fat that the Weston A. Price Foundation praises. I go through each package in about 3 days, sometimes 2. I just sprinkle it on my meat and vegetables.

The product itself has a nice natural sweetness to it. It doesn't taste too much different from sweetened coconut. It's nice to finally purchase a quality functional food that's cheap.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.