From the Inside Flap
Yet the road to success was anything but smooth for Lexus. How did Toyota Motor come to dominate one of the most competitive, high profile and lucrative markets in the world? This book answers that question and looks at the issues Lexus now faces to stay on top. It is an important tool for anyone with an appreciation for fine autos--or just plain business smarts. Using a wealth of internal materials and interviews with key sources developed in his years as Tokyo correspondent for BusinessWeek magazine, Chester Dawson documents the growth of Lexus--from its genesis at top secret Toyota Motor board meeting in the fall of 1983 to the strategy behind an all new line-up due out over the next three years to 2007.
From the Back Cover
Chester Dawson brings to life the story of Lexus. This is a tale of invention, innovation, consumer insight, dedication and resolve. Dawson tells the story with drama, vision and insider detail. He unlocks the keys to how Toyota took a vague idea and turned it into a flagship brand and a new automotive icon.- Michael Silverstein, Senior Vice President, The Boston Consulting Group
While Detroit is still trying to figure out how Toyota made Lexus the best-selling luxury brand in the United States, Chester Dawson has dissected the Lexus story in an enlightening way. Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit brings to life the personalities who brought about an automotive phenomenon. This is a must-read not only for car buffs, but for any manager or executive who wants to understand any manager or executive who wants to understand how to create, sustain and expand an elite brand.- Micheline Maynard, author of the End of Detroit: How the Big Three Lost their Grip on the American Car Market
Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit takes you behind the scenes of one of the most ambitious and lucrative business strategies executed in the past 20 years.
- Learn why Toyota Motor decided to take on the German luxury brands-and how the company attacked the problem, starting with a top-secret board meeting in 1983
- Find out what drove the brand's success: the hows and whys of its unparalleled quality, those unforgettable ads and the unprecedented customer service
- Get the inside story on the birth of the luxury division, the vehicle code names and the lawsuit that almost derailed the launch of the billion dollar brand in 1989
- Discover how Lexus stumbled into its most successful line of vehicles: Luxury SUVs
- Take a virtual tour of Toyota Motor's crown jewel factories: the flagship Lexus plant in Tahara, Japan and the newest Lexus facility in Cambridge, Ontario.
This book is essential reading for automotive and business professionals!