Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 23, 2014
Bought a pair of 505's in Sept 2014 and foud that Levi's has changed the length of the front pockets. I measured the pockets of the new 505's against an older pair. The pockets are now about an inch and a half shorter than before and the result is that it is very uncomfortable to keep my cell phone in my pocket.

Unless Levi's puts the depth back into the pockets - I will have to go to another brand.

I have been a loyal Levi's jeans buyer for over 40 years - but I guess I'll have to go shopping with a ruler next time in order to find pockets that can fit my Galaxy S5 with comfort.

With Apple coming out with the new iPhone 6 Plus - they would be smart to listen to their customers and put the original length back in the pockets.

I have added a picture of the pockets side by side (old versus new shorter ones) in the customer images section.

If these jeans had the original longer pockets, I would have given 4 or 5 stars - please see my other reviews as this is my first negative one. I am more inclined to give praise than to dwell on the negative - but in this case I think Levis is trying to save a tiny bit money on having less material in their pockets resulting in the dissatisfaction of their customers. See the reviews on the Levi's own website - http://reviews.us.levi.com/1341/3696695/reviews.htm
review image
55 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 19, 2015
According to this reviews and personal experience...
After buying the Classic Levis 505 for the last 45 years, I'm dropping Levis for something else...
Carhartt perhaps...??
What a lousy Way to loose all your customer by greedy practices and ineptitude ...
Dear Levis "child slave labor" & ambassadors of misery; you're not my brand any longer now !!!!
Congratulations on the effects of your stupid & greedy changes, I hope you choke on it...
review image
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 23, 2015
Ordered from Zappos, an Amazon company. For years we have bought the same size and color (" Rinse") of 505 jeans. They almost always fit correctly after the first wash and some shrinkage. This color is dark enough to look almost "formal" at first. Then they get worn almost every day, become faded and eventually develop wear holes. Ironically, they then look exactly like the kind of artificially worn-out jeans that some people pay extra for!.

Anyway, at that point they get retired to housework and other dirty chores, and new jeans replae them. We've done this several times, just bought this same color and same size, and started over. One year, we noticed a difference in the fit between factories -- Mexico fit differently from Lesotho -- but we were able to get the same comfortable fit by returning one place and ordering elsewhere.

The current pair are worn out, must be a couple years old, so we ordered the replacements as usual. Like many people have complained before, we find the front pockets to be too shallow. It is hard to understand why they would make front pockets an inch or more shallower, just when people are putting bigger and bigger things in those pockets. Also one gets the feeling that keys or pocket change or other stuff will fall out if one happens to relax too far in the couch or whatever.

Unlike other people, we found the fit to be nearly perfect, the fabric seems sturdy, the color is correct, and there are the same seven belt loops as always. It is thus very frustrating, that the jeans are exactly what we wanted -- except for the front pockets. What a weird and stupid surprise.

We will almost surely send them back, and we are already shopping for alternatives. Unfortunately, so far we are finding compromises of one kind or another in nearly every brand. Fabric is thinner, or back pockets are too small, or the fit is not as good...

We have not ruled out the idea of simply making some alterations on those stupid pockets, so they are as deep as before, as this is a lot easier than any other alterations one could make on a pair of jeans. But obviously one is then nervous whether the alterations will hold up.

Levis, what on earth were you thinking? We would have paid 50 cents more -- which is probably more than you saved by reducing the pocket fabric. I notice that many recent reviews are from people who seem happy with the current product, but I assume they've never seen the "real" 505 jeans of just 2-3 years ago and more. These would have been 5 stars if they had left the pockets at a useable depth. But they didn't...
on December 18, 2015
Levi's 505 Regular fit has changed and the fit and sizing is off by an inch and mislabeled. They cut an inch out of the rise from seem above pocket to top of belt loop so they ride low and keep falling down. They are contoured differently. Obviously they are not made in America and quality control and tradition do not mean anything to greedy manufactures who are pissing on their loyal customers and even their own name. I will not but them any longer and I love my old ones because they fit correctly but the new pair I bought here are no dam good. Shame on you for screwing up a classic. Shame on Levi's a brand that you can no longer rely on.

PS. Do not ask if they are too small or to big as the fit is too big and too small in places and add a box for 'Does NOT fit as expected.
on December 1, 2015
Having wasted lots of time trying to penetrate the modern "marketing" values, I finally had to try and GUESS which of the fancy "blue jean" colors is actually an actual BLUE JEAN color; I finally tried "dark stonewash," and it's what I dreaded - an attempt to provide a slightly "worn-looking" version of an actual blue jean color - like I need the store's help to give me a phony "genuine look." So I had to return them. I've just wasted a lot more time trying to figure out what I missed the first time, and - can you BELIEVE it? - there is NO LONGER ANY WAY to order Levis as the blue-jeans they used to be. I have not been able to find an answer to this question. I am trying to think of a dumber marketing oversight, no luck so far. If you want great blue-jeans, Patagonia sells them - a lot more money, but well worth it: no marketing nonsense.
on April 17, 2011
I have worn Levi's 505 Jeans for 25 years. I even have a box of "34's" in the attic for when I lose a couple of pounds.

I just sent back 2 new pairs of these jeans because they no longer fit as the other pairs I own. I called Levi's to find out why.

I was told that they changed the fit several months ago, without changing the numeral designation. 505's are now only made as "Straight Fit" rather than "Regular Fit". In addition, they have lowered the "Rise" to a "below the waist" fit, rather than the old "at the waist" fit.

Sorry Levi's, you can't do that without losing long-term customers. How can you change something as basic and important as fit, but still call it the same thing?Levi's Mens 505 Straight Fit Jean
5150+ comments| 1,329 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 24, 2013
I haven't tried Levi's in years, but the brand I've been wearing no longer fits because they have gone the skinny jeans route. I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs with a 32 inch waist and 30 inch inseam. I have relatively muscular thighs so I can't wear skinny jeans. It's also difficult to find pants that fit properly in the crotch--most have a rise that's too long since I wear my jeans beneath my belly button. I know some consider that too low as the "natural waist" is around the belly button.

These 505s fit perfectly. Comfortable in the waist, correct length inseam, no sagging in the crotch, and not too tight, not too loose in the thigh. I tried 559s as well. They're good, but but a little on the loose side.

If you're shorter than average and you wear your jeans beneath your belly button, you'll probably like the rise length on these. And for those with a little meat on their thighs, they don't fit like skinny jeans.
on May 12, 2016
I've bought them 3 months ago and was happy with them, I liked the color and material seemed to be durable. Today I've noticed a small hole in front between legs ... first time I wore out a pair of jeans that fast.
on June 26, 2014
The last pair of 505 jeans I bought from Amazon not too long ago - maybe 9 months. They are the medium stone-washed type so they are quite blue.

The material is already worn through on the front pockets where I keep my cell phone and swiss army knife, so I have two whitish areas on the front with holes in them. I have never seen this happen before; you might think it was because of the particular phone, but I've been carrying around this same swiss army knife for over 30 years and have never seen this happen. The pair of jeans these replaced were also 505s, the light colored type (also from Amazon), and I had those a long time after I should have replaced them, so I've worn those for years. You don't really see whitish areas when the fabric wears out on these, but I studied them carefully and saw no holes where I hold the knife and phone. Fabric was worn, but not that bad. On these new jeans, I already have a 1" by 1/4" threadbare patch on the left side where I keep my phone. On the other side there's a 3/8 x 1/8 threadbare patch.

I should also say that when I first purchased these, they were sized wrong and I had to send them back to get a correctly marked pair.

I'm not going to buy jeans from Amazon. There's something wrong with the quality - are they getting seconds of some kind?
on June 7, 2011
I've been happily buying and wearing 505 Regular Fit jeans for many, many years. I did not notice before submitting my most recent order that Regular Fit has been replaced by Straight Fit. But, boy, did I notice a change once they arrived. These aren't the same jeans at all. The fabric is less substantial and - most disheartening to me - the rise is a good inch lower than it used to be. That is, the waistband sits lower on the hips. They feel wrong to me, like I need to pull them up all the time. And they feel cheap. I can't wear them.

In my opinion, Levi's should have been more forthright about this change. This new jean should have received its own new model number and they should have retired the 505 number entirely. Because these are not, in any manner that's important to me, anyway, 505s.

Now I have to find another brand of jean whose waistband sits up at my waist where I like it. What a hassle. So very disappointing.

Levi's, you screwed up.
2525 comments| 663 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.