Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,906 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,084 reviews
on April 23, 2015
A couple weeks ago, after reading all the praise of raw denim, I decided to try a pair of the Levi's 501STF jeans. First off, some background info: I typically wear a 34x32 in jeans depending on the brand and style. I have some Levis 550s + a couple pair of 7 for All Mankind jeans which I wear regularly sized 34x32. After trying a couple different sizes of 501s I finally settled on 501STF 36W x 34L.

New, out-of-the-pack, the 501s were very boxy, rough feeling, and heavy. They fit loose in the waist, seat & thighs.

Instead of doing a hot water soak in the tub before the first wear, I threw the 501s in the washer and ran them on a light agitation mini-cycle wash using hot water only; no detergent. After the wash cycle, I pulled the jeans out & put them on wet, wearing them until they dried. Straight out of the washer the jeans were almost uncomfortably confining in the waist and thighs, and generally felt very heavy and tight. However, after a couple of wears they softened considerably & loosend up all over. Now I wear a belt with them to keep them from drooping/sagging.

I've since done one additional hot water soak in the tub. In total the length of the jeans shrank from 34L to approximately 32L which is great for me. The waist shrank at least one size and are now about as loose as my pair of 34 Levi's 550s.

Now my decision is whether or not to keep wearing them without washing, hoping for the "perfect fade"! Overall I'm very pleased with these jeans. I also really dig that retro 1970s indigo dark blue color!
on March 29, 2017
I guess I should count myself lucky because I have a 20- or 30-year-old pair in the same size to compare these to... But when I do, I'm not crazy about what I see. The fit is about the same, except that the old ones have been through the dryer many a time, and these have only been hung up to air dry. I'm thinking to go up an inch, but after 20+ years, I suppose that's onlly fair.

Otherwise, the denim itself is lighter weight and the craftsmanship is not comparable. The seams inside the leg, for example, now have one row of stitching, rather than two, and the stitch count (stitches per inch) is definitely lower, suggesting an emphasis on quantity over quality.

They're still a decent pair of jeans for the price - this is my second pair and they definitely out-last another big brand.. though my point of comparison with the other brand is 1/3 the price, so I probably shouldn't expect much. For what it's worth, I wear these at least six days a week - in cooler weather, anyway - and wash them only when they really start to look disreputable. So for me, if they last 3-4 months, that's a pretty reasonable value...
on August 31, 2016
I've been wearing these for over 50 years. The most significant change is where they are made. The most recent pair is from Haiti, the previous ones were from Egypt and before that from Mexico. Because they shrink so much, they're a bit tricky to buy because the off-the-shelf fit does not correspond to their fit after about four wash and (hot) dry cycles. They shrink 10%. That's most noticeable in the length. Waist shrinkage can be offset somewhat by stretching during wear. After they're washed the first few times, it's a struggle to close the waist but the jeans eventually relax through the waist. The shrinkage in the length is forever.
on April 7, 2017
I purchased the same size Levi's I have worn for years. This pair was too short and small around the waist. (No, I have not gained weight.) You don't know how they fit until you wash them, but then you can't return them. This pair went to Goodwill. $50 wasted. Will never by Levi's again. Also, quality of fabric is way below my expectations. This brand has decline tremendously.
on March 13, 2016
Horrible quality.

Accounting for the shrinking I bought it a size bigger than my regular 501's. But it shrinked way more than it said. It fit quite large before washing, but after... It did not fit at all ... and even the length shrank well over an inch.

Just after the first wash it got crumpled up so badly I did not even attempt to iron it. Went straight to return it.

I've never had any problems with any of my other Levi's before, and I've always been a Levi's fan. This is the first time they fail me so horribly.
on September 6, 2017
I've been searching for pants for dudes who lift. I did as recommended and bought two sizes too big in length, normal size in waist, soaked in hot water for 20 min, and let them dry while wearing. They're about right in length now for me: a full break without a lot of stacking. Material is thicker than the cheap ass jeans I've been wearing apart for too long. They fit pretty well compared to my non STF pants. The dark denim looks unremarkable; hopefully they don't look too much like dad jeans. remains to be seen how well they wear.
on May 14, 2017
As others have mentioned Levi's 501 are not the same as they used to be! The material is very thin, 12 oz. maybe. I am 56 yrs. old and have been wearing 501 jeans since the sixties. They have gone down hill folks. I have ordered 3 pair on line, 1 pair made in Mexico, 2 pair from Egypt, all look and fit a little different. All three pair the right leg is about a 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the left leg. At $50+ a pair, that is unexceptable.
on September 21, 2017
These do not fit as expected. Now before you say to me "hey, you may be gaining some weight," know that I have been wearing Levis 501 shrink to fit jeans for decades. I know my size now and what it has been throughout the years. In the past they have all fit well. For decades. These are just too tight in the waist. The only difference I see in the jeans I already have (which fit) and these jeans is the ones I already have were made in Poland, and these were made in Mexico. Different factory, different people, different fit. Levi Strauss & Co, fix this please. I can't return them because I already threw away the packaging because I thought I could trust Levi Strauss & Co. Silly me.
on June 3, 2016
The material is different and it is awful. I've been wearing the same pants for 30 years and this new stuff is almost unwearable. It looks different, it's stiff and comes out of the dryer so wrinkled you almost have to iron it.

It isn't my imagination. I have a new pair of the same pants (same part number, etc) that still have the tags on them and when placed side by side with these new abominations it is obvious that they're different. Why Levi would change material is beyond me.
on December 21, 2016
Just what I wanted.

I usually buy a 32x34 and did so here.

They shrunk just a little, but overall it was absolutely fine.

I washed them warm and then let them air dry a few times before I started just washing them normally.

Most of the shrinkage I notices was in the crossgrain (around), the grain (length) was almost no shrinkage (this I expected, just adding it to help if you guys want the input).

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.