Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on March 5, 2011
After searching for an age appropriate video with which to instruct my grandsons, I came across this series. I downloaded the first video, the Boston Tea Party. As I am well versed in American History, I immediately detected a political slant to the video.

In the opening minutes, the "Patriots" are depicted as a beer swilling, screaming rabble ready for a fight. The heroine is in immediate peril due to the "patriot" rabble threatening to burn the ship she is on. I didn't need to see more...

DON'T buy this if you want an unbiased representation of the facts.
1414 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 30, 2010
Politically correct propaganda. (Propaganda is 90% truth.) Written to promote an inaccurate reflection of factual events by those with a vested interest in the mental programming of young people and future adults in believing in such propaganda. Kind of like the lie that the "war of northern aggression" (aka the civil war) was about slavery instead of European banking interest trying to break up the country into 2 pieces to fully control it. Or like the lie that Lincoln was the great emancipator. (Not!) "Moses" was the code name of Benjamin Franklin by the secret society that he belonged to. Not a freed slave working for Ben Franklin as depicted. Slavery is discussed here as if it were the topic of the day every day. Puke. Overplayed to make Americans of that time appear in a negative fashion. Typical of Hollywood today. (Notice who all of the bad guys are in today's movies.) It also tries to portray a Jewish man as if he were an Israelite when their very own (Jewish) encyclopedia states that it is incorrect to portray Jewish people as Israelites. (Notice the ethnicity of the writer. Can't even leave modern politics out of it.) I realize that it was meant for children, but that is how you program adults. You program them as children. Then there is the "myth of the noble savage" theme running throughout as well. Otherwise, if you know the FACTUAL history and need a refresher course in it, it is entertaining and the graphics are very good. You will also notice that the face of Sarah and the face of James are idenitical. Their hair, lips, eyebrows, etc. are slightly different, but otherwise, there is a lack of originality bewteen these two visually. (Must be why they never kiss!) They also rarely change clothes. The same clothes are worn 98% of the time. Question: Did we really ever win independence from the British when the same British Rothschild banking interest that controlled us then, controls us today out of the "Crown" in the "City of London"? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe they were afraid that we were catching on to them and the money scam they run on us after the events of 9-11 has blown up in their face?
1111 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 9, 2010
The series starts with the Boston Tea Party (from which the Tea Party gets it's name) and ends with George Washington becoming the 1st President. It tries to be somewhat politically correct. The stories focus on an apprentice of Benjamin Franklyn's, a freed slave named Moses, a French boy, and to make it fair and balanced, a British girl sympathetic to the Crown. There's a trend now when telling the story of the American revolution to tell try to also tell the view from the British sympathizers. That's all fine and dandy, but the idea of a British sympathizer cavorting around with Revolutionaries and not having a problem with them - - even helping them sometimes -- is far fetched (impossible actually). She also didn't seem disappointed at the end of the series when the British lost, either. There's no mention of God or Church -- also far fetched for 18th century New Englanders. But by the same token, at least they DON'T try to re-invent the Founding Fathers as a bunch of atheists or Deists as some historians are trying to. That's where you fill in the gaps and tell the kids the Founding Fathers were actually Christians. President Obama will be disappointed to see Muslims played no part in the founding of our country, which is 100% correct...the series got that part right too. No mention of Muslims discovering America, as some history revisionists are claiming (because they didn't), or how Muslim culture played a part in the development of our country as Mr. Obama claims (it didn't). So even though you might find one or two things glossed over in the series, at least they didn't go nuts! This show came out in 2002, back when it was still OK to be patriotic after 9-11. The series probably wouldn't stand a chance now, unless it aired on FOX News. One episode features a Jewish Founding Father which upset a John Bircher type reviewing the series on here...but tough, get over it, there were Jewish people in America too. There's no violence or bloodshed in the series, which some people might find odd when covering the Revolutionary War, but you can also show it to your 5 year old and not worry. You couldn't do that with Mel Gibosn's "Patriot" (although it also is a remarkable film, show to the kids when they're old enough). As far as kids liking it, I haven't seen one yet that didn't. The great thing about cartoons is kids can watch the same ones over and over and over until they've memorized every single line and they don't get tired of it, so it's a great way to get them to memorize events in U.S. history. I'd say, watch Liberty's Kids WITH your kids, explain what's happening, and quiz them on what's going on. It's certainly educational, but like all educational material it needs a facilitator.
1010 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 24, 2008
See? What did I tell ya? Patience is a virtue, and I'm absolutely willing to wait for October to get the ENTIRE series of Liberty's Kids for the far-more reasonable price of forty-four bucks!

As I've mentioned in the Teacher's Edition, this is the far better deal out there (seriously, what teacher can pay 500+ dollars for ONE show? Is PBS really that unaware of most teachers' ridiculously low salaries? I don't know . . . maybe they expect "the school" to buy it for their library or something -- but which school would pay that much cash for a six-disc DVD set?)

So . . . on with my review of the series:

I've loved this show since I first saw it back in early 2003. During AP US History, this show actually helped incite curiosity and understanding for the complex period that is the American Revolution. It's also the series that made me curious into looking into American History deeper, and reading up on the finer details of America's birth.

The timeline, which features events from the Boston Massacre to the ratification for the US Constitution, is actually quite accurate -- they merely paint into the story the fictional characters of James (the teenage American-patriot), Sarah (the unsure British-loyalist), and Henri (the younger French-sidekick) alongside the historical Founding Fathers.

First airing on PBS, the 40 half-hour episodes are actually quite close to being a half-hour long each (with no commercials originally intended, we get to enjoy more story, as well as fun trivia breaks in between the main story, hosted by James, Sarah, Henri, and even Dr. Franklin).

Among other things to enjoy are the theme song, "Through My Own Eyes," as well as the wide range of voice actors (the cast ranges from Walter Cronkite as Ben Franklin to Billy Crystal as John Adams, with Governor Schwartzenegger, Whoopi Goldberg, Aaron Carter and many more familar voices from Hollywood).

So, yes be sure to buy this series, you won't be dissapointed -- it's wonderfully smart, historically accurate, and great fun for the whole family and you'll be surprised to actually learn loads from it . . . again, just be sure to order THIS one -- the one with the better price. :)
1010 comments| 304 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2010
For the most part, the story writers got things right. Needless to say, they "forget" to mention that our founding fathers were God-fearing, and much of the dialog included deference to Deity.
1010 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2011
It really doesn't portray American History. It is too cartoony with lots of poetic license. I would have liked it to give children a great love for the sacrifices of our founding fathers which it did not.
77 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 19, 2013
If you are looking for a great show to help your kids learn about the American Revolution, this is it. It is engaging, entertaining and dramatic, but geared towards a younger audience. If they are younger than 10 (like my kids are), you should probably watch it with them to help them with some of the terminology and to help them understand historical context and the sequence of events. But even with that, my kids still love it, and I am learning details about that period that I didn't know before.

The reason for the three stars is that this particular DVD product is poorly done. There are 4 DVD discs all crammed inside a single DVD disc case. All four discs are stacked on top of each other and jammed onto one DVD slot. Hard to get out and hard to put back. Also, the description from Amazon.com under Editorial Reviews says "Also included are Benjamin Franklin’s Newsbytes, Continental Cartoons, Now and Then, Mystery Guest Game, original pencil tests, a 40-page booklet with a historical timeline, and a pullout poster with a United States map." Total fabrication - none of those are present. There is no insert in the DVD case at all, and the DVDs contain only the episodes WITHOUT the 'commercial' breaks (Newsbytes, Now and Then, etc.). Honestly, I don't really care about the booklet or timeline or map. But I am upset that the other cartoon bits are left out - they made a great break in the action, the defined a lot of words that appear in the episodes, and they provided good historical context for the events. It is the loss of a great part of this teaching tool, especially if you are getting these for younger children.
44 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2014
As far as I'm concerned, this did not cover enough of what really happened. My daughter is writing a report and I was going to order the whole series, but decided not to as it leaves so much what she needed to know for her report.
55 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 13, 2008
As a Homeschooling mom this is been a dream come true. It provides the informations in a fun fact filled way that kids really understand what our founding fathers and our people went through to become the United States of America.
I would recommend it for kids ages 4-101! I love watching it too.
To get the complete series in one set is great because watching the individual episodes online at KEWL cartoons is hard because they only offer 5 at a time and generally out of order.
We own a few of the DVD's which were hard to find and we watch them over and over. So, I'm really thrilled to get the complete set all at once and I'll use it in my lesson plans for our Homeschool co-op too.
I know no one who buys this will be disapointed except if your a History Major or professor and you'd only be disapointed that it didn't last longer into the Civil War and the War of 1812.
Maybe they'll carry on at a later date.
My 2 cents thanks for the read.
44 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 27, 2013
I have recently been reading books about the American Revolution (including Thomas Fleming's "Washington's Secret War" and "The Perils of Peace") and I was delighted to see the historical information presented so accurately in this animated series. I have been intrigued by this series since seeing a few episodes on TV several years ago, but I wondered whether it had a revisionist or politically correct bias.

Having just watched the series (gulping down multiple episodes at at time, often with my husband at my side), I was quite pleased with the overall historical accuracy. There are a few things which are not *quite* right... the show does not mention the animosity which John Adams felt for Benjamin Franklin (as peace negotiators in Europe), and fails to clearly portray Cornwallis' refusal to personally surrender to Washington at Yorktown. But time and again I found myself thrilled as events that I have enjoyed reading about were depicted in detail on the screen.

I was surprised- in a good way- at the lack of "dumbing down". Although some simplification was necessary, the plot lines are quite complex and some scenes include actual quotations from period documents. Some of this, I expect, would go over a younger child's head. And although death and suffering are shown with admirable delicacy for a show that depicts a war, there are a few parts that could be frightening for younger children- for example, the episode that explains the physical pain caused by tarring and feathering people.

Since the show was produced for children, there are "cartoonish" elements thrown in from time to time- such as when the main characters escape the British by rolling down a street in barrels. The two teenage characters bicker with each other frequently and display attitudes that are not always fit for role models. Parents may wish to take this into account and discuss these interactions with their children. The fictional "main characters" in this show do take a lot of screen time, but it's usually as a means of drawing the viewer into the historical events.

The show makes an attempt to portray how the American Revolution impacted multiple groups of people- especially the slaves living in America at the time, but it also gives a token nod to the Native Americans and the Jewish population. Multiple episodes dealt with the issue of slavery, and attempted to show how the Founding Fathers could both own slaves themselves *and* wish to end the practice of slavery. American patriots were shown in a fairly balanced way. They were depicted as sometimes noble and great, sometimes angry and rash, sometimes fighting for freedom, sometimes taking advantage of the war for their own profit. The infighting, arguing, and backstabbing that actually occurred in Congress was shown as well, although much of the overseas drama (between the American ambassadors, as well as European nations) was not dealt with much aside from some angry scenes involving Parliament and/or King George.

As an adult, I really enjoyed watching these years in American history unfold in sequence. It helped me see the big picture and it was interesting to watch so many of the events and characters I've read about come to life, even in animated form. I do recommend this show- for adults as well as children.