Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 7, 2011
I've been happily buying and wearing 505 Regular Fit jeans for many, many years. I did not notice before submitting my most recent order that Regular Fit has been replaced by Straight Fit. But, boy, did I notice a change once they arrived. These aren't the same jeans at all. The fabric is less substantial and - most disheartening to me - the rise is a good inch lower than it used to be. That is, the waistband sits lower on the hips. They feel wrong to me, like I need to pull them up all the time. And they feel cheap. I can't wear them.

In my opinion, Levi's should have been more forthright about this change. This new jean should have received its own new model number and they should have retired the 505 number entirely. Because these are not, in any manner that's important to me, anyway, 505s.

Now I have to find another brand of jean whose waistband sits up at my waist where I like it. What a hassle. So very disappointing.

Levi's, you screwed up.
2525 comments| 664 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 17, 2011
I have worn Levi's 505 Jeans for 25 years. I even have a box of "34's" in the attic for when I lose a couple of pounds.

I just sent back 2 new pairs of these jeans because they no longer fit as the other pairs I own. I called Levi's to find out why.

I was told that they changed the fit several months ago, without changing the numeral designation. 505's are now only made as "Straight Fit" rather than "Regular Fit". In addition, they have lowered the "Rise" to a "below the waist" fit, rather than the old "at the waist" fit.

Sorry Levi's, you can't do that without losing long-term customers. How can you change something as basic and important as fit, but still call it the same thing?Levi's Mens 505 Straight Fit Jean
5150+ comments| 1,332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 11, 2011
The following is an exchange I had with Levi Strauss recently ....

You removed about 3/4" of material from
between the top of the waist and the crouch on the men's 505 "Regular Fit"
jeans and you double labeled and re-labeled them "straight fit"..(you have
both labels on them!!! - very misleading!!!)... and now they ride much lower
on my waist and I can't keep them up... or when I pull them up they choke my
crouch!!! I've purchased Levi Brand for over 50 years and I never try them on
and due to past consistancy, I have them hemmed 1" because I'm an in-between
size (I buy 38-32)... so now I'm stuck with two-pair of Jeans I can't return
(To Sears) and won't be able to wear! Also, I've looked for some of the "old
regular's" but can't find them on the shelf any more. I also checked on the
Internet and a lot of people are complaining about this same problem. The
difference in the height of the waistband is clearly visable when you lay an
old pair beside a new pair; in the amount of material under the belt loops...
and is obvious where the bottom of the belt loops are now attached. And while
I'm at it, the bottom of two belt loops (the ones on either side of the rear
middle loop) pulled loose on the last four pair that I purchased (I now have
them pinned). Would you like photos? Folks, your quality and design is in
real trouble! What are you going to do for me??? Or should I just start
trying on other brands?

Hi Richard,
Barbara here from Levi's®. Thanks for checking in with us.
The 505® style has been updated recently so that the waist and hips are straighter and the rise is slightly shorter. Now the fit is designed to sit lower on the hip. This means you will probably need to order a smaller waist size to get the same fit you have had in the past. If you choose to return your 505® jeans to our Consumer Returns Department, the inspector will exchange your jeans for the next waist size smaller. Levi Strauss & Co. updates many of our products from time to time to keep the line fresh and fashionable, based on demand from consumers and our retail partners.
If there's anything else we can help you with, be sure to email us back or give us a call at 1-800-USA-LEVI Monday - Friday from 6:00am - 4:30pm Pacific Time.
Thanks again, Barbara, Levi Strauss & Co., Consumer Relations, Case ID: 3747730

Hi Barbara, ... thanks for the personal response. I have a high waist line, so a smaller waist size won't answer my problem. Are you sure you can't get me some of the "regular fit" jeans??? I can't imagine that Levi Strauss changed these Jeans because "customers" or "retailers" were asking for a lower waist line! I believe it was a "cost cutting measure". Now people are walking around "holding up" their jeans with one hand and others are walking around with what is called "muffin tops" .... Is this what what you call fashionable? I believe Levi Strauss need to do a "try both pairs on survey" and see what the results are. It's okay to introduce a new line, but why not "also" keep the "old reliable line" (and charge the customers a few bucks more if necessary). I disagree with replacing a "proven" product when it hasn't lost it's popularity yet! As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"! I believe Levi Strauss has made a serious mistake here, especially with how fast news spreads on the Internet. I guess I'll just have to take look at other brands. Richard Kramer (a very unhappy customer now)

Hello again Richard,
Unfortunately, we cannot offer any products we no longer manufacture therefore we do not have access in sending "regular fit " men's 505 jeans to you.
We are sorry to hear about your experience. We take great pride in our company, our products and the loyalty of our consumers. We take your feedback very seriously and assure you that your comments will be passed along to the appropriate management. Esmeralda, Levi Strauss & Co,Consumer Relations,Case ID: 3747730
1515 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 24, 2011
I've been wearing Levi 505's exclusively since the early 70's. They fit me perfect. I could just walk into a store and pick up my size and buy without trying them on. Best jeans around.

Well not any more! Without any notice they have changed the "Regular fit" 505's to "Straight fit" jeans which means they are no longer 505's at all. The waist is larger, the crotch is higher and you must now wear them down on your hips as kid do with their jeans. These are no longer meant for adults or anyone who wants pants that fit properly. I also don't like 550 relaxed jeans as they are too baggy.

I'll be looking for a different brand and returning the two pair I just bought. Hopefully Levi will lose enough faithful customers to make them rethink this rude abandonment of loyal customers.
1616 comments| 588 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 23, 2014
Bought a pair of 505's in Sept 2014 and foud that Levi's has changed the length of the front pockets. I measured the pockets of the new 505's against an older pair. The pockets are now about an inch and a half shorter than before and the result is that it is very uncomfortable to keep my cell phone in my pocket.

Unless Levi's puts the depth back into the pockets - I will have to go to another brand.

I have been a loyal Levi's jeans buyer for over 40 years - but I guess I'll have to go shopping with a ruler next time in order to find pockets that can fit my Galaxy S5 with comfort.

With Apple coming out with the new iPhone 6 Plus - they would be smart to listen to their customers and put the original length back in the pockets.

I have added a picture of the pockets side by side (old versus new shorter ones) in the customer images section.

If these jeans had the original longer pockets, I would have given 4 or 5 stars - please see my other reviews as this is my first negative one. I am more inclined to give praise than to dwell on the negative - but in this case I think Levis is trying to save a tiny bit money on having less material in their pockets resulting in the dissatisfaction of their customers. See the reviews on the Levi's own website - http://reviews.us.levi.com/1341/3696695/reviews.htm
review image
55 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2015
Levi has changed the 505...

Front pocket are much shorter
Thighs are much tighter
Material is lighter/thinner

I have bought these jeans for years and still have several pair of the older one. I bought 2 to rotate in with what I have. Same size waist/length. The olders one are actually little loose...the new one are skin tight to my thighs.
on November 21, 2011
Levi's has replaced their 505 regular fit jeans with this abomination, which is a completely different product. The straight fit jeans are not cut the same as the old regular fit jeans and you cannot trust the size. Worse, they only have five belt loops instead of seven, so they do not stay up. The fabric used is also inferior to the original 505 regular fit jeans. Before ordering, be sure to have a look at these things in a store to see if this is really what you want to purchase. Levi's had better figure out a way to sell these to the teeny boppers because their customer base sure isn't going to buy them.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 26, 2011
In the last year or so these jeans were changed from regular fit to straight fit. This new fit appears to be intended for someone with no butt. The rise in back is lower as well. I've been wearing 505's for decades, but when I tried these new jeans on they were instantly uncomfortable. I have returned them for a refund.
11 comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 19, 2011
Levi changed their size specs on the traditional 505. The "straight" 505s have a shortener rise, and are smaller in the hip and leg. The old style fit my husband perfectly - a no brainer when it came to shopping. The new "straight" cut is awful. If Levi wanted to introduce another fit, then why not give it a different number and keep the sizing the same on the tried and true 505. You've lost a customer with this change.
11 comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2016
As previous reviews state the fit is nowhere close to earlier Levi's 505s. Too long in legs, too short in rise, pockets too shallow for anything.
Additionally the quality of the material is significantly sub par! I don't know what the weight of the now fabric is but it will never stand up to years of service as previous Levi's. Perhaps planned obsolescence is their business strategy now. A belt loop (one of the reduced number vs earlier style) ripped off the third time I wore them.
Poor fit poor, poor workmanship, poor quality fabric, I'm assuming poor upper management business decisions have relegated a loyal customer to look elsewhere for quality jeans. Shame on an American icon.
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.