Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Letters to a Young Poet
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 11, 2017
I have been wanting to get hold of this book for a while. It is a beautiful book. But this is a really not the best copy - it looks extremely cheap and badly put together. It was very cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for, but I did not realise it will be such poor quality. On the flip side it was very cheap in price, and it came fast and in great condition. Maybe somewhere in the fine print this was mentioned & I missed it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2013
I read some of the other reviews that mentioned the formatting, but decided to get the Kindle version anyway, mostly due to convenience. But I did not expect it to be that bad. The entire book is essentially a block of text, with no spacing other than paragraph breaks here and there. You would think that an obvious place to leave some space would be between the end of one letter and the start of the next, but there is only a paragraph break between them. A few places in the book a sentence ends abruptly, as if someone had randomly selected some text and cut it out. For instance this piece, word for word from the book:

But I can tell you that later, too, one always remains the same wonderer when going through these books, and that they lose relinquish nothing
overwhelm the reader the first time. nothing of the wonderful force and of the fabulousness whith wich they

That is where the sentence stops. And the loose/relinquish part seems like someone was trying to choose the correct translation and accidentally left both words there.

So I like the book itself, just not this Kindle version of it.
on December 25, 2015
This book was amazing. I'm not a huge fan of Rilkes writing style, but his knowledge makes up for it. Topics range from solitude, to love, to being a writer. It's full of wisdom that I'm glad I now have access to. A definite must read for all.
on April 27, 2015
One of my favorite books. Reading these letters has a way of reminding me of all that is good with the world. Reading these letters can bring a smile to my face. I read these letters and feel as though they have been written to me. I first read these letters my first year at University, and whenever I return to them I find new meaning in each word. I hope Rilke's' words will continue to grow with me through the years, and I hope you find the same solace as I have in them.
on March 5, 2017
Learned about this book from Sister Act 2. A great read for any person aspiring to be anything! Lol
on April 7, 2017
I read parts of this to my students in my Creative Writing class when we started the section on writing poetry.
on May 30, 2017
Not what I expected and I was disappointed although Rilke was considered highly by many.
on July 13, 2016
Beautiful letters with practical advice for a poet, but a little bit dated style and vocabulary. A must read for a rounded education.
on December 14, 2016
This book consists of letters written by Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke to 19-year old Franz Kappus, in response to Kappus seeking guidance and critique of some of his own poems. The letters provides any reader with immeasurable wisdom and inspiration. It is a must read for anyone who is working in the creative fields or simply feeling that their loneliness is overwhelming or prohibiting.
on August 18, 2016
It's a wonderful book recommended to me from someone who is special to me. It's the best translation I've read of the right book for anyone at a crossroads in life. The only flaw I see is the uninspired cover art. I put my own personalized slipcover on it.