Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2016
Others have covered these jeans in detail and advised us to order the 501 shrink to fit Rigid Indigo, amazon labels it "Rigid STF".... I am here to tell you these are now down to 9oz denim and are in no resemblance to quality 501 STF from yesteryear.

I once was in a Levi's store and asked them why they still mark the red tags with "XX" on shrink to fit when this was historically the mark of the weight of the denim, so 20oz denim when you convert the Roman Numerals to denim weight. They looked confused and had never heard of that before. I was confused they were confused, I wasn't the one working at the Levi's store. The inside pocket now states to look for the "XX" to ensure you are getting authentic Levi's top quality denim.... but it is only 9oz. They are also running TERRIBLY smaller and I wish I ordered a longer inseam, but again as others have noted the sizing depends on where they are made, mine were made in Mexico.

Quality issues:

The red label was not stitched on correctly, or the tag is so cheaply made (feels like paper) that it tore out of the stitching within 3 days with a belt on. See picture.

I ordered size 32 x 34. I measured the new NEVER shrunk inseam because it seemed way to short, it was only 32", maybe 32.5" if I was being generous with the tape measure... it should be at least 34" minimum! I posted a picture next to my old STF 32x34s (they are black and behind the new jeans and have been shrunk) you can clearly see if I shrink the new ones I will lose about 2+ inches and have high water pants as they are only about .5 inches longer than the shrunk jeans.See second Picture.

Terrible quality control

Here is what I am frustrated about. Levi's knows how to make fantastic denim, they just aren't anymore. Levi's knows how to make consistent, uniform sized, reliable jeans with far and above the best materials, they just aren't anymore.... why? The pricing hasn't changed, so why has everything else.

In my search for quality denim at lower cost (it is not hard to spend $100+ on raw denim jeans) I found something in my local Kmart that may help some of you out. They are NOT shrink to fit but are likely the most inexpensive unwashed denim you can find. They are Rustler Indigo jeans (only the Indigo appear to be raw unwashed, I have only found them at Kmart). They are at least 13-14oz denim. There is only one cut (boot cut).

Their cut is actually fairly similar to the 501 if it had a zipper, a little too wide at the bottom though, buy the size you actually need, maybe even a little smaller, not like the Shrink To Fit sizing. They stretch out over time a little bit assuming you aren't washing them. For the price if the fit isn't right have someone tailor it, still cheaper than Levi's and you can feel the difference in the quality of denim Rustler is using.

Now for the best part.....they are only $12 and go on sale for $10!!! Also they have a 1 year warranty where they will send you a new pair if it fails. They age VERY well and show nice wear marks (again assuming you are buying what they label as "Indigo" which are unwashed and stiff raw denim). Don't wash them, treat them like shrink to fit or raw denim. Once they are nice and worn in you can do a soak, freeze them, etc... lookup how to take care of raw denim. Not nearly as cool as Levi's, I know, but Levi's is forgetting their entire history as an American icon and really loosing reputation. No I do not work for kmart or rustler, just a guy who likes jeans that don't fall apart in a month.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 6, 2017
I've been searching for pants for dudes who lift. I did as recommended and bought two sizes too big in length, normal size in waist, soaked in hot water for 20 min, and let them dry while wearing. They're about right in length now for me: a full break without a lot of stacking. Material is thicker than the cheap ass jeans I've been wearing apart for too long. They fit pretty well compared to my non STF pants. The dark denim looks unremarkable; hopefully they don't look too much like dad jeans. remains to be seen how well they wear.
on November 11, 2017
Soaked in hot water. Shrunk to fit my waist. Was still a little long, so I washed in a machine on hot and rough. Shrunk a little more in length. Only thing, the legs' circumference didn't shrink much, so it is more like a relaxed fit. I'd say the 36 34 became 34 32 and a half.
on June 23, 2017
I've five bought pairs of this style. The colors are vibrant and the fit is great for my 6' 4" 170 lb. figure. Definitely on the slim fit side. As a tall, lanky person I found these very flattering. Washed one pair in the machine by mistake, don't do that. Levi isn't joking about the wash-to-fit. Follow washing instructions!! Shrinkage aside, these are well-made jeans worth the money.
on November 8, 2017
Let me say I wear Levis 511s all day long, and have LOVED them for years. Though these would be a nice, looser fitted version of the 511 Rigid Dragon pair I have and love, but the quality of 501 SFT is absolutely terrible. And I can echo what everyone is saying about inconsistent shrinking. Really the entire concept of shrink to fit is absurd. With so many cuts from Levis and other manufacturers, why go take the risk these won't shrink correctly...just buy something that fits off the shelf.
on January 5, 2017
The jeans shrunk a whole lot more than just two sizes which we accounted for when purchasing this. We soaked in cold water and let it hang dry afterwards. It's stiff as a board and shrunk about 4 sizes in length... and the color marbled. Won't purchase a shrink to fit ever again. The risk of it coming out the wrong size is too high. I'm sure if this is done by a pro it would work which is why I still gave it two stars: it's a good quality jean but there's just too much that can go wrong with shrink to fit even when following the directions.
on November 19, 2015
This is my second pair. They're very comfortable and fit great once you get the shrink out and wear them in. I've been a little disappointed in the durability. I bought a pair about a year and a half ago and the seams at the crotch started to fray. They were just about the only jeans I'd wear, for weeks at a time between washing so maybe I just wore them out but I had expected to get a lot more use out of them before seams started fraying. It makes me wonder if some heavy duty handmade jeans in the $100+ price range would just be more durable.
on October 19, 2017
I may be somewhat biased, because this is what guys wore when I was young, but I consider these the best jeans available. They're not quite as rugged as they were 50 years ago, but they still fit great and last a long time. The button fly is way more user-friendly than zippers, if you catch my ... meaning.
on November 3, 2015
Are identical to the Original Shrink-To-Fit jeans that I have bought for the past 60+ years. The material is the heavy dark blue material that made Levis famous. After washing one time in hot water, they shrank to my perfect size. I am thrilled that the company is still making these fantastic jeans without changes.

Thank you Amazon for carrying ALL of the styles, models and sizes of this product. All other stores in Denver, CO carry other models of Levis but not these Original Shrink-To-Fit jeans and not my size.
on December 7, 2017
After 2 years, these jeans are not so dark anymore. I bought the length & width 2" longer than I need, which was perfect after a few washes!

I am disappointed (hense 4 starts) that after 2 years these jeans are wearing out around my phone. The pocket has a small hole and the exterior of the jeans is wearing in the same area. This happens with all my jeans eventually. Maybe I expect too much out of jeans, but I'll be buying these again as I enjoy the heavy weight and dark color for work.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.