Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 157 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 289 reviews
on June 17, 2014
Ok, lets see...her husband asks for a divorce. She learns he is cheating with (I won't spoil it) and it turns her life upside down. Her friends and family all pull together for her and she starts a new life, a life she wants....ok so I like the story so far. Here is my issue, many of her "new" friends are having affairs with married men and then she does and its ok. In fact, the author attempts to make it "romantic". All I could think during that portion of the story was wait, how is this different than what was done to you? Most real women would not find it ok. I definitely didn't approve of her relationship with a married man and was pretty much disgusted with the main character by the end. Anyone who has been betrayed by a lover/spouse....this book is just salt in your wound. Don't buy it...even for free. If you have not been hurt this way, the story is decent enough to buy discounted. I do not recommend paying full price.
on January 18, 2014
This is an easy read, good for a plane trip to somewhere about three hours away. The story line is odd, woman cheated on by husband, both her new lovers end up being married, she becomes the other woman and that seems to be ok in everyone's eyes, yet they all regard her ex as the devil incarnate for doing the same to her. Also a little strange reading about characters who seem to quaff champagne and in smoke every spare moment of their day. It's easy, it's predictable but you won't feel warmth to any of the characters or their predicaments, which is good as aside from Christine the author gives you no background on any of them.
on July 25, 2012
I bought Life After Forty because I had just read Chaperoned, which I loved. What a disappointment! It is hard to believe that both books were written by the same person.
Life After Forty seems to be an autobiographical lament of a divorced woman. It has no plot. There is absolutely nothing exciting or interesting happening in this book. It is filled with descriptions of the characters' nonstop smoking, drinking, partying, and hooking up with married men. It was so deadly boring that I kept skimming through the pages--after all, nothing was happening. I should have believed the reviews by those readers who gave it one or two stars. What a waste of time and money!
on July 6, 2014
I could file this under non-romance. The main character turns forty in the midst of the book, however, in the beginning, her husband calls her while she's on a business trip to break up with her. It's a complete shock to her, although, on reflection, she realizes their romance has rather died down. The story covers the following year, how she handles the situation and others that come up, the new friends, and new life she makes for herself.

This is an English translation of a German best seller. I'd say it's an excellent translation, since it reads smoothly. It does read more like a 1920s American book as there is a lot of cigarette smoking. This particular group of mostly 40-something young woman also drink a lot of wine. (I do think I'm rather glad I'm twice that age.)
on January 14, 2013
How would you react to your husband announcing by phone that your marriage is over? Christine, in her 39th year is dumped by Bernd, her husband of nearly twenty years. The story follows her reaction to the unexpected turn her life has taken and the support or otherwise from her friends. She moves from the lethargy of depression, through a number of stages, and the reader finds her story believeable and the heroine likeable. Certainly we can all relate to the feeling of accomplishment when the last Billy bookcase has been assembled!
The translation from German to English has been well done with the exception of the repeated grammatical error "sent Bernd and I", " invited Bernd and I". Perhaps the same type of flaw occurred in the original German, but surely someone trying to sell books has a clearer grasp of grammar. That minor quibble aside this is a refreshing read.

mlr
on September 3, 2016
It would be nice if every person going through a divorce had a support team of eight friends and relatives, and enough money to buy whatever she wanted and go where she wanted. It's just not realistic. A nice fantasy story.
on May 26, 2014
I really thought I would enjoy this book, having gone through a similar life change at the same time...but Christine is to whiney for me. She has great friends who rally around her, although they have a total double standard. Christine's husband has been cheating on her and asks for a divorce they are all expectedly outraged. But when Christine is the other woman, they are all fine with it, she should do what makes her feel good.

The book takes place over the course of a year, but it also jumps forward and backward in time with stories of events, but it's all very clumsy. Maybe the translation, maybe just poor writing.
on January 26, 2013
I enjoyed this book. The pace of it is a little different, but that didn't detract from enjoying it. The story line is interesting, as well as the characters. I did have a little trouble keeping the characters straight, but it doesn't really matter as far as following the story. Recommend.
on July 22, 2014
Disgusting. Don't know why I bothered to read the whole thing. Just a bunch of 40'ers encouraging each other into sexual relationships, falling "in love" but not committed.
on June 1, 2013
I kept expecting it to get better even up until the very end when it ended abruptly and I thought "that's it??". Much of the time it felt like a pre-teen novel, glossing over any deeply insightful moments and depicting her post divorce escapades as a giddy school girl might. I also found it extremely predictable throughout. Overall the writing, plot and ideas were frustratingly simple...again making me feel like it was for pre-teens rather than grown women. Glad I only paid $2.99.