Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on January 29, 2016
Others have covered these jeans in detail and advised us to order the 501 shrink to fit Rigid Indigo, amazon labels it "Rigid STF".... I am here to tell you these are now down to 9oz denim and are in no resemblance to quality 501 STF from yesteryear.

I once was in a Levi's store and asked them why they still mark the red tags with "XX" on shrink to fit when this was historically the mark of the weight of the denim, so 20oz denim when you convert the Roman Numerals to denim weight. They looked confused and had never heard of that before. I was confused they were confused, I wasn't the one working at the Levi's store. The inside pocket now states to look for the "XX" to ensure you are getting authentic Levi's top quality denim.... but it is only 9oz. They are also running TERRIBLY smaller and I wish I ordered a longer inseam, but again as others have noted the sizing depends on where they are made, mine were made in Mexico.

Quality issues:

The red label was not stitched on correctly, or the tag is so cheaply made (feels like paper) that it tore out of the stitching within 3 days with a belt on. See picture.

I ordered size 32 x 34. I measured the new NEVER shrunk inseam because it seemed way to short, it was only 32", maybe 32.5" if I was being generous with the tape measure... it should be at least 34" minimum! I posted a picture next to my old STF 32x34s (they are black and behind the new jeans and have been shrunk) you can clearly see if I shrink the new ones I will lose about 2+ inches and have high water pants as they are only about .5 inches longer than the shrunk jeans.See second Picture.

Terrible quality control

Here is what I am frustrated about. Levi's knows how to make fantastic denim, they just aren't anymore. Levi's knows how to make consistent, uniform sized, reliable jeans with far and above the best materials, they just aren't anymore.... why? The pricing hasn't changed, so why has everything else.

In my search for quality denim at lower cost (it is not hard to spend $100+ on raw denim jeans) I found something in my local Kmart that may help some of you out. They are NOT shrink to fit but are likely the most inexpensive unwashed denim you can find. They are Rustler Indigo jeans (only the Indigo appear to be raw unwashed, I have only found them at Kmart). They are at least 13-14oz denim. There is only one cut (boot cut).

Their cut is actually fairly similar to the 501 if it had a zipper, a little too wide at the bottom though, buy the size you actually need, maybe even a little smaller, not like the Shrink To Fit sizing. They stretch out over time a little bit assuming you aren't washing them. For the price if the fit isn't right have someone tailor it, still cheaper than Levi's and you can feel the difference in the quality of denim Rustler is using.

Now for the best part.....they are only $12 and go on sale for $10!!! Also they have a 1 year warranty where they will send you a new pair if it fails. They age VERY well and show nice wear marks (again assuming you are buying what they label as "Indigo" which are unwashed and stiff raw denim). Don't wash them, treat them like shrink to fit or raw denim. Once they are nice and worn in you can do a soak, freeze them, etc... lookup how to take care of raw denim. Not nearly as cool as Levi's, I know, but Levi's is forgetting their entire history as an American icon and really loosing reputation. No I do not work for kmart or rustler, just a guy who likes jeans that don't fall apart in a month.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
66 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 23, 2017
I've five bought pairs of this style. The colors are vibrant and the fit is great for my 6' 4" 170 lb. figure. Definitely on the slim fit side. As a tall, lanky person I found these very flattering. Washed one pair in the machine by mistake, don't do that. Levi isn't joking about the wash-to-fit. Follow washing instructions!! Shrinkage aside, these are well-made jeans worth the money.
on October 27, 2015
Very inconsistent sizing. No quality control. The pair I bought seemed constructed from mismatched sections. Normal length for the size listed, slightly tight waist, but the seat was several several sizes too large. All this, after shrinking. When the jeans were tried on before shrinking, they appeared uniformly over-sized, and the assumption was that they would shrink evenly. This pair now looks like the lower half of a clown's costume, and are basically useless for me. It's what I've come to expect from Levi's products these days. Buy four pair and three will be acceptable if you're lucky. My recommendation is find the lowest price, roll the dice and hope for the best.
on December 8, 2017
These didn't shrink as much as the instructions led me to believe they would. But they're still very comfortable very quality. I will definitely buy another pair. FYI, I used the method of hot soaking, hanging until they're just damp, and then wearing them until they were dry.
on January 16, 2015
Great looking denim for the price. I used the soak method and they did shrink a little, but not nearly as much as the label says. Also they have relaxed a bit since wearing them a few days. I'll probably pick up another pair at some point, 1 inch tighter in the waist. These are not selvedge (nothing days they are, but they do come up first when you search selvedge on Amazon) and they are fairly lightweight compared to most selvedge denim you find.
on June 14, 2016
My husband loves this original one, turns to a really blue jeans. He is 5'3 and weight 140 pounds. Hè wears 30x30 fit to shrink. Fits awesome, and the material is absolutely durable. Not soft, is right the way a Levis must. Price is excellent in Amazon. We will just purchase his jwans, here. Not in any shopping Mall, more expensive and sometimes not in stock, or material maybe will not the same. We got the best jeans.
on July 21, 2017
I have loved 501s since I was a kid. Button fly, straight leg, and shrink to fit make them classic. I followed the guidelines adding to the waist and inseam and they fit perfectly after washing and drying in the dryer. Levi's also recommends other methods like putting them on, sitting in a tub, and wearing until dry, or apparently never washing them at all. I don't get those methods. Wearing brand new, wet 501s until they're dry..., hmm, sounds like a good way to turn your lower half blue. I'm guess I'm just too old....
on July 8, 2015
I'm pleased with these jeans for a first pair of "raw" denim jeans.

In order to find my size, I went to a local department store and tried on pre-shrunk pairs. I ended up on 32x32. Levi recommends sizing up an inch in the waist and 3 in the leg. I ended up going with 33x34 in the STF. After a hot soak and shrink, they honestly still seemed a little large. Nevertheless, I pressed on and have worn them very frequently over the last 3-4 months, I'd estimate 40-50 wears. I machine washed them cold last night, and hung to try. I am happy to report the shrank a little more and now seem about dead on for size.

Regarding fading (if you're in to that) I have very little to mention: some in the crotch, some in the seat and rear legs, and some in the entry to the front pockets. You can barely make out the outline to my wallet and cell phone.

All in all, I'm happy with these jeans and they seem like they're going to last forever with my current 3 month wash schedule, even with 3+ wears per week.
on November 29, 2017
Waist is ok, a little tight but way too short!
Wish the would give the option like in the past to get it with 30 waist & 31” length.
32” is way too long.
Wish I would have ordered a 30” waist instead of the 29” but too late now.
on November 6, 2017
I've probably had 10 shink-to-fit 501s. They're just perfect for me. +2 inches inseam and +1 inch for waist to ensure they fit right after shrinking (based on my 36 inseam, 32 waist). They'll shrink further with additional drying, so do an additional inch if you plan to frequently dry.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.