BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on July 17, 2011
So for the price of these they sound great but here is what I have seen over the past.

If you don't use them for about a month sometimes they don't work anymore. (Lexmark told me I need to print something at least once every week or two) which I kinda think is crap. While I understand why, I came from an old school HP Inkjet and I tell you what. I could go 6 months without printing and when I needed to print that bad boy still printed great.

These, wait a month and you get nothing to print.

I have also had to have 2 printers swapped by lexmark for failure. While the warranty service they provide is great I noticed once you move the ink from one printer to another it fails almost right away. Lexmark has you do this but after the first time they sent me replacement inks and heads, which was great but same happened on the second swap. (thus why this purchase) as I don't want to look like I am abusing it so I am just buying my own now.

Anyway for the price they are okay but the ink quality is poor also. Water based which means it smudges very easy. Also not good for photos. I wish they would offer photo or better ink for when we did want to print something good. For general paper printing though I guess you can't go wrong at $5 if they actually last.

So far have used 3 of these and have yet to get to use an entire one of ink before it stops printing or fails. Everyone seems to die about halfway through. (or so thats what the level shows at).
on June 8, 2012
This 105xl is exactly the same as the 100xl except for the chip on top. It's made by lexmark so I'm sure that the ink is really good. I simply changed the chip for the one on my original 100 cartridge and the printer is ok. I suspect that it will eventually stop because of the print count on the chip, but I have a non-oem ink cartridge with a new chip which I suspect will work if I use it instead. It has a bypass on it that allows one to override the print count. I'll have to update this post to confirm all of this.
on September 1, 2017
Brought my mfp back to life again! I'm able to use generic color inks but their black inks never work. I used to pick this up at Staples but they know longer carry it. Hopefully they'll continue to be sold online.
on August 23, 2012
Several reviewers have pointed out that you can use this 105XL on any printer that takes 100XL by transplanting the RFID chip from the empty 100XL to the full 105XL. And some have said it won't work for long because the printer still thinks the cartridge is empty, and after a few prints it'll refuse to print even though the 105XL cartridge is full.

There is an easy solution to this! I bought a generic 100XL cartridge (specifically this one: Lexmark 100XL (14N1068) High Yield Black Compatible Inkjet/Ink Cartridge), took its RFID chip and put it in this Lexmark 105XL. Now my printer thinks the cartridge is full (and it is), and it works perfectly!

The genuine 105XL and the generic 100XL combined are still cheaper than half of the genuine 100XL, so it's still a great deal!
on October 18, 2010
As the previous review mentioned, you can swap this cartridge in place of a much higher priced 100 or 100xl cartridge. I just peeled back the label and cut the plastic piece holding the RF ID down. Then swapped it to the new cartridge and placed some scotch tape on it to hold it down.

The only downside is that the printer still thinks it is low on ink, since the ink counter doesn't get reset. The printer still thinks you have the old cartridge in there. Oh well. Just ignore it and keep printing.

One other tip, make sure you have it pressed in all the way into the printer. Mine didn't work at first, it looked like it was still out of ink. Then I reseated it firmly and it worked.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
I bought this product thinking it might be a replacement for 100XL black ink. It turns out it fit on the printhead except the firmware on the printer kept telling my computer not to use the printer because the ink wasn't the right model. So I changed the chip underneath the sticker, like some websites suggested, but it now said the black ink was completely empty eventhough it was brand new! Don't waste your time and money, just buy the 100XL

Also, shame on you Lexmark. You built an exactly identical ink cartridge and sell it for $5 to only a handful of consumers while the rest of us have to be paying $25 for the exact same thing! The only difference is the chip underneath the sticker telling the printer not to save the consumer any money. I thought you guys were better than that. How can you guys be more sustainable if you make the same product for, I hope, a much higher cost. If its the same cost, then just charge the same price.
on December 4, 2016
Do not purchase!! This will not work in a Lexmark printer. Error message "missing printer cartridge" and will not print. Don't waste your money.
on September 11, 2017
great price! I am very satisfied.
on September 18, 2015
Update on replacing the rfid chip: This past weekend both our Mac's started reading the new cartridge as empty rather than low, and that means the printer won't work. Our two PC's still work with the printer but something changed with the Mac - not sure if Apple pushed an update or if Lexmark did. I called Lexmark about the printer not printing and I think they knew exactly what the issue was - they wanted to sell me a $120 "fix" for the problem.
on June 23, 2017