- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 2 hours and 34 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Random House Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: October 14, 2008
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B001IAJKSO
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Letter to My Daughter Audible – Unabridged
|New from||Used from|
|Free with your Audible trial|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
There are few books that I love so much I would read again. This is one of them. I got Angelou's Letter to My Daughter in the mail around 4 p.m. and finished it before bed. I read it to my children as they played, read it after they had gone to sleep, and far into the evening hours. Angelou's words were so poetic and musical I felt as if she were speaking directly to me. I learned of her best and worst moments in life, her ideas about love, death, violence, patriotism and spirituality. I really liked how she illustrated an important situation in her life without telling the reader what to take away from the scene.
My favorite story was when Angelou visited the famous actress Samia in Sengal. Angelou had heard that women in Egypt did not let their guests walk on their gorgeous Persian rugs and decided to test her hostess. She noticed the other guests at Samia's party were not stepping on the rugs and believed Samia had informed them not to do so. So Angelou walked on them, back and forth, back and forth. The other guests smiled at her weakly.Read more ›
* You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
* Be certain that you do not die without having done something wonderful for humanity.
* Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
* Never whine. Whining lets a brute know that a victim is in the neighborhood.
* Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking and you might find a new solution.
* Be charitable. Being charitable doesn't always involve a monetary gift; you can be charitable with a smile and a kind word.
* Kids make mistakes; its ok to love them through it
* When you are genuinely proud of your children, you give them permission to be proud of themselves.
* Miracles can happen through prayer.
* When people ask, "How are you?" have the nerve sometimes to answer truthfully.
* A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face.
* Each of us must care enough for ourselves, that we can be ready and able to come to our own defense when and wherever needed.
* You are never too old to find true love.
Ms. Angelou advises that Courage is our greatest attribute. Read, enjoy, be inspired and be courageous!
This book is for the daughters who have experienced weakness for a man that you know is not good for the soul; for the daughters who find that love for a child is undescribable in that you love them passionately like nothing else in the world no matter what they do; for the daughters that have experienced emotional and physical abuse at the hands of someone that says they "love you" (GET OUT after you have a plan in place); for the daughters that have found her true soulmate (oh what a joy it is).
Read A Letter to My Daughters and buy a copy or 500 for your closest friends at Christmas or birthday.
This book is no different - the essays combine to draw a very personal view of the world. This is a view as seen by a woman, a mother - it is warm, human, and private. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes sad - what they always share is honesty and wisdom.
When you can listen to a wise person, you should not miss the chance. It is a very good sign for the American reading audience that such a "difficult" book made it to the top of bestsellers list. There are very few people such as Maya Angelou - their voices should be listen to very attentively.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This book is inspiring and comforting. It feels like sitting down and listening to stories from your favorite aunt. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Megan Driscoll
This was an awesome perspective on all the ladies in our life who we call "our daughters". I loved the book!!!Published 2 months ago by Dolores H Bernard
I loved hearing Maya Angelou reading this book. Her voice is so calming; yet, one full of wisdom and experience. There were times that I shed a tear as Ms. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Her Own Beat