Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 29, 2016
Others have covered these jeans in detail and advised us to order the 501 shrink to fit Rigid Indigo, amazon labels it "Rigid STF".... I am here to tell you these are now down to 9oz denim and are in no resemblance to quality 501 STF from yesteryear.

I once was in a Levi's store and asked them why they still mark the red tags with "XX" on shrink to fit when this was historically the mark of the weight of the denim, so 20oz denim when you convert the Roman Numerals to denim weight. They looked confused and had never heard of that before. I was confused they were confused, I wasn't the one working at the Levi's store. The inside pocket now states to look for the "XX" to ensure you are getting authentic Levi's top quality denim.... but it is only 9oz. They are also running TERRIBLY smaller and I wish I ordered a longer inseam, but again as others have noted the sizing depends on where they are made, mine were made in Mexico.

Quality issues:

The red label was not stitched on correctly, or the tag is so cheaply made (feels like paper) that it tore out of the stitching within 3 days with a belt on. See picture.

I ordered size 32 x 34. I measured the new NEVER shrunk inseam because it seemed way to short, it was only 32", maybe 32.5" if I was being generous with the tape measure... it should be at least 34" minimum! I posted a picture next to my old STF 32x34s (they are black and behind the new jeans and have been shrunk) you can clearly see if I shrink the new ones I will lose about 2+ inches and have high water pants as they are only about .5 inches longer than the shrunk jeans.See second Picture.

Terrible quality control

Here is what I am frustrated about. Levi's knows how to make fantastic denim, they just aren't anymore. Levi's knows how to make consistent, uniform sized, reliable jeans with far and above the best materials, they just aren't anymore.... why? The pricing hasn't changed, so why has everything else.

In my search for quality denim at lower cost (it is not hard to spend $100+ on raw denim jeans) I found something in my local Kmart that may help some of you out. They are NOT shrink to fit but are likely the most inexpensive unwashed denim you can find. They are Rustler Indigo jeans (only the Indigo appear to be raw unwashed, I have only found them at Kmart). They are at least 13-14oz denim. There is only one cut (boot cut).

Their cut is actually fairly similar to the 501 if it had a zipper, a little too wide at the bottom though, buy the size you actually need, maybe even a little smaller, not like the Shrink To Fit sizing. They stretch out over time a little bit assuming you aren't washing them. For the price if the fit isn't right have someone tailor it, still cheaper than Levi's and you can feel the difference in the quality of denim Rustler is using.

Now for the best part.....they are only $12 and go on sale for $10!!! Also they have a 1 year warranty where they will send you a new pair if it fails. They age VERY well and show nice wear marks (again assuming you are buying what they label as "Indigo" which are unwashed and stiff raw denim). Don't wash them, treat them like shrink to fit or raw denim. Once they are nice and worn in you can do a soak, freeze them, etc... lookup how to take care of raw denim. Not nearly as cool as Levi's, I know, but Levi's is forgetting their entire history as an American icon and really loosing reputation. No I do not work for kmart or rustler, just a guy who likes jeans that don't fall apart in a month.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
66 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 10, 2015
These are the worst quality fabric jeans/pants by far. I washed them once and they look all stained. They were also wrinkled up, which I thought was a temporary situation. After washing and drying them a couple of times they still look horribly wrinkled. I will return these poor quality jeans right away!
review image
66 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2018
I don’t wash my jeans (ever) so I’ve been trying to find a fit I like in the rigid denim so they wouldn’t stretch out with wear. I followed the sizing guidance based on the idea that I would soak them in hot water for two hours, towel dry, and then wear until completely dry. I also used a hairdryer when they were 75% dry just help speed up the process so I could sit down without dying my sofa.

I am 5 ft11”, 180 lbs. I wear a 33x32 in the 511 jeans (with stretch). I ordered a 34x34 realizing there would be no stretch in the waist, and they’re a mid rise, not low like the 511. The waist is perfect, and the fit is what I wanted. Relaxed, but not comical boot cut looking jeans. The length is where I want it after drying, I double cuff my jeans with 1.5” cuff. Hopefully this helps anyone trying to figure out how to order the rigid denim. Now I’ll see how well they hold up to daily wear.
on November 17, 2017
I knew I wanted Levi 501's; I like the way they fit on me. I also knew I wanted dark-colored jeans. Everywhere I looked (Macy's, JCP, Levi Store, etc.) they were on sale for $39.99 or $49.99. Here on Amazon, I bought them for $9.63. After reading reviews to make sure they were not counterfeit, I took a chance and bought a pair -- and I am glad I did! They were made in Indochina but the stitching, the look and the feel are all perfect and what I would expect from the $50 pairs. They fit and I like the color, despite the name (Note to Levi's: NO ONE wants something that is "Plankton" colored. It sounds disgusting). Maybe that's why they cost $10.

The only negative is the "box" label with the size on the back (see picture). On the left side there is an "extra" half inch or so. No big deal -- I took out a pair of scissors and now it looks perfect. I was so pleased by the jeans that I bought a second pair.
on May 7, 2016
The photos shows 2 pair of shrink-to-fit 501's that are 38x34 (I normally wear 36x30 or 36x32). In both photos the bottom pair haven't been treated yet.

For the top pair, I wore them in a tub of hot water for 30 minutes, let them line dry until damp, and then wore them until they were dry (did some housework and walked 2 miles). The length shrank ~3".

The second photo shows the waist shrinkage, ~1" so far (both top buttons are aligned-notice the difference between the labels) and from past experience the waist will probably shrink another .5-1" over time.

I don't plan on washing them again for about 6 months, probably longer.
review imagereview image
22 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 25, 2017
This seems like a great Jean out of the package but you're gonna want to order about 3 sizes up from your true fit in the waist since it runs about 1 size small to begin with and it shrinks an additional 2 sizes after the first wash. You also want to order them 2 sizes up in the inseam as is traditional with most shrink to fit Levi's jeans. That being said, these jeans don't seem to age very well unlike their Mexican, American and Egyptian made counter parts. Out of the bag, the fabric is thin but seems stiff and durable. After the first or 2nd wash however it becomes clear that the fabric is very susceptible to wrinkles and fraying. Below I've included a picture of the 2 pairs of jeans I bought (both the same just different sizes) the one on the left has about 3 washes on it. The one on the right is brand new.
on March 4, 2017
I started putting these pants on and discovered that instead of a zipper, they have a button-up fly, which I'm just now learning is a thing. Why on God's green earth would anyone want a button up fly? What if I went into a bar restroom with these pants on and had to drunkenly wrestle with 4, count 'em 4, buttons while trying to use the urinal? The buttons even have horizontal slits instead of vertical so that they're extra difficult to unbutton. Is this some sort of cruel prank? WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THIS?
review image
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 17, 2011
I purchased 2 pairs of Levi's 501's and I am returning both pairs. Apparently, Levi's ships lesser quality jeans to Amazon because you can't see them before you buy them.

Both pairs of jeans have lines up the legs where the fabric spools were welded together. I have washed them 3 times now hoping the lines would disappear after a few washes but no luck. THESE ARE NOT THE SAME JEANS I HAVE BOUGHT IN STORES. I AM SURPRISED AMAZON ACCEPTS THEM INTO THEIR INVENTORY. THEY ARE POOR QUALITY. GO TO SEARS SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. I HAD TO IRON THESE JEANS TO WEAR THEM. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO IRON 501'S.

Maybe Amazon buys them at a discount? I don't know. But these jeans sure do suck.
88 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 18, 2018
I started buying 501 STF jeans a few years ago as an introduction to raw denim. I wanted to see what the raw denim craze was all about, and at typically $40, the 501 STF is about the cheapest pair of raw denim jeans you can find. Once you get the sizing and shrinking process down, you'll love them! Here is what I do:
1.) I size up 2 inches in the length and size down one in the waist. I wear a 36x30 in Levi's 541 (also a great pair of jeans if you want a slimmer look), and so in 501 STF I order a 35x32. The extra 2" in the length allows me to do a very small double cuff, which i prefer.
2.) I then soak them by themselves (inside out with no agitation to retain color) in a tub of HOT water for 30-45 minutes. I make sure to weigh them down and submerge them.
3.) I then let them hang dry, and they are usually dry within 24 hr. You'll see a lot of people recommend wearing them while wet, but I've seen this lead to baggy knees and diaper butts in the jeans.
4) Then I simply wear the crap out of them. They are VERY tight in the waste at first, but after about 2-3 days of continuous wear, they stretch and become extremely comfortable in the seat/thigh area.

One caveat about these jeans is that since they are raw denim, they are fairly stiff and not soft. They will soften up over time with wear and washes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 27, 2016
I have two pairs of Levi's 501 jeans that are 15+ years old and one pair that is 20+ years old, all the same size, and getting a bit aged in terms of wear. Thought it was time to replace them. Bought a pair of 501 shrink-to-fit jeans in the same size as my old jeans, cost about the same as 2-3 pairs of Wal-Mart or Target jeans.

Brought them home, started in on the shrink process. Then spent some more time on it. And then some more time. And strange thing, I noticed several problems:

(1) After shrinking, they didn't feel right. Still stiff, but not nearly heavy enough compared to what I remember.
(2) They did not shrink to the same fit as the old jeans. These ended up baggy, as though I bought a size or two too large.
(3) The stitching was all different. Hem is chintzy, and inseam was single (instead of double) felled (one row of stitches, not two).

Oh no, I thought—I got counterfeit jeans! Looked more closely. Pinched the fabric between my fingers. The fabric on these brand new shrink-to-fit jeans is probably half as thick as the fabric on my 20-year-old jeans that have been washed hundreds of times. I wear them for a while and they stretch out like Wal-Mart or Target jeans, and in the areas where they are stretching, the white part of the weave is easily visible between the blue parts, like the fabric is barely hanging on. These things are not going to last very long. Probably about as long as—you guessed it—Wal-Mart or Target jeans.

Then I did some online research and spoke with a former Levi's employee and discovered a few things:

(1) Since I last bought 501 jeans, Levi's has listened to "market trends" and recut the 501 series to a "more relaxed" fit that "consumers demand."
(2) They are also using lighter denim, 12 pound (or lighter!) instead of the old 20 pound raw denim, to cut costs.
(3) They have also changed cut and stitching in the hem and inseam, to reduce fabric needs, you guessed it, to cut costs.

I was asked to check the tag and see where the jeans were made. Haiti. I'm told that Haiti is at the low end of the 501 shrink-to-fit hierarchy, with thinner fabric and worse workmanship. They tell me to look for Mexico or Egypt jeans, they should have better fabric and better stitching. If I want closer to the 501s I already wear, I need to buy the "Made in the USA" version which runs $160 a pair, and it still won't match because of the changes to reduce fabric use (i.e. single vs. double felled inseam).

So basically—I feel cheated. I spent a lot of extra money for Wal-Mart jeans. I hate wasting money. Looks like there's no real reason to buy 501s any longer. I'm sad, because I love my old jeans.

Basically, I did get counterfeit 501 jeans at the end of the day. They just happen to be made by the shell of the company that used to be called Levi Strauss & Co.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.