Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 25, 2014
Okay, I know these are "Slim" jeans and I know everyone says one must be, well, slim in order to wear them. Right? And to some degree this makes sense: Slim guy, slim cut jeans. Larger guy, larger cut jeans. Well my husband is in his late 60s and things have sort of "shifted" around over the years. Specifically, everything from his butt and thighs has been redistributed to his abdomen. He is usually very, very hard to fit because most pants that fit around the waist are huge, baggy and sloppy looking everywhere else. Enter the 513; absolutely the best fitting pants I've ever seen him wear. They fit perfectly. Everywhere.

So what's the deal? Why do these jeans fit so well and look so good? I really had to think about it and it took me many tries before I caught on. Since my husband refused to go to the store to buy some jeans, I was left to my own devices and I learned a lot about men's jeans (and Levi's in particular) in the process.

I'm oversimplifying a bit (I'm not including rise) but there are generally two things that describe the way a pair of jeans will fit a man, aside from the waist size and the inseam. First, there's the "cut." This is how the pants fit in the rear and thighs. Levi's has eight general cuts, going from "tightest" in the rear and thigh to "loosest" in the rear and thigh: Skinny, Slim, Athletic, Original, Regular, Relaxed, Comfort, and Loose. Second, there's the look and style of the leg. Levi's has four leg cuts: Skinny, Taper, Straight and Boot.

So, add this all up and there are four variables:

1. Waist size;
2. Inseam (or length);
3. Cut; and
4. Leg style.

For the most part Levi's simply mixes and matches the cut and leg style. So there is the 504 "Regular Straight" and the 508 "Regular Taper." Or there is the 559 "Relaxed Straight" and the 513 "Slim Straight," etc. Generally the "cut" is listed first followed by the "leg." ALL of the Levi's styles come in virtually any waist size and in virtually any length so as long as you get the right waist size, it will fit around the middle regardless of the cut (or the leg).

So for an "average" proportioned guy, the 513 "Slim Straight" will run slim or close fitting in the thigh and seat. For my husband however, they fit like a "normal" pant would since he's so much smaller than average in the seat and thighs. Make sense? All of this assumes you get your correct, actual waist size so guys, don't skimp there even though it's tempting.

Example: If I were trying to fit a short guy (say 30"L) with a small waist (say a 32"W), but with large thighs and a big rear end, I would probably start with something like the 550 "Relaxed Taper" or the 559 "Relaxed Straight" because the "Relaxed" cut will look "normal" on him (because he is larger than average in the seat and thighs). If the 550 and 559 are too tight in the seat and thighs, I'd move onto the next largest cut.

I hope this helps those of you who are not of "average" proportion and are struggling to find a pair of normal fitting jeans. My husband never looked better and for the first time in FOREVER he actually likes his jeans.

Once we discovered how well the 513s fit my husband, I was left with the task of finding the right wash. I was very surprised to discover that there are differences both in the materials that make up the denim and the weight of the denim itself. Some of the 513s are 100% cotton while others are cotton and 1% to 2% elastane (Spandex). Still others are a blend of polyester and cotton. Finally, the weight of the denim varies. Some 513s are "midweight" and others are "heavyweight."

Based on my research here on Amazon and other websites (including Levi Strauss), I've compiled the following list of colors/washes, their materials, and the weight of the denim where possible.

1. Quincy: 100% cotton.
2. Lexicon: 78% Cotton, 16% Polyester, 6% Elastane. Stretch heavyweight denim (12 oz.) treated with a garment rinse.
3. Bastion: 98.6% Cotton, 1.4% Elastane.
4. Cash: 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane. Stretch heavyweight denim (12 oz.) treated with a garment rinse.
5. Bellingham: 99% cotton, 1% elastane.
6. Levine: 100% cotton.
7. The remaining washes/colors are all 98% cotton, 2% elastane according to another well known online retailer of Levi's (starts with a Z).

I can personally tell you that the weights of the denim vary from medium (10 oz. to 11 oz.) to heavy (12 oz) but it appears as though Levi Strauss is no longer manufacturing many of the washes available here on Amazon and the information is no longer available on Levi's website.

My husband ended up with three pairs of jeans: "Bastion" (a relatively dark rinse), "Sequoia" (a dark rinse with some minor distressing/lightening in areas), and "Quincy" (what I would call a medium blue shade). He originally balked at the idea of elastane/Spandex in his jeans and I assumed he would prefer the Quincy (the only one of the three that is 100% cotton). As it turns out, he doesn't wear the Quincy at all and prefers the Bastion and Sequoia. The addition of the bit of Spandex does a number of things: the jeans are much more comfortable because the Spandex helps them to move with you; the overall fit is better because the Spandex helps customize the size; and the jeans do not stretch out as much as 100% cotton, therefore retaining their shape and looking "fresh" for a longer period of time. You cannot tell by looking at the jeans that they contain Spandex.

Again, I hope the information I've provided helps all of you, especially those with less than ideal proportions.
5150+ comments| 1,345 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 9, 2013
I decided to try these 513s after having owned a pair of 511s a few years ago. I'm a thin guy at 6'0 150lb, and the 511s felt far too much like skinny jeans even though they're labeled as slim. They hugged every part of my leg and the rise was far too short for men's "parts" to have breathing room.

I had a hard time finding anything comparing the differences between the 513 and 511 - The 513s are just a more breathable 511 in my opinion. They are the perfect alternative for someone looking for slim, but avoiding the skin tight feel.

These were better fit and quality than many jeans I had paid triple the price for. Definitely recommended.

**Update** After a little over a year these jeans have just started to show enough thinning/fraying around the knees and back pockets for me to warrant buying a replacement pair before holes start to appear. For the price and considering heavy usage, that's a pretty great lifespan.
77 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 12, 2015
Love the gray color and fit! They are very comfortable. I think I am really going to enjoy wearing them.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 28, 2016
These are the best fitting jeans for my type of body, particularly because I have thick thighs and skinny jeans (511) do not fit. The jeans are backed by the Levi's quality as expected however, I want to bring Amazon's and Zappos' (the seller) attention to a misleading picture when choosing a model in Amazon.com. What I bought was 513 colour Moonlight Worn which in Amazon it shows a light blue pair of jeans with designed back pockets. What I received was a pair of 513 in a very dark blue colour. The jeans fit perfect and I am keeping them; I waited 2 days to receive some feedback from the seller and I did not and that is why I writing this review. The picture I attached shows what I ordered and what I received. A complete different model.
review image
on February 13, 2016
Sizing is pretty inconsistent here. Levi's usually run larger than I'd expect (I'm a 38x36 in every other pant, but 36x34 in Levi).

Coming from the Levi 559 which fit me perfectly (if a bit large in the thigh) in a 36x34, I expected the same size to work. Quincy 36x34 was way too small, 38x34 a bit large but still look great, about the kind of fit I'd expect, really.

Quincy is *incredibly* soft. The softest jeans I've ever owned.

I ordered a pair of Bastion, same size as the Quincy that fit me, and they were far too large, too long, and not at all soft.

So to sum up... Quincy run about the size I'd actually expect, but run small for what I'm used to from Levi, but are an amazing pair of jeans overall. Comfortable, soft, and look great.

Bastion are about the size I'd expect from Levi (I'm willing to bet the 36x34 would fit me perfectly), but don't have the softness of the Quincy.
on October 17, 2016
Just because I returned them I am not sure how to rate them but it was not Levi's fault that they didn't fit me, unless its just because they have to many decisions. I am 5' 10" tall and 194 lbs. I have a pair of levi's size 34 - 30 that I was wearing when I ordered these which fit very well. Okay so I guess my comfy Levi's are not slim straight fit and must not be 513's, the ones I just sent back were a little small around my waist, and to snug on my legs for my comfort. Very nice jeans though, I really like the stretch from 2% elastin but need a little larger waist and looser fit,

I usually go to a local store and try on jeans until I find some that fit well. I prefer buying online since I can read the reviews so I need to learn from minimal trial and error, so in the future I will know what works for me. As I stated these jeans look nice, and do not look like stretchy jeans but if they were the correct size I feel I would have really liked them. Light weight material which is fine for me since I am older now and not so rough on my jeans.

If you are a little chunky and have full size legs, vs thin legs you may not like these but if you want to try them, be sure to order a larger size then normal.
on February 10, 2017
these are the best jeans ever, especially for someone who grew up as a teen in the 1960s. these are akin to slimmer fit version of 501s that had a zipper. most of us in middle school wore these until '68 and later when bells and boot cut took over.

alas, i'm a product of my formative years so while i wear the levi slim bootcut with boots, i wear these for all other wear with either dressy shoes, or super casual, depending on the denim wash you get, these can take you to an expensive dining evening, or playing basketball. i have 2 pair that cover that range with different washes.

i will say the waist size varies up to almost an inch at times, but that doesn't really matter. the last pair i got came a bit tighter, but these stretch so after a few wearings they stretched out to perfect. this pair came at about the waist size of my other pair AFTER it stretched, which is fine. they both are the same size. my other pair has a lighter/more worn wash, these are dark with almost no wash to them, for dressing up. they aren't 'skinny' jeans, but just tapered along those mid 1960s lines so they fit low on the waist and slim in the hips and legs, but aren't tight from the knees down, just a nice taper.

this model, 513, is not usually made visible on the levi website, and you have to know about them or you won't really find them, but after 501s they are the iconic style of the 1960s...they are technically called 'slim straight fit', which is what they are. straight fit, just a bit lower waisted and slimmer in fit.

best of the best. as said, waist fit is not horribly critical as long as you get close. i'd get them snug as they do stretch out to fit. however, i've found that like all clothes these days, maybe it's ego gratification for customers, but what used to be a 33 waist is now a 32. in all other jeans or pants i take a 33 waist. i took a 32 in junior high. i bought these in 32 waist...i think they are just stroking my ego with that. but if it helps you pick your right size, i share it.
on May 18, 2017
These fit me nicely and have a bit of stretch to them, which works well for me. I have a leanish/athletic build and prefer this fit to any of the other Levis styles I have tried (505, 501, 514, etc.). These are not skinny jeans, but are appropriate for a trimmer middle-aged person such as myself (I am in my 40s). The Hunters Moon is a nice shade of very dark blue, which is what I wanted. I highly recommend these pants to anyone in my demographic looking to appear mature but still stylish.
on September 10, 2013
Previously had regular fit and relaxed fit jeans with and without bootcut. But styles change and I needed a new fresh look so my friend recommended Levi 513's. Bought 2 pairs, a dark and a lighter wash. Excellent shipping speed, Amazon always seems to deliver anything I order within a week even if I choose the cheapest slowest shipping option.

Never having owned a pair of Levi's, I feel I have been missing out. These are probably the best fitting, most comfortable jeans I have ever worn, and for the price it totally beats out high end designer brands I have been wasting my money on for years. I usually wear these on the weekend to casual outings, bar, movies, going out on the town what have you. What surprised me the most is how elastic the denim is. Every pair of jeans I ever bought was fairly rough and stiff and there is a break in period but these felt broken in as soon as I wore them, not baggy or ridged... Extremely comfortable.

People should know before buying the 513's is they are SLIM FIT. The leg opening is small so it gives you that "skinny" look but still the fabric does not hug your skin, the waist fits comfortable and is not tight. If you have really skinny legs and want something that hugs your legs then you want the 512's which is SKINNY.

Curious thing about the jeans is I bought a similar pair from Nordstrom, a dark blue with black threading (although 35$ more) but the material was denim but very stiff and hard, so I decided to return them.

All in all, great jeans, great price, great fit.
11 comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 19, 2016
I have bought many pairs of Levi's 513s. They fit and look great. But I ordered two pairs of "True Chino" 513s and although they say they are 30" inseams, they are ridiculously long, all bunched up at the bottom. Without shoes on, the pants slide well under my heels when I walk. To get the fit I wanted, I would have had to order a 29 or even 28 inch inseam. I tried washing and drying a few times with no improvement -- and of course, I cannot return them now. But I am very disappointed. Beware.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.