Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 2, 2016
I forgot to write a review at the time, but I bought this in October of 2012 from Amazon just before a trip to Britain to visit family and friends as a means to lock my laptop bag so as to avoid people trying to open it when out on the Tube and such. The lock worked fine until about 5 days into the trip when it suddenly locked up on me. After going through each and every single possible combination all the way from 000 to 999, I finally went out into the garage at my grandmother's and used a pair of old garden sheers to cut both loops. I then bought a pair of traditional locks from a nearby store to last the rest of the trip.

I filed a claim with Amazon straight away who asked me to return the lock upon my return just over a week later, which I did. My advice would be to avoid using, and just getting a pair of single cable locks, which does the same purpose (such as the Master Lock units) but without the high rate of failures when compared to this particular product.
19 people found this helpful
on October 12, 2014
I've lost three locks to TSA. Either they weren't re-locked properly or not put back on my bags at all. I contacted Lewis N. Clark and they suggested I try something like this. Can attach to the suitcase. This way, if the lock somehow unlocks because they weren't locked properly after TSA inspected the bag, or weren't put on at all, at least the lock is still attached to the suitcase.

Works just like a regular TSA lock. Both ends of the long cable can be detached from the lock.

A little tricky to reset a combination from the factory-set combination but not a big thing.

Update…lost another TSA lock, not this type…

Also, to answer some of the concerns in the questions on this lock….

The two cables have specific purposes. The longer side goes to the handle. No exception. I had my backwards and when TSA tried to open the lock, the short end opened and the long end, which was locking my zippers together, didn't open. They fussed with it for a bit. Fortunately, I noticed this and asked another officer if the first officer needed help. The second officer went over, then a third. Couldn't open it. Good thing they asked me to come in the secure area (under supervision), to open my lock. At that time, they explained that their TSA key opens only one cable. It does NOT open the cables on the long end. Only one of the shorter ends. That cable is marked "TSA" on the side of the lock. So, the lock should not become separated from the suitcase because the long end cannot be unlocked by TSA.

Be sure you put the long cable to your handle or something secure on your suitcase, and the short cable goes through the zippers.

So far, I'm very pleased with this lock. Don't lose the instructions.

3/2017. Finally lost one of these...TSA cut it off. Why? Got no idea. Talked to the supervisor on duty who couldn't explain why the lock wasn't attached to my bag. The only way for the lock NOT to be on the bag is if it is cut off by TSA...why would they need to do that? Got no idea.... They gave me forms to file for a claim.
7 people found this helpful
on August 19, 2017
I bought this lock awhile ago. On the second use it would not unlock. No matter what I tried. I know I had the combination correct, but it refused to unlock... while it was on my laptop bag, at a time when i needed it quickly.

Much to my chagrin, cutting the cable took me all of three minutes (maybe less). In other words, the lock provided NO security whatsoever. I doubt I can get my money back from Amazon, but I can advise anyone looking for a real security product to look elsewhere, and leave this toy alone. I would give it ZERO stars, if it were possible.
3 people found this helpful
on June 23, 2015
Used lock on our trip to Cozumel the lock was cut off returning from Cozumel to Cleveland. NOT TSA approved.
Had a notice of bag inspection from TSA telling us to use a TSA approved lock next time.
review image
33 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on September 4, 2017
I wish I had had these years ago. I travel a lot internationally, and sometimes you want to not just lock the bag, but make sure that someone behind the scenes can't do the "push thru the zipper with a pencil, open the bag, rip stuff off, and then pull BOTH zipper tabs over to re-close the zipper" business. This double lock solves that problem because you can lock the second loop around your luggage handle, so no one will be able to move your zippers in either direction. The big loop is also long enough that you may be able to hook it through not just your main compartment zipper, but the secondary compartment as well. You can also lock your bag to a luggage rack and catch some rest on the train/bus, knowing that nobody will be able to rip off your suitcase while you sleep or go to the WC. This is a great idea, well made - thank you!
on April 18, 2018
The locks we ordered for our trip to the Adriatic arrived on time and intact. The packaging was incredibly difficult to open, 2 layers of plastic that resisted even my sharpest knife (I hate to have to use a knife to open a package anyway) and had to be completely opened to access the instructions.

The instructions for setting a personal combination were incredibly nebulous. One has to push the cable ends towards the center of the lock to release them but that wasn't clear. I set the combo to 000 as instructed and pulled and yanked and twisted until I decided to watch a video of someone opening it. The search for the video shouldn't have been necessary.

All considered tho, I have confidence this will meet our secure luggage needs. We also purchased additional cable to secure luggage to sink drain pipes, etc in hotels.

Don't forget to remove the reset tool (red plastic in image)! That's not very clear in the instructions either. Perhaps the maker is relying on common sense and forgetting Murphy's Law.
on June 4, 2015
I just purchased this lock for a trip to Italy. I read the reviews before purchasing this lock and again when my lock arrived and I needed to set the combination. The instructions that came with the lock said to turn the dials to 0-0-0 and then unlock the smaller wire, tip A. Then the instructions said to push Tip B to the reset position, and they refer to a little red dot.

I could not find a little "red dot" where the "reset" button was. I watched the video on the amazon size and they said to use a tool to push and hold the reset button while setting the combination to your new code. This was hard to do myself, but I did accomplish the job. I just used my tool and pressed until I found the spot where I could feel depression. It would be easier to have another person to help set the combination.

Based on the other reviews, when I need to unlock the long wire end, I will pull the cable "Tip C" and not "Tip B" so as to not accidentally reset the lock.

I am hoping this works well. I want to use this to secure a single zipper to the double zipper so when walking with our bags in Italy, no one can unzip the single zipper.
3 people found this helpful
on November 4, 2017
Ok, I have a graduate degree from my State University, build two upscale homes, am pretty handy mechanically; but this lock initially outsmarted me.
Read the directions, then after you think it’s defective , read them again very carefully. Your bound to eventually figure out how to set your own code using that little red plastic thing that has no arrow pointing to it in the directions but has a function other than looks. It seems like a decent lock for the price. Don’t lose the red plastic thing and when you figure it out , make notes on the directions if you ever plan on changing your code.
on June 12, 2017
Useful little luggage lock or light duty padlock to keep honest people honest. (That can be said of any lock though, really.)

Changing the combination was easy with the included instructions, and the overall construction seems sturdy and well done.

It could easily be defeated by someone with a couple correct tools, but as a deterrent to theft and to keep away the casual or opportunistic thief it should work well, and TSA can open it if they need to. Their key only opens one side of the shorter loop on the lock, so it should be easy for them to deal with, giving a better chance that they'll lock it back up once they've opened it.
on September 2, 2015
I had a similar lock made by TUMI. I gave it away to my brother who travels extensively. He was raving about it. I could not find another one till I came across this no name brand lock. First of all I read that in the aircraft when everyone is sleeping, there is a high rate of theft of personal of items and money by other passengers and even the airline staff (confirmed by a senior pilot). This type of lock can be used not only to lock your own but your companion's bag as well (Being held together in the top bin). This should prevent such a loss. (recently one of my friend travel to far Eastern country. Someone had removed his valuables from his carry on bag while he was asleep. He called the airline crew and altered them. In turn, he blocked the exit way. The police arrived and arrested the person who "happened" to have not only my friend's but other passenger's stolen items in a bag he was carrying). Secondly even though the suit case is locked, people have opened it by piercing a suitcase zipper and removing items and "repairing the zipper" by moving it back and forth . If applied correctly, this also can be stopped.

If you read the travel sites, it recommends such a lock and USE IT as directed. I suppose this should keep the articles safe to a great extent. Happy travels...
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.