Customer Reviews: Levi's Men's 527 Slim Bootcut Jean
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on March 10, 2014
I'm relatively short at 5'8" but I wear a size 11.5 in shoes. Anything other than boot cut tends to make me look like I a clown with jeans on. Needless to say, trying to find jeans has always been a frustrating affair. When I do find a good pair of jeans, I usually stick with them for a few years. Recognizing my jeans were becoming a bit dated a couple years ago, I went looking for new jeans and stumbled upon the 527's. I was so happy I did. No pair of jeans had ever fit as well on me as the 527's. Back then, they were known as the "low rise boot cut" jean. They sat a tad below the waist, had enough room in the thigh for a normal male and fit comfortably over the tongues of my clown shoes.
Thinking that Levi's sequenced their jeans so that the cut would always be the same for the life of their run, about a year ago I purchased a darker pair of 527s online without ever having tried them on. This pair felt really snug in the thigh and the waist though. I thought perhaps I needed to break them it a bit, but months later, they were still the same. In the end, I just chalked it up to a manufacturer defect and thought no more of it.
Last month I repurchased another pair of the 527's on Amazon (which this review pertains to). So excited, I closed my office door and tried them on as soon as they arrived. However, when I pulled them up, my boxers bunched up in ways I only fear of in my dreams. When I was finally able to button them up, I felt like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz trying to walk around in my office. It was as if someone had painted these jeans onto my legs. Thinking it maybe was all in my mind, I tried them on for my fiancée back home. She literally laughed in my face. I finally got to see what I looked like in the mirror and I laughed out loud as well. If you have ever seen the episode from “It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia” where Frank buys a pair of skinny jeans, that is what I looked like. Completely baffled, I placed the new 527s on top of my old 527s and at that point I finally realized the cut was completely different. It was slimmer not only in the waist and the thigh, but also at the bottom of the jean. I looked at the labels and finally saw that the name changed too: "low rise" boot cut v. "slim" boot cut. I googled the jeans to see if Levis ever made an announcement of the change. Nothing online other than disgruntled former customers who, like me, realized the switch after purchasing these newer jeans. Needless to say, I returned these to Amazon completely unhappy (not with the seller, with Levis). Once again, I find myself on a never-ending quest to find jeans that fit both my shape and my style since Levis no longer does.
2424 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2015
I don't live in the US but my wife travelled to florida this month, so I ordered the same model and size of this Levi's as the one I ordered Last Year and she will bring them home. To my surprise when she got home I try them on and the Jeans are too tight on the legs....I was cheking all the tags and I realize that the jeans where manufactured in other country, If the jeans are made in a different countries this will affect the size??? What can I do as all the jeans I bought does't fit me???? I don't Live in the US and its not easy to returned them...
review image review image review image
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2011
We bought these in the "medium chipped" color. My husband loves the Levi's 527 style and we have purchased many of these jeans from the store. The ones that we bought here online were a very thin material as compared to all the others we have purchased before. We did not return them since my husband says he will wear them during the summer, but they would never hold up to be work jeans as intended.
77 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2010
I'd been looking for a decent pair of non-baggy jeans for some time when I stumbled across these. I love these jeans! I spent 8 months losing 60 pounds, and I didn't do it to wear 'relaxed fit', 'loose fit', or 'comfy fit' jeans.
44 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2012
I ordered 2 pairs of these Levi's 527 jeans for my husband, one in the overhaul rinse and the other in indie blue. While we were thrilled with the colours and weight of the jeans when we took them out of the package, once he put them on - well, what a joke! We ordered 36x36 in each jean, which he wears in other Levi's 527 jeans that he owns. But with these ones, he can barely get the zipper and button done up, and the pants do not go past his ankles. I have measured the waist and inseam of both pairs, and neither measures more than 34" in the waist, and for the inseams, one actually measures 33" and the other 34".

These would have been a great deal if their fit was true to size - for genuine Levi's jeans! I live in Canada, and these jeans easily cost $85/pair, so I jumped at buying my husband 2 pairs of these jeans off for the price of 1 pair in Canada. However, now that I have paid $10.40 in taxes and $3.00 in broker fee that I will be losing plus the $20+ dollars to ship these back to from Canada, these are definetly not a good deal as I will actually be out about $45 on a purchase that was delivered in the US for $79.98. This is unfortunate, as it really truly is difficult to buy 36" inseam jeans, and my husband has had great luck before with the Levi's 527 jeans - when bought from an actual Levi's store in Canada that is...

Moral of the story is: I should have trusted the other reviews that I read online through saying that the sizes were off. I mean, I could live with the waist sizing being off a little, but when an inseam is advertised as 36" but actually measures no longer than 33" or 34", that is just unacceptable - and that is pre-wash measurements! I can only imagine if they shrunk AT ALL, given that they are after all 100% cotton.

I don't know if the manufacturing of these jeans has changed, as one pair indicates made in Bangladesh, and the other in Mexico. My husband's previous pairs of 527s were made in Mexico. All in all though, we are very disappointed.
on May 26, 2013
Been wearing levis for years and years.This is my last pair.Absolute crap. Not like they were when they were made in USA or Canada. These jeans last months instead of years like they used to. That's what happens when you have jeans made by kids in foreign sweat shops
on August 29, 2011
Upon receiving the package, everything looks great..the material and stitching seems very similar to the standards of other Levi products as well as past Levi jeans I have personally worn for years. However, the jean material does seem a bit lighter, meaning it feels thinner and lighter weight than previous 527 jeans I have worn. In conjunction to this notion, I have also found the the fit to be a bit tighter around the waist, though the length of the leg seems to measure out fairly. Interestingly, I have found other reviews to also have similar issues.
on September 19, 2011
Good if you like that sort of thing but some people may not be too keen on it. These are my new favorite jeans.
55 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2015
All of the 527 jeans sold on this page are not the same! Some washes are 100% cotton and some are so-called STRETCH 527's. Some are quite heavy and thick and some are very thin. After ordering 7 pairs in 6 washes this is what I've found:

'Tumbled Rigid' and 'Overhaul' are 100% cotton and are heavyweight denim. On both pairs I ordered a 32" inseam and they were longer than that, fitting like a 34" inseam. The Levi's website indicates that 'Indigo Black' is also 100% cotton and heavyweight denim.

'Highway,' 'And' (or 'Andi'), and 'Medium Chipped' are 100% cotton and midweight denim. The inseam seemed to actually be the 32" that I ordered. The denim is quite thin even though it is called midweight on the Levi's website. They are nice washes but are easy to cut, snag, and tear. I semi-ruined a pair the first time I wore them.

'Covered Up' is NOT 100% cotton -- it has quite a lot of polyester / elastane in it and actually says "STRETCH 527 slim bootcut" on the sticker. I am sending it back. According to the Levi's website some of these other washes are also stretch denim, such as 'Wave Allusions'.

Also, these are made all over the globe. Some say Vietnam, some say Egypt, some say Cambodia. I ordered two pairs of 'Highway' several weeks apart, and the first was made in Egypt while the second was made in Vietnam. So much for consistency!
on June 28, 2016
It seemed when I first started wearing 527's almost 15 years ago, it was a great jean - I could count on consistent sizing and they generally used quality fabric. Things have definitely changed over the years, as it seems they consistently use a VERY thin, cheap material for all their jeans, and the sizing is pretty random.

After ordering a few different styles last year, I sent back the thin fabric jeans, but kept the thicker ones (the overhaul style) as they fit better and used a higher quality fabric. When I ordered the exact same jeans this year, the ones that arrived were not the same fit/fabric, but rather the same cheap, thin fabric as the different styles I sent back last year.

Sadly, I can only offer two things: 1)For the price, you can surely find a better jean out there, 527's simply aren't worth it anymore. 2)If you decide to order ANY 527 styles, be prepared for a cheaply constructed jean that will potentially be a smaller than expected fit, unless you get lucky and randomly pick a style that uses better material that season.

As for me, after over 20 years of predominantly choosing Levi jeans, regrettably I will no longer be a Levi's customer. No one should have to cross their fingers and hope that they receive a quality product, and after 3 years of experiencing inconsistent material and sizing, I'm done with the 527 line and Levi's as a whole.