Customer Reviews: Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

on April 17, 2011
I have worn Levi's 505 Jeans for 25 years. I even have a box of "34's" in the attic for when I lose a couple of pounds.

I just sent back 2 new pairs of these jeans because they no longer fit as the other pairs I own. I called Levi's to find out why.

I was told that they changed the fit several months ago, without changing the numeral designation. 505's are now only made as "Straight Fit" rather than "Regular Fit". In addition, they have lowered the "Rise" to a "below the waist" fit, rather than the old "at the waist" fit.

Sorry Levi's, you can't do that without losing long-term customers. How can you change something as basic and important as fit, but still call it the same thing?Levi's Mens 505 Straight Fit Jean
5757 comments| 1,264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2011
I've been happily buying and wearing 505 Regular Fit jeans for many, many years. I did not notice before submitting my most recent order that Regular Fit has been replaced by Straight Fit. But, boy, did I notice a change once they arrived. These aren't the same jeans at all. The fabric is less substantial and - most disheartening to me - the rise is a good inch lower than it used to be. That is, the waistband sits lower on the hips. They feel wrong to me, like I need to pull them up all the time. And they feel cheap. I can't wear them.

In my opinion, Levi's should have been more forthright about this change. This new jean should have received its own new model number and they should have retired the 505 number entirely. Because these are not, in any manner that's important to me, anyway, 505s.

Now I have to find another brand of jean whose waistband sits up at my waist where I like it. What a hassle. So very disappointing.

Levi's, you screwed up.
2525 comments| 639 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2014
Bought a pair of 505's in Sept 2014 and foud that Levi's has changed the length of the front pockets. I measured the pockets of the new 505's against an older pair. The pockets are now about an inch and a half shorter than before and the result is that it is very uncomfortable to keep my cell phone in my pocket.

Unless Levi's puts the depth back into the pockets - I will have to go to another brand.

I have been a loyal Levi's jeans buyer for over 40 years - but I guess I'll have to go shopping with a ruler next time in order to find pockets that can fit my Galaxy S5 with comfort.

With Apple coming out with the new iPhone 6 Plus - they would be smart to listen to their customers and put the original length back in the pockets.

I have added a picture of the pockets side by side (old versus new shorter ones) in the customer images section.

If these jeans had the original longer pockets, I would have given 4 or 5 stars - please see my other reviews as this is my first negative one. I am more inclined to give praise than to dwell on the negative - but in this case I think Levis is trying to save a tiny bit money on having less material in their pockets resulting in the dissatisfaction of their customers. See the reviews on the Levi's own website -
review image
33 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2011
I've been wearing Levi 505's exclusively since the early 70's. They fit me perfect. I could just walk into a store and pick up my size and buy without trying them on. Best jeans around.

Well not any more! Without any notice they have changed the "Regular fit" 505's to "Straight fit" jeans which means they are no longer 505's at all. The waist is larger, the crotch is higher and you must now wear them down on your hips as kid do with their jeans. These are no longer meant for adults or anyone who wants pants that fit properly. I also don't like 550 relaxed jeans as they are too baggy.

I'll be looking for a different brand and returning the two pair I just bought. Hopefully Levi will lose enough faithful customers to make them rethink this rude abandonment of loyal customers.
1616 comments| 574 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
According to this reviews and personal experience...
After buying the Classic Levis 505 for the last 45 years, I'm dropping Levis for something else...
Carhartt perhaps...??
What a lousy Way to loose all your customer by greedy practices and ineptitude ...
Dear Levis "child slave labor" & ambassadors of misery; you're not my brand any longer now !!!!
Congratulations on the effects of your stupid & greedy changes, I hope you choke on it...
review image
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2011
I have purchased Levi's 505 Regular Fit for 35 years. Much to my dismay, the most recent purchase I made turned out to be the newly improved Straight Fit. I couldn't figure out why they kept falling down. When I called Levi's said they would replace the pair I bought with a pair a waist size smaller. They seem to think if my pants are tighter it will keep them from falling off. Since I work in these jeans, moving around constantly, I like some ease of movement within the garment.

The redesign from Regular Fit to Straight Fit consists of shortening the rise from the top of the inseam to the waistband. I think it might be shortened as much as 2 or 2.5 inches. This makes it so the pants no longer sit at the waist, slightly above the hip bone which used to keep them from falling off.

I am very disappointed in the new pants.

My rating is really 0 stars.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2010
I've been wearing Levi's 505 jeans for more years than I care to admit. About a year ago I needed more new jeans so I ordered a couple pairs. They didn't fit quite exactly the way I expected them to, but they were okay. Last month there was this great sale on Levi's jeans (on, so I bought a couple more pairs. These new pairs really didn't fit - they were the correct length and waist size, but they were too long and didnt feel right. I wear 36/30. I've been wearing Levi's 505's in size 36/30 for years and years. So when I ordered a couple 36/30, and they didn't fit, I was pretty surprised.

I called Levi's and asked about it. They said that they might shrink in the wash and that they would take them back for a full refund even if they had been washed. So I washed them. Several times. Though they did get shorter, they were still not short enough. And they didn't quite fit right in the crotch. So I held them up to my old jeans - they matched perfectly. I couldn't find any difference at all, and yet they didn't fit. Well, I can't leave a mystery like that alone. So I laid them down on the bed, got out a tape measure, and I measured. I measured everything I could find, but nothing was significantly different from new to old. Then I flipped them over. Ah Ha! I found that the new jeans were a full inch shorter in what is called the "back center seam" than the jeans I had bought just a year ago. This was the case on both pairs I had just purchased, even though the two new pairs were different colors and cloth weights. I then dug out a pair of 505's from several years ago and found that the "back center seam" on that pair was 2 inches longer than the new pairs and 1 inch longer than the pairs I'd gotten a year ago. That explains why the ones I had bought a year ago weren't quite right, but were okay, while the newest pairs, being of full 2 inches shorter in the back crotch really didn't fit right at all. As for leg lenth, since the inseam is supposed to be the length from the floor to the crotch, a shorter back center seam shouldnt have any effect, however, I can only guess that the short crotch was causing me to wear the jeans lower than I prefer, which somehow changed the effective the leg length. Because I wanted the legs shorter, I had to pull the pants up until they were binding in the crotch (does this make sense - not sure?) In any case, they didnt feel right in the crotch and they were too long.

This is disappointing for a number of reasons. First of all having jeans that I could simply purchase sight unseen, pair after pair after pair, is incredibly convenient. But it's also disappointing because psychologically I think of Levi's is something unchanging. Levi's are Levi's. Coca-Cola, aside from their momentary lapse of reason with new Coke, is Coca-Cola. Etc. I dont want Levi's 505's to change. But strangely, the biggest problem for me with this change is related to the fact that Levi's numbers their jeans styles. If they are going to change the measurements and design of the 505, they should call it the 506. Or the 505b. Or the 505 v2. Or something. If they were always called simply the "regular straight fit jean," it wouldn't be as big a deal to change it as it is when the product is called "505." To me, psychologically, 505's are 505's are 505's - if they're going to change them, they need to start calling them 506's.

So I'm sending my Levi's 505's back. I have no idea what I will buy in their place.
55 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2011
Warning! Be advised that the new 505 Straight Fit jeans have replaced the original 505 Regular Fit jeans. They are not the same. Try these on in a store before ordering online or you will be disappointed. Apparently, somebody at Levi's had the bright idea of changing a tried and true style rather than creating a new one; a classic example of "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2011
I am a Levi's 505 customer of 25+ years and like an earlier reviewer, I was always gratified to be able to buy these jeans either online or in a store, sight unseen, confident that the color and fit would always remain the same. But these have apparently been recently redesigned in some subtle ways.

I just bought my first pair in at least two or three years. First, they are now marked as "Straight Fit" (notice the tag inside the waist on the back) and not "Regular Fit" as they always used to be. You'll also notice that while the inseam is completely comparable, the color is a little duller - and the new Straight Fit now sits AT LEAST AN INCH LOWER ON THE WAIST than the old Regular Fit. I tried on a couple of pairs and found this to be consistently the case. (I also tried on 501 Straight Fit for comparison, and noticed the same thing.)

I suppose that Levi's is trying to increase its appeal to the adolescent demographic (which obviously prefers the lower rise, for reasons that escape me). Well, I'm 40 and I don't wish to dress like a teenager. So this is a very undesirable development. Thankfully I'm physically fit and could still wear the Straight Fit, even with its slightly lower rise - but I don't like where this is heading. Caveat emptor.

Customer Note: The original Regular Fit style is still available in stores, mixed in with the Straight Fits (I was fortunate to find three such pairs at my local Sears last night, and bought them all), so this is apparently a fairly recent development.

It's easy to tell the two apart: In addition to checking the inside back label (Regular Fit, vs. Straight Fit), you can check the manufacturer tags and plastic sizing stickers on each pair, which will also say either "Regular Fit" or "Straight Fit". So if you're partial to the old Regular Fit, your best bet now appears to be to actually go to a store and find them on the shelf while they are still available.
66 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2011
The following is an exchange I had with Levi Strauss recently ....

You removed about 3/4" of material from
between the top of the waist and the crouch on the men's 505 "Regular Fit"
jeans and you double labeled and re-labeled them "straight fit"..(you have
both labels on them!!! - very misleading!!!)... and now they ride much lower
on my waist and I can't keep them up... or when I pull them up they choke my
crouch!!! I've purchased Levi Brand for over 50 years and I never try them on
and due to past consistancy, I have them hemmed 1" because I'm an in-between
size (I buy 38-32)... so now I'm stuck with two-pair of Jeans I can't return
(To Sears) and won't be able to wear! Also, I've looked for some of the "old
regular's" but can't find them on the shelf any more. I also checked on the
Internet and a lot of people are complaining about this same problem. The
difference in the height of the waistband is clearly visable when you lay an
old pair beside a new pair; in the amount of material under the belt loops...
and is obvious where the bottom of the belt loops are now attached. And while
I'm at it, the bottom of two belt loops (the ones on either side of the rear
middle loop) pulled loose on the last four pair that I purchased (I now have
them pinned). Would you like photos? Folks, your quality and design is in
real trouble! What are you going to do for me??? Or should I just start
trying on other brands?

Hi Richard,
Barbara here from Levi's®. Thanks for checking in with us.
The 505® style has been updated recently so that the waist and hips are straighter and the rise is slightly shorter. Now the fit is designed to sit lower on the hip. This means you will probably need to order a smaller waist size to get the same fit you have had in the past. If you choose to return your 505® jeans to our Consumer Returns Department, the inspector will exchange your jeans for the next waist size smaller. Levi Strauss & Co. updates many of our products from time to time to keep the line fresh and fashionable, based on demand from consumers and our retail partners.
If there's anything else we can help you with, be sure to email us back or give us a call at 1-800-USA-LEVI Monday - Friday from 6:00am - 4:30pm Pacific Time.
Thanks again, Barbara, Levi Strauss & Co., Consumer Relations, Case ID: 3747730

Hi Barbara, ... thanks for the personal response. I have a high waist line, so a smaller waist size won't answer my problem. Are you sure you can't get me some of the "regular fit" jeans??? I can't imagine that Levi Strauss changed these Jeans because "customers" or "retailers" were asking for a lower waist line! I believe it was a "cost cutting measure". Now people are walking around "holding up" their jeans with one hand and others are walking around with what is called "muffin tops" .... Is this what what you call fashionable? I believe Levi Strauss need to do a "try both pairs on survey" and see what the results are. It's okay to introduce a new line, but why not "also" keep the "old reliable line" (and charge the customers a few bucks more if necessary). I disagree with replacing a "proven" product when it hasn't lost it's popularity yet! As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"! I believe Levi Strauss has made a serious mistake here, especially with how fast news spreads on the Internet. I guess I'll just have to take look at other brands. Richard Kramer (a very unhappy customer now)

Hello again Richard,
Unfortunately, we cannot offer any products we no longer manufacture therefore we do not have access in sending "regular fit " men's 505 jeans to you.
We are sorry to hear about your experience. We take great pride in our company, our products and the loyalty of our consumers. We take your feedback very seriously and assure you that your comments will be passed along to the appropriate management. Esmeralda, Levi Strauss & Co,Consumer Relations,Case ID: 3747730
1515 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse