Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7 reviews
on February 13, 2017
It's an OK book. There are other choices as well not mentioned and the information is basic. Granted the price makes up for it
on February 28, 2016
When you consider the cost of the book, it is very valuable. Unfortunately, when I bought the book I was hoping for more content and answers. That is not to say that what Jackie wrote isn't useful, but I think it just shows how grim the outlook is for those looking to get out of the ESL world. If you're looking to buy this book, just do it.
on January 24, 2016
Like some of the other reviewers, I was first turned off of this book based on a preconceived notion I had of the author from reading some of her more infamous blog postings. However, as the admin of a Facebook group for long term expats (many of which are in the ESL industry) looking to 'repatriate,' I decided to read the book and give as unbiased a review as possible.

So here's my verdict: This book should be the starting place for anyone thinking of going home after a stint abroad.

In the case of 'lifers,' that decide to return after a decade or more abroad, it often feels like you are alone. But you're not. Plenty of people have made the jump before you, so why does it feel like you're in completely uncharted waters? This book is the first that I've ever seen that is directly applicable to people in this demographic, and I think it is entirely appropriate that it revolves around a survey the author conducted of returnees.

The book is not perfect. Namely, it doesn't discuss the importance of 'future-proof' second career choices that will be anti-fragile in the face of technological developments like self-driving cars and the like (a critical consideration for those of us with families that depend on us), and I would have liked to have seen the raw results of the survey for myself. Still, it is the first and only book in this narrow, but much-needed niche.

Now I guess I need to go back and re-read the blog posts that had me so turned off initially. It's quite possible I mis-read or misinterpreted the author's intentions behind them. Regardless, this book will help a lot of people. Read it as early as possible in your career abroad.