Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 25, 2014
Okay, I know these are "Slim" jeans and I know everyone says one must be, well, slim in order to wear them. Right? And to some degree this makes sense: Slim guy, slim cut jeans. Larger guy, larger cut jeans. Well my husband is in his late 60s and things have sort of "shifted" around over the years. Specifically, everything from his butt and thighs has been redistributed to his abdomen. He is usually very, very hard to fit because most pants that fit around the waist are huge, baggy and sloppy looking everywhere else. Enter the 513; absolutely the best fitting pants I've ever seen him wear. They fit perfectly. Everywhere.

So what's the deal? Why do these jeans fit so well and look so good? I really had to think about it and it took me many tries before I caught on. Since my husband refused to go to the store to buy some jeans, I was left to my own devices and I learned a lot about men's jeans (and Levi's in particular) in the process.

I'm oversimplifying a bit (I'm not including rise) but there are generally two things that describe the way a pair of jeans will fit a man, aside from the waist size and the inseam. First, there's the "cut." This is how the pants fit in the rear and thighs. Levi's has eight general cuts, going from "tightest" in the rear and thigh to "loosest" in the rear and thigh: Skinny, Slim, Athletic, Original, Regular, Relaxed, Comfort, and Loose. Second, there's the look and style of the leg. Levi's has four leg cuts: Skinny, Taper, Straight and Boot.

So, add this all up and there are four variables:

1. Waist size;
2. Inseam (or length);
3. Cut; and
4. Leg style.

For the most part Levi's simply mixes and matches the cut and leg style. So there is the 504 "Regular Straight" and the 508 "Regular Taper." Or there is the 559 "Relaxed Straight" and the 513 "Slim Straight," etc. Generally the "cut" is listed first followed by the "leg." ALL of the Levi's styles come in virtually any waist size and in virtually any length so as long as you get the right waist size, it will fit around the middle regardless of the cut (or the leg).

So for an "average" proportioned guy, the 513 "Slim Straight" will run slim or close fitting in the thigh and seat. For my husband however, they fit like a "normal" pant would since he's so much smaller than average in the seat and thighs. Make sense? All of this assumes you get your correct, actual waist size so guys, don't skimp there even though it's tempting.

Example: If I were trying to fit a short guy (say 30"L) with a small waist (say a 32"W), but with large thighs and a big rear end, I would probably start with something like the 550 "Relaxed Taper" or the 559 "Relaxed Straight" because the "Relaxed" cut will look "normal" on him (because he is larger than average in the seat and thighs). If the 550 and 559 are too tight in the seat and thighs, I'd move onto the next largest cut.

I hope this helps those of you who are not of "average" proportion and are struggling to find a pair of normal fitting jeans. My husband never looked better and for the first time in FOREVER he actually likes his jeans.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: NOT ALL 513s ARE MADE OF THE SAME MATERIAL!

Once we discovered how well the 513s fit my husband, I was left with the task of finding the right wash. I was very surprised to discover that there are differences both in the materials that make up the denim and the weight of the denim itself. Some of the 513s are 100% cotton while others are cotton and 1% to 2% elastane (Spandex). Still others are a blend of polyester and cotton. Finally, the weight of the denim varies. Some 513s are "midweight" and others are "heavyweight."

Based on my research here on Amazon and other websites (including Levi Strauss), I've compiled the following list of colors/washes, their materials, and the weight of the denim where possible.

1. Quincy: 100% cotton.
2. Lexicon: 78% Cotton, 16% Polyester, 6% Elastane. Stretch heavyweight denim (12 oz.) treated with a garment rinse.
3. Bastion: 98.6% Cotton, 1.4% Elastane.
4. Cash: 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane. Stretch heavyweight denim (12 oz.) treated with a garment rinse.
5. Bellingham: 99% cotton, 1% elastane.
6. Levine: 100% cotton.
7. The remaining washes/colors are all 98% cotton, 2% elastane according to another well known online retailer of Levi's (starts with a Z).

I can personally tell you that the weights of the denim vary from medium (10 oz. to 11 oz.) to heavy (12 oz) but it appears as though Levi Strauss is no longer manufacturing many of the washes available here on Amazon and the information is no longer available on Levi's website.

My husband ended up with three pairs of jeans: "Bastion" (a relatively dark rinse), "Sequoia" (a dark rinse with some minor distressing/lightening in areas), and "Quincy" (what I would call a medium blue shade). He originally balked at the idea of elastane/Spandex in his jeans and I assumed he would prefer the Quincy (the only one of the three that is 100% cotton). As it turns out, he doesn't wear the Quincy at all and prefers the Bastion and Sequoia. The addition of the bit of Spandex does a number of things: the jeans are much more comfortable because the Spandex helps them to move with you; the overall fit is better because the Spandex helps customize the size; and the jeans do not stretch out as much as 100% cotton, therefore retaining their shape and looking "fresh" for a longer period of time. You cannot tell by looking at the jeans that they contain Spandex.

Again, I hope the information I've provided helps all of you, especially those with less than ideal proportions.
5150+ comments| 1,259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 9, 2013
I decided to try these 513s after having owned a pair of 511s a few years ago. I'm a thin guy at 6'0 150lb, and the 511s felt far too much like skinny jeans even though they're labeled as slim. They hugged every part of my leg and the rise was far too short for men's "parts" to have breathing room.

I had a hard time finding anything comparing the differences between the 513 and 511 - The 513s are just a more breathable 511 in my opinion. They are the perfect alternative for someone looking for slim, but avoiding the skin tight feel.

These were better fit and quality than many jeans I had paid triple the price for. Definitely recommended.

**Update** After a little over a year these jeans have just started to show enough thinning/fraying around the knees and back pockets for me to warrant buying a replacement pair before holes start to appear. For the price and considering heavy usage, that's a pretty great lifespan.
77 comments| 275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2017
I'm not sure if Amazon's supply of Levi's is from their "irregular" rack or what exactly is going on but there's a real quality and consistency discrepancy between the jeans I ordered directly from the Levi's website and the jeans I ordered from here. Both times I ordered two pairs of 34X32 513s in the Bastion wash/fabric blend. The pairs that arrived from Levi's directly fit my husband perfectly but the pairs I received from Amazon are literally four inches too long and will have to be taken to a tailor for them to be wearable (I tried to convince him that tight-rolling jeans was back in style so I could avoid the hassle but he didn't believe me). The initial discount in ordering off Amazon isn't going to amount to anything after I pay for the jeans to be hemmed. I'm not sure why 34X32 is a measurement on the Levi's site but is a vague estimate when it comes to the pairs I buy on Amazon? In the future I'll pay more up front or wait for a sale on the Levi's site so I know I'll be receiving wearable jeans rather than the 34X36s that I've got now.
on August 9, 2017
I order a pair of these jeans about every year. This year when I bought my 32x34 jeans, they were too big in the waist and fit more like a 33 or a 34. Should have returned them but I washed and dried the jeans expecting them to shrink and fit. They did not.

I have not had trouble with Levi's sizing until now. I am dissapointed and most likely won't buy again. Probably should have found a different brand when I started having to buy a new pair every year due to the jeans disintegrating. These pants do not seem to last.
on March 2, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised to find that these jeans fit exactly as I had expected. They were snug around the waist and hips and and tapered down. The Quincy's that I ordered are 100% cotton and don't have the stretch that the other have. These feel very durable and much heavier that the American Eagles that I have recently worn. I hope to see some good life out of these. Shipping was also blazing fast. I paid an extra 4 buck for overnight shipping and they were there as promised.

Also, some spec's about me: 6'3" 208lbs. Semi Athletic build with slightly larger torso and thighs, compliments of Crossfit. I bought the 34x34 and they are right on the money for me after 1 day's break in.
on September 16, 2017
I probably won't buy these again- notice in the description how they're 40% polyester? I didn't. But it means they can get stifling hot. I've never worn pants this uncomfortably warm. Next time I'll get one of the 98% cotton washes.

They look kind of cool though. It takes three of four washings before they fade into what they look like in that picture - the first few times they come out just looking like dusty black jeans.

I like the cut - no complaints about that.
on March 1, 2017
Incredibly warm, itchy, uncomfortable material (stretch twill)
on November 16, 2015
I love the Levis 513s, and have worn them for years. The size/cut/fit I get always stays true for me, so I trust that when I order online, and generally don't ever have any issues. Did the same here, picking up three new pairs recently. Two of the three were fantastic - exactly what I expected, and I am very pleased (colors on those were Bellingham and Bastion).
But I also ordered a pair of the Bowman Lakes. And they look awesome! Was very excited. But, there is something wrong with the fit. It's as if the crotch/hips area was cut/sewn too tightly or maybe some sort of manufacturing error. I am not sure if all the Bowman Lakes are like this, but these are just too tight in the hips and will not get much use from me. Can barely move in them. Which is very unfortunate, because I didn't discover this until it was a little too late to return, so now I'm just stuck with a pair of really nice looking jeans that I can't really wear. Unfortunate, because I do love Levis so much, and every other pair Ive had have been great with no fit issues like this. That said, I want to be clear - I am definitely still a fan of Levis and will continue to buy and wear them! But if you are buying the Bowman Lakes, just be aware. Again, not sure if I just received a fluke pair or what, but I am a bit disappointed because I initially had selected a different color and only changed it to the Bowman at the last second. Wish I would've stuck with what I originally planned, or could be compensated somehow. But hey, what do you do... not the end of the world. Life goes on, lesson learned.
on February 10, 2017
these are the best jeans ever, especially for someone who grew up as a teen in the 1960s. these are akin to slimmer fit version of 501s that had a zipper. most of us in middle school wore these until '68 and later when bells and boot cut took over.

alas, i'm a product of my formative years so while i wear the levi slim bootcut with boots, i wear these for all other wear with either dressy shoes, or super casual, depending on the denim wash you get, these can take you to an expensive dining evening, or playing basketball. i have 2 pair that cover that range with different washes.

i will say the waist size varies up to almost an inch at times, but that doesn't really matter. the last pair i got came a bit tighter, but these stretch so after a few wearings they stretched out to perfect. this pair came at about the waist size of my other pair AFTER it stretched, which is fine. they both are the same size. my other pair has a lighter/more worn wash, these are dark with almost no wash to them, for dressing up. they aren't 'skinny' jeans, but just tapered along those mid 1960s lines so they fit low on the waist and slim in the hips and legs, but aren't tight from the knees down, just a nice taper.

this model, 513, is not usually made visible on the levi website, and you have to know about them or you won't really find them, but after 501s they are the iconic style of the 1960s...they are technically called 'slim straight fit', which is what they are. straight fit, just a bit lower waisted and slimmer in fit.

best of the best. as said, waist fit is not horribly critical as long as you get close. i'd get them snug as they do stretch out to fit. however, i've found that like all clothes these days, maybe it's ego gratification for customers, but what used to be a 33 waist is now a 32. in all other jeans or pants i take a 33 waist. i took a 32 in junior high. i bought these in 32 waist...i think they are just stroking my ego with that. but if it helps you pick your right size, i share it.
on January 12, 2016
My husband typically wears a 32/30. He has a muscular butt and thighs. It tends to be hard to find pants that fit him well and still look somewhat stylish. This was the 5th pair of jeans I ordered for him to try, and the 3rd pair of Levis. We finally found a winner.

I wasn't sure what type of Levis to order as he's never worn them before. The 514 style fit well in the waist and thighs, but were far took wide in the calves and ankles. They also seem to be an inch or two too long. They almost looked bootcut and gave a sloppy appearance. They might be better on someone tall though.

Then he tried the 511 cut. They fit through the waist and looked much better in the calves and ankles, but the thighs were skin tight. So that pair had to go back too. These would be better on someone very slim.

The 513 pair blends the other two styles. The top half fit very similar to the 514 and the bottom a bit more tapered and nearly like the 511. They do seem to run about an inch long, but aren't available in a shorter length. These by far were the best pair and worth keeping.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.