Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 146 reviews(4 star). See all 3,334 reviews
on April 24, 2009
Liberty and Tyranny is an excellent book for anyone trying to acquaint themselves with basic conservative ideology. Mr. Levin provides his reader with a great field manual that covers many of today's most contentious issues. It is probably not too much of an exaggeration to say that it is the best work of its kind to emerge this decade. I therefore highly recommend this book. The work falls a little short of being a classic, however, and there are three areas in which I would like to offer some constructive criticism; I do this with all due respect to Mr. Levin, whom I admire greatly. Liberty and Tyranny contains many truths that are timeless, but too often illustrates them with examples that are drawn from 2007 and 2008. This may be resonant for today's reader, but will probably make the work seem outdated to those reading it in the future. The book also frequently delves into polemics. While it is important to address your opponent's criticisms, a conservative manifesto should concern itself with explicating the ideology, and rise above disputation. Finally, I wish the book had more fully elaborated the philosophical foundation of individualism, that it would have devoted more space to the first principles of conservatism, in essence that it would have made the leap from political commentary to political philosophy, and been a book that could be used not only in the break room, but also the class room; in the manner of a Second Treaties on Government, Reflection's on the Revolution in France, or Democracy in America. This being said, it is no disgrace to Mr. Levin that he fell a little short of Locke, Burke, or de Tocqueville and it should in not discourage anyone from going out and buying Liberty and Tyranny.
2 people found this helpful
on September 18, 2016
Hard to read, written like a textbook at times, but Mr Levin is the master of conservatism. I enjoy his radio program. He is hard hitting and is very knowledgable on his subjects. Parts of the book are easier to read than others, but he is the voice of reason.
6 people found this helpful
on August 18, 2017
Interesting and informative book. Well written. I would recommend it.
One person found this helpful
on March 22, 2015
I was impress with the historical and factual information in this book, and felt it was worth giving to several of my grand children who all have graduated from different universities. The constitutional knowledge demonstrated by Mr. Levin was more than I ever learned in school, books, newspapers, magazines, or life's experiences. Can't thank Mr. Levin enough for Liberty and Tyranny.
on December 5, 2016
Mark Levin did a good job with this book. A little dry but didn't expect it to be full of surprises.
on October 4, 2009
Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin

Short review: 205 pages, plus 36 pages of notes
Highly recommended. Eminently readable. Smooth prose. A lot of ground covered, but with great skill. This is an easy week-end read, but raises crucial societal, political and environmental issues. A clandestine visitor from outer space, if he read this book, would find, in one place, a good summary of the major arguments facing the American today. I would like to see the opposition write "The Myth - of Liberty and Tyranny" and debunk -if they can- each chapter's logic, asserted facts and reasoning. And do so step-by-step, so we, the dumb plebs, can follow the argument closely. It is a strongly disturbing book. Somebody, somewhere, is very wrong, and very blind. And surrounded by too many rabid 'hangers on'. Seems to me that too many people, including many so-called 'experts' are so anxious to cloak themselves in the mantle of righteousness, and stand on the barricades, breast unfurled and flags a-flutter, that they have become dizzy with power and ideology, blind to reason, and utterly unwilling to listen and admit that they could -conceivably- (oh, heavens!) actually -maybe- be utterly wrong. Americans, young and old, need perhaps to spend less time watching football and television, playing mind numbing computer games, dozing off and relying on "The Government". How about we all read this book, seriously, question everything, demand answers, and treat -with great suspicion- ALL who proclaim they are our salvation. Seems to me that "Power" is the name of this game. "Power over you and you, 'cos I knows best..."

Long review: The 36 pages of notes were helpful, although I still saw assertions that were without source, and therefore difficult to verify. The book urgently needs a "search index", so you can more quickly refer back to names and quotes.
The ten chapters and the epilogue bear titles which are a good indication of content: 1.On Liberty and Tyranny 2. On Prudence and Progress 3. On Faith and the Founding 4. On the Constitution 5. On Federalism 6. On the Free Market 7. On the Welfare State 8. On Enviro-statism 9. On Immigration 10. On Self Preservation and Epilogue: A Conservative Manifesto. Having just finished it, I gaze at a book that is full of 'highlighted' paragraphs, somewhat beaten up, and that has set me thinking. I like it when I feel challenged in my beliefs. Hmmm... so what, for instance, if global warming IS in fact more the outcry of "a small clique of alarmists" (p.133) and less scientific fact? "31,000 scientists had signed a petition rejecting the theory of human caused warming" (p.136). And "Moreover, numerous experts are now claiming that, once again, the world is COOLING". (p.136) Given the truly vast potential cost to the economy (jobs, livelihoods, standard of living) that seems to be coming ("cap and trade") down the line at us (like an ethanol express train) we are going to look pretty silly if the universal mantra "of man-made global warming" is in fact based more on a "stampede" (p.137) of the manipulative self-appointed heroes of the barricade (Look at me! I'll save you! Follow ME!) than on 'cold' (pun intended) fact. Read chapter 8 (On Enviro-statism) and see what you make of it. (I'm suspicious, Mr Gore...)
Chapters 5 and 6 (On Federalism and On the Free Market) seemed to me to have borrowed much from F.A.Hayek's excellent "The Road to Serfdom", and I was glad when he frankly admitted it, and went ahead and quoted F.A Hayek. This author anyway comes across as quiet and sincere in his beliefs, rather than bombastic, self adulatory and populist.
I have long had a strong sense that FDR's much vaunted New Deal and his myriad 'alphabet soup' of government agencies were a truly massive hindrance to ending the Great Depression, rather than a help. (Mr Obama says the debate is over - The New Deal is the way to go....). It was interesting reading about the 'assault on the free market' (p.63)
Here is a paragraph I would agree with wholeheartedly. I would welcome sincere thinkers who disagree, to explain to me why I am misguided in this sentiment. Heck, at least I'm trying to be open-minded...
(P. 67) "Who then decides what is good for the public or in the public interest? The Constitution provides the parameters within which the federal government has authority to act. How does violating those parameters, which are intended to secure individual liberty (including private property rights) against the tyranny of an all-too-powerful government, serve the public interest? Moreover, where does the Statist acquire his clairvoyance in determining what is good for the public?"
To me, this book is a challenge to the smug, self-satisfied, closed minded doctrinaires amongst us.. Who abound. It must be so nice to have read a half dozen trendy books, and perfectly know all the answers. It must be so nice to wake up in the morning, feel enlightened and wise, knowing you are the blazing light of the future. Hold on here, folks. Duh.... what if you are actually misinformed, narrow minded, bigoted, plain wrong, and leading many people (and yourself) down the primrose garden path? Think about it. And maybe (heck, be a devil) read this book...
3 people found this helpful
on April 15, 2015
This is a great book! I love Mark Levin. He makes many excellent points and has even made me rethink my point of view on quite a few things. I highly recommend this book and his radio show.
on July 22, 2009
I am a 21 year old full time college student and I absolutely loved this book the first time that I read it. While the book is well researched and Mr. Levin makes some very good points, as I look at it again, I'm afraid that the style in which this book is written at times makes it seem like right-wing/republican propaganda. I did not notice this the first time, simply because I agreed with most of what the author had to say.

Anyone attempting to read this who does not consider themselves a conservative, I would encourage to try to keep an open mind and try not to get offended by the authors harsh tone towards liberals or as he would call them statists and focus on the core of the arguments and do additional research.

With that being said, there is a lot of great information in this book that exposes the flaws and shortcomings of a wide range of political issues. Arm yourself with knowledge and go out and defend liberty.
10 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2017
Good read that lays out foundational principles for taking back our country from the Statists that surround from every politic, business, school and corner of our society.
on February 22, 2016