Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on June 30, 2017
Fascinating, well documented, and written for wide audiences. I plan to use this as part of a public writing class, as students in my other writing classes have found this topic fascinating in the past.
on April 16, 2014
This book gives fascinating insight into the past by reminding us that history is only as valid as the reporters and documentarians who keep accounts of it for us. We are doomed to repeat history if we don't know the truth about what happened and make changes to prevent future mistakes and injustices! I'll continue to love historic sites and monuments, but I'll do my own research and draw my own conclusions from now on, rather than following blindly what has been repeated with no validation.
on January 18, 2014
I've degrees in history and have been reading U.S. history for 50 years, but there was much that was new in this book, especially the degree to which neo-Confederate thinking dominates in Civil War plaques, particularly to the founder of the KKK Nathan Bedford Forrest.
on December 6, 2013
Another great addititon to my teacher library from James Loewen. If you enjoyed Lies My Teacher Told Me, you will enjoy Lies Across America. It is facinating how much misinformation is being presented across our country as fact. Loewen selects a number of "Historical" sites starting on the West coast and works East uncovering the lies that are being told about our past. A sure way to gather your own crowd when you go on vacation.
on March 16, 2017
As promised and quick delivery.
on December 13, 2015
This book does a great job of discussing some of monument and memorials in America that probably should be destroyed. I think it was a pretty thought provoking read. I had to read it for a Sociology class, but I definitely recommend it for anyone.
on October 12, 2015
Great book. Makes me really think about historical sites and how who erects and pays for monuments and markers influences what they say or how they say it. His other books are good too.
on June 21, 2017
Amazing read
on February 6, 2016
What I was looking for. Great information.
the theme of this book is that the historical markers scattered throughout the country are fundementaly wrong in more instances than not. He explains how the signs are influenced for the most part for civic groups who want to
clean up what in many cases are dirty little events which make the location look bad. Typical cases make white people right and minorities looking bad. Indians and confederate heroes have their stories such that the right group looks good, The book is a real eye opener.