BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2016
Others have covered these jeans in detail and advised us to order the 501 shrink to fit Rigid Indigo, amazon labels it "Rigid STF".... I am here to tell you these are now down to 9oz denim and are in no resemblance to quality 501 STF from yesteryear.

I once was in a Levi's store and asked them why they still mark the red tags with "XX" on shrink to fit when this was historically the mark of the weight of the denim, so 20oz denim when you convert the Roman Numerals to denim weight. They looked confused and had never heard of that before. I was confused they were confused, I wasn't the one working at the Levi's store. The inside pocket now states to look for the "XX" to ensure you are getting authentic Levi's top quality denim.... but it is only 9oz. They are also running TERRIBLY smaller and I wish I ordered a longer inseam, but again as others have noted the sizing depends on where they are made, mine were made in Mexico.

Quality issues:

The red label was not stitched on correctly, or the tag is so cheaply made (feels like paper) that it tore out of the stitching within 3 days with a belt on. See picture.

I ordered size 32 x 34. I measured the new NEVER shrunk inseam because it seemed way to short, it was only 32", maybe 32.5" if I was being generous with the tape measure... it should be at least 34" minimum! I posted a picture next to my old STF 32x34s (they are black and behind the new jeans and have been shrunk) you can clearly see if I shrink the new ones I will lose about 2+ inches and have high water pants as they are only about .5 inches longer than the shrunk jeans.See second Picture.

Terrible quality control

Here is what I am frustrated about. Levi's knows how to make fantastic denim, they just aren't anymore. Levi's knows how to make consistent, uniform sized, reliable jeans with far and above the best materials, they just aren't anymore.... why? The pricing hasn't changed, so why has everything else.

In my search for quality denim at lower cost (it is not hard to spend $100+ on raw denim jeans) I found something in my local Kmart that may help some of you out. They are NOT shrink to fit but are likely the most inexpensive unwashed denim you can find. They are Rustler Indigo jeans (only the Indigo appear to be raw unwashed, I have only found them at Kmart). They are at least 13-14oz denim. There is only one cut (boot cut).

Their cut is actually fairly similar to the 501 if it had a zipper, a little too wide at the bottom though, buy the size you actually need, maybe even a little smaller, not like the Shrink To Fit sizing. They stretch out over time a little bit assuming you aren't washing them. For the price if the fit isn't right have someone tailor it, still cheaper than Levi's and you can feel the difference in the quality of denim Rustler is using.

Now for the best part.....they are only $12 and go on sale for $10!!! Also they have a 1 year warranty where they will send you a new pair if it fails. They age VERY well and show nice wear marks (again assuming you are buying what they label as "Indigo" which are unwashed and stiff raw denim). Don't wash them, treat them like shrink to fit or raw denim. Once they are nice and worn in you can do a soak, freeze them, etc... lookup how to take care of raw denim. Not nearly as cool as Levi's, I know, but Levi's is forgetting their entire history as an American icon and really loosing reputation. No I do not work for kmart or rustler, just a guy who likes jeans that don't fall apart in a month.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2017
I guess I should count myself lucky because I have a 20- or 30-year-old pair in the same size to compare these to... But when I do, I'm not crazy about what I see. The fit is about the same, except that the old ones have been through the dryer many a time, and these have only been hung up to air dry. I'm thinking to go up an inch, but after 20+ years, I suppose that's onlly fair.

Otherwise, the denim itself is lighter weight and the craftsmanship is not comparable. The seams inside the leg, for example, now have one row of stitching, rather than two, and the stitch count (stitches per inch) is definitely lower, suggesting an emphasis on quantity over quality.

They're still a decent pair of jeans for the price - this is my second pair and they definitely out-last another big brand.. though my point of comparison with the other brand is 1/3 the price, so I probably shouldn't expect much. For what it's worth, I wear these at least six days a week - in cooler weather, anyway - and wash them only when they really start to look disreputable. So for me, if they last 3-4 months, that's a pretty reasonable value...
on August 31, 2016
I've been wearing these for over 50 years. The most significant change is where they are made. The most recent pair is from Haiti, the previous ones were from Egypt and before that from Mexico. Because they shrink so much, they're a bit tricky to buy because the off-the-shelf fit does not correspond to their fit after about four wash and (hot) dry cycles. They shrink 10%. That's most noticeable in the length. Waist shrinkage can be offset somewhat by stretching during wear. After they're washed the first few times, it's a struggle to close the waist but the jeans eventually relax through the waist. The shrinkage in the length is forever.
on March 13, 2016
Horrible quality.

Accounting for the shrinking I bought it a size bigger than my regular 501's. But it shrinked way more than it said. It fit quite large before washing, but after... It did not fit at all ... and even the length shrank well over an inch.

Just after the first wash it got crumpled up so badly I did not even attempt to iron it. Went straight to return it.

I've never had any problems with any of my other Levi's before, and I've always been a Levi's fan. This is the first time they fail me so horribly.
on September 6, 2017
I've been searching for pants for dudes who lift. I did as recommended and bought two sizes too big in length, normal size in waist, soaked in hot water for 20 min, and let them dry while wearing. They're about right in length now for me: a full break without a lot of stacking. Material is thicker than the cheap ass jeans I've been wearing apart for too long. They fit pretty well compared to my non STF pants. The dark denim looks unremarkable; hopefully they don't look too much like dad jeans. remains to be seen how well they wear.
on May 14, 2017
As others have mentioned Levi's 501 are not the same as they used to be! The material is very thin, 12 oz. maybe. I am 56 yrs. old and have been wearing 501 jeans since the sixties. They have gone down hill folks. I have ordered 3 pair on line, 1 pair made in Mexico, 2 pair from Egypt, all look and fit a little different. All three pair the right leg is about a 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the left leg. At $50+ a pair, that is unexceptable.
on June 3, 2016
The material is different and it is awful. I've been wearing the same pants for 30 years and this new stuff is almost unwearable. It looks different, it's stiff and comes out of the dryer so wrinkled you almost have to iron it.

It isn't my imagination. I have a new pair of the same pants (same part number, etc) that still have the tags on them and when placed side by side with these new abominations it is obvious that they're different. Why Levi would change material is beyond me.
Enthusiast: Sewingon December 21, 2016
Just what I wanted.

I usually buy a 32x34 and did so here.

They shrunk just a little, but overall it was absolutely fine.

I washed them warm and then let them air dry a few times before I started just washing them normally.

Most of the shrinkage I notices was in the crossgrain (around), the grain (length) was almost no shrinkage (this I expected, just adding it to help if you guys want the input).
on March 2, 2017
I am so content to have found these pants on Amazon, I was never able to find my size at any of the local retail or outlet stores, I need the 38" length. Since I have found these on Amazon, I have made annual orders past 3 years. At first, I was skeptical of the quality and material but these are truly like the 501's that I used to get years ago, not like some of the ones that you find in the stores consisting of stretch denim or other type of lightweight denim. Be sure to follow the directions in order to determine the correct size to order, they'll arrive stiff like canvas and a bit large but given time, they will soften and form to your body, eventually to fit you like a glove. I usually order two pairs a year as they start out as my "going-out" jeans then transition to my work jeans. I see myself continuing to purchase these 501's in the years to come.
on November 6, 2014
I have two other pairs of shrink-to-fit I bought at Dillard's that actually shrank to fit. These must be seconds because they are baggier than I would like. Also annoying is that the seam on the right leg goes from the side at the top of the leg to almost the very front of the leg down at the bottom. Left side ok and probably no one would notice but I don't like it. OK for work outside but not for dress.
I bought another pair recently and they are rigid as advertised. Too rigid. Also shrank more than the first pair and are a little tighter fit. Seam on the right leg is again down straight down the side but ends up close to the front when worn. Not noticeable i suppose.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.