Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on July 11, 2013
After watching the HBO movie Behind the Candelabra I wanted to absorb as much Liberace as possible. I had seen this movie before, Behind the Music, but it had been years, so I ordered this movie. It is very well done, acting wonderful and does go into his earlier life which I wanted to see. If you are a Liberace fan, you will not be disappointed...it is a really good movie and has alot of his talent that some others movie did not show. Of course, Behind the Candelabra was strictly from Scott Thontons book, this movie has more of Liberace's professional life also. REMEMBER....too much of a good thing is...WONDERFUL!!! Buy this movie1
on November 30, 2013
Like many on here I thought this was the other, far superior US made for TV movie that came out in the late 80. I had seen it and remembered the fictional "Miss Be Haven devirgin-izing scene" but transposed both as the same film. The acting here is decent and Candelabra HBO fans like myself will have to admit that seeing an actual teenage actor in the role of Scott Thosron, albeit with a very clunky script, is a bit of a game changer. As much as I loved Matt Damon's performance (and he does look much younger than his years) and find it superior, it did make me wonder what a 18 to 22 years old actor would have done with the part and how much more dramatic they would have looked as a couple. The production had very fake backdrops at one point and the studio lighting was mediocre. I wish that Liberace's final days had been dealt with more thoroughly and with more compassion. The worst was the ending where they mention AIDS and leave it like that with a cheap fast credit roll over a freeze frame. But Victor Garber was GREAT and Lee fans will still want to watch this. If anyone knows about the other Lee made for TV movie being available please let me know. This film has great 1950s dresses in it as an aside.
on March 24, 2013
I remember watching the excellent made for TV movie when it was first presented so was glad I was able to pick up a DVD. If you have read Liberace: The True Story, you will see it follows the book amazingly closely. Very well done adaptation. The young man who plays the part of Liberace did and excellent portrayal. The casting crew did an amazing job in picking characters who closely resembled the actual people in Liberace's life.

After watching some YouTube clips on some of Liberace's performances, I was amazed to discover that the movie has taken even the exact words and I believe some actual concert footage to reproduce some of the most memorable scenes in his life. Excellent movie..well worth watching if you, like me have been a fan of this amazing, one of a kind entertainer.
on December 5, 2009
A movie made in Canada the year after Liberace's death; I bought it because years ago I had seen a movie on TV on the same subject, and I thought this was the one; it was not, however it is really great (I would be embarrassed to say how many times I have watched this film since I got it two weeks ago) It shows Liberace's early adult life as he becomes famous. Victor Garber (from Titanic) is just great in the lead, and is so believable; the voice, the mannerisms, he even looks like him; and his manager played by Saul Rubinek is wonderful too. The music is a treat, the acting good, the story entertaining. Last but not least, the movie handles Liberace's personal life in a very sensitive way. Would recommend it highly for Liberace fans, and it only cost something like $2, so go buy it--what do you have to lose??? It is out of print so it may not be available for long.
on March 22, 2015
I had seen this movie a few years back when, I believe it was a made for TV production. At the time, I thought it was great and, after receiving it and viewing it again, my first reaction was absolutely right on. Victor Garber was fabulous in the lead role! I saw the latest movie with Mike Douglas and, although I like Mike Douglas as an actor, he seemed somehow miscast in the Liberace role. Also, there was another production and I think (but I'm not certain) that it was titled simply "Liberace" and it featured Andy Robinson (the bad guy in the first "Dirty Harry" film) and he absolutely nailed the part. I patiently await the arrival of this movie to DVD .
on December 7, 2009
Unfortunately, I didn't get in on the Liberace craze when he was performing in Las Vegas. I was a very young teenager and I heard only blue-haired women saw his shows. Oh! The lies!! This movie proved I missed one of the greatest and grandest performers ever. The elegance and elaborated performances took my breath away. I would have fainted from the exuberance beauty if I had been present!!
My senses were in overdrive just watching clips on the DVD. The movie was very well done and a (hopefully) honest look into Liberace's life. I'm looking for actual footage of his shows, so if anyone can help, please contact me!!
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2016
A cheap, supermarket tabloid knockoff meant to exploit the moment surrounding Liberace's death. Historically inaccurate.
on May 18, 2017
If you want the story of Liberace, this is the place to get it.

Well done, good music and cast!
on June 16, 2016
THIS DOCUMENTARY IS EVERYTHING YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THE GOD OF GLAMOUR, LIBERACE! The costumes, the jewelry, the music! YES, honey! It is documentary film making AT IT'S FINEST! Gather up ANYBODY that lives for scandal, mix up a cocktail, and sit back and watch this feast for the eyes!
on April 10, 2014
With the success of "Behind the Candelabra" , I sought out this original version. It doesn't have the glitter and excitement of its competitor, but, it reads okay. It is no where as juicy as "Candelabra" so it looks a little feeble in comparison. Vincent barber delivers a solid performance, but, again pales next to Michael Douglas' engulfing portrayal. It looks a little deceptive in downplaying Liberace's dark controversies.
I still prefer "Behind the Candelabra".