Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 19, 2016
I particularly enjoyed this PBS take on the American Revolution. The work is largely factual (as far as I know). The most interesting thing about this work is that it takes a primarily social view of the revolution. I had never seen this historical event treated in this way and it adds another dimension to our understanding of the time. If you are more interested in a military view of the revolution this work may be found somewhat disappointing. However, if you looking for another perspective of the founding of the United States this is certainly worth a look.
on May 5, 2017
This should be mandatory viewing for all Americans. This is our inception, our birth, our birthright, and now our responsibility. I cannot say enough good things about the detail, historical documentation, and excellence of production found in this series. Do yourself and your family, AND YOUR COUNTRY, a great service by investing in this series and teaching your family what it means to be an American.
VINE VOICEon October 9, 2013
This outstanding documentary was made by PBS. Liberty, explores the causes and reasons for the American Revolution. Why the 13 American Colonies who population considered themselves "proper Englishmen" for almost 250 years, went to being rebels in a span of less than 20 years. The documentary explores the varied reasons why the American Revolution occurred and what happened during the Revolution. This is not a documentary that goes indepth about the famous battles, but is a documentary that goes into the people whose lives it effected. Both Tory and Rebel, men and women this documentary explains the feelings about the American Revolution what I would call America's "First Civil War". The controversy of slavery, disloyalty of subjects to their king, rich merchants who didn't want to pay their taxes. All these subjects and many more are presented in fascinating history. Beautiful scenery, great narration, and people who portray famous Colonial Americans. You can't ask for more! This is a series that I recommend in an American History Classroom. This is a series that I recommend to anyone who is interested in Colonial America and The American Revolution. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on July 22, 2015
Have seen this many times. Hope to see it many more. (BTW, Philip Seymour Hoffman plays a real character based on diary entries of the time!) The best story explaining how our American revolution came about and how we formed a nation (inc. the proposed constitution being read in town halls and agreed to by the majority!!)
on January 13, 2017
Very informative that every American should view and always remember - our heritage.
on February 25, 2017
This is a must-see for any American (and every new president). It should be shown in schools too. It really gives you a feel for just how close we came to losing! And of how America was practically spawning "a new race of man" as one British soldier described it toward the end of the series, and which that cover picture is tied to. Some people described it as being of a too-British perspective, But not really. It's just that we were British colonies. The 1st episode you might wonder if you want to keep going with it, but keep going with it! It's inspirational by the time it ends.
on August 17, 2016
Great show. I watch it every year around the 4th of July
on June 14, 2017
I stumbled across this DVD series while looking for two History Channel series on the Revolution that I watched years ago (The American Revolution and The Revolution). This series seemed to be better rated and award winning and coming from PBS I thought I would give it a shot even though it was even older than the series I had been researching. I finished watching the 6-part series and I have to say I preferred both the History Channel series (which I have parts of on VHS still) to Liberty. My biggest issues with the series are as follows: 1) Introduction of each 1-hour episode by Forrest Sawyer in an arm chair was both dated an unnecessary. I would have preferred the intro be incorporated into the narration of the series. And while I did grow up with Forrest Sawyer as a news anchor I suddenly realized how much his appearance dated the series. 2) Some great and well known actors are actually forced to dress up in period costumes, sit or stand with some generic period background, and recite to camera comments made from figures of the time (some famous like the founding fathers, some not like a generic soldier). This was perhaps the most distracting and embarrassing part of the series. I was actually embarrassed for some of the actors that I like. I would have been perfectly happy with the actors narrating the parts (as is done in the History Channel series) while watching images of paintings of the time or maps of troop movements. Alternatively, I would have been thrilled to have the actors re-enact historical events as their character, but instead Liberty offers this weird hybrid. I couldn't help but wonder how much it cost to create a "set" for those scenes since they had different backdrops and whether the actors were wearing jeans or shorts since you never saw below their chest. It was distracting and dated. Finally, 3) Each episode ended with James Taylor and a fiddle player playing some song with "Soldier" in the title. While I love period music (A&E's Turn: Washington's Spies has some great pieces) I could not stand this song. It doesn't help that I don't like James Taylor at all so as soon as he opened his mouth the sing I was cringing. I think this was a selling point of the series at some point, but I don't need it after every episode and in the DVD extras. Hearing it once was enough. So while it was an inexpensive purchase and available new, I'm definitely still looking for a good price on the other two series so I can finally have them on DVD as I feel they are both better (probably some of that has to do with them being newer productions, though not that new at this point - they were also longer and took the viewer through more details of the war, which I liked). On a side note I also saw Sons of Liberty when it came out on tv and I didn't care for that series as much even though it is one of the newer period productions.
on October 2, 2013
You will find info about the American Revolution in this series that I've never seen anywhere else. It's a bit graphic at times but I overlook that because it's a documentary done well. The actors in this piece are superb. Entertaining and a good way to round out your knowledge of Revolutionary times.
on January 4, 2015
THE LIVING HISTORY OF THE REVOLUTION COMES ALIVE ON THIS PBS DOCUMENTRY. THE QUALITY OF MATERIAL AND PRODUCTION ARE GUARANTEED. AND IF YOU WATCH LIBERTY1, YOU WILL BE INSPIRED TO READ OF ITS EVENTS. THIS IS LERNING AT ITS VERY BEST. EVENTS, LOCATIONS, AND PEOPLE COME ALIVE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES. AND YOU LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE FOUNDING OF AMERICA AND THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRFICE TO INSURE THE LIBERTIES WE ENJOY TODAY. SUCH A GIFT AND SO AFFORDABLE. YOU CAN PURCHASE THE ENTIRE VIDEO LIBRRY OF THE REVOLUTION FOR THE PRICE OF A SINGLE BOTTLE OF GOOD WINE. AND THIS VIDEO WILLNEVER LOSE ITS FLAVOR FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. RAISE YOUR GLASSES ON HIGH AND TOAST THIS PBS ADVENTURE OF AMERICA'S SOUL.