Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 146 reviews
on April 3, 2016
Great philosophical read. I'd put the impact of this book on my life up there with "Thus Spake Zarathustra" and "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Would recommend.
on June 6, 2017
Great read
on January 19, 2016
Excellent. These men were not "religious" but had great moral integrity that came from within. I like to read the stoic philosophers when I want to cleanse my palate of organized religion. Must read, common sense advice.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
I bought this is physical form after buying it for my Kindle, I loved it so much and wanted the physical pleasure of holding the book in my hands and communing with the writer in the traditional way. I am not sorry to own both versions as I can dip into Seneca's always inspiring wisdom no matter where I am.

I've always described myself as a stoic and always meant to widen my reading of the ancient Greeks and Romans. I decided to start the expansion with Seneca. I've been reading and re-reading a letter every few days. Each one is a jewel of advice, wisdom and compassion.

His letters were written to a young friend on virtually every topic imaginable. The advice is always cogent and true and never trite or condescending. Even though the Romans lived a much harsher life and people matured earlier, I think that one would have to be in middle age to fully appreciate Seneca's wisdom, however, this doesn't mean that the young shouldn't read Seneca - they should just make certain that they re-read him. One of the glories of a reading life is that great and even good books, change as we do. This is especially true of the writings of Seneca.

His wise council applies even to our fragmented, contemporary life. His essay on not wasting time, even when manically moving about is especially appropos. He points out that death is not before us, but behind us as everyday that we have lived already belongs to death - simultaneously sobering, hopeful and true - like all of these essays.

Next I want to ferret out his tragedies as I understand that they were a source of inspiration for the great Elizabethan and Jacobean tragedians and I am certain they contain Seneca's wry wisdom. Highly recommended to those seeking to live life to the fullest.
on December 31, 2016
Solid read. Well presented based on these historical letters and does a good job overall of capturing your attention. Cheers!
on January 23, 2016
Great read, everybody should read this and see how many similarities you can find in today's western society. Also, interestingly, in many ways people have come no further in body or thought since.
on June 25, 2017
Great book! If you're interested in good advice, read this! Good principles!
on September 13, 2015
You'll find real wisdom & insight into human nature in these selected letters of Seneca. And fascinating passages will give you novel keyhole views of the ancient Roman world and life therein.
on April 13, 2017
A true classic!
on January 7, 2017
Interesting and informative book would definitely recommend.