Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Like a lot of readers my interest in Near Death Experiences is fueled in part by the loss of a close family member.

I read this book based on Raymond Moody's reputation stretching back to the original book from 1975.

This book is not written from a personal perspective but rather the research of more than one hundred cases where people died and came back to life.

It's a fast read and well organized. The author covers a lot of ground in a short number of pages. Dr. Moody examines the similarities and also documents that no two experiences are identical. There is no bias or angle to "Life After Life."

This book would be a very good choice for readers looking to start reading on NDEs.
on September 15, 2013
I truley believe the author had this encounter, it is well written and documented. As an educated brain surgeon I think he is well qualified to be able to distinguish between drug induced fantasies and acctual happenings. I and I know a few people that have had dreams that are so vivid that You tend to think they are real the problem is that these dreams are usualy disjointed and don't flow together like reality does. in the authors account everything flows together just as a person would experience any happening in real life. Of course I understand that a person could take any dream and write it down so that everything flows together, but the author puts everthing into perspective and with his credentials its hard to deny His experience.
Harold
on December 2, 2016
A peaceful book suggesting what may be "Beyond" this life. Surprising number of people from VERY varied backgrounds sharing VERY similar experiences! Together with "Light Beyond" these books have eased my mind concerning where I might be headed!
on June 2, 2005
I really enjoyed this book, the ground breaker for Near Death Experiences by Raymond Moody. It definitely is more in depth than most of the televisions shows I've seen on this subject over the years.

The book naturally goes into the phenomenon and experiences themselves with its various similarities. The out of body, bright light, the review, the noise, the dark tunnel, meeting others, the being of light and its affect on them.

What I really enjoyed was the parallels of the Bible, Plato, the Tibetan Book of the Dead and Emanuel Swedenborg, so he enters into some of the spiritual and philosophical models that have profound teachings. All four, the Bible more the exception, relay life after death. Plato believed as the Tibetan Book of the Dead, in that the death of the body would release the consciousness or higher mind into a clearer more lucid understanding without the bodies or ego's conceptual grid and conceptions.

A short comparison is given with NDE's with the various explanations; the supernatural, the scientific (physiological and neurological, the psychological of isolation, dreams hallucinations and delusions) explanations, neurological. It was found that no drug used has achieved the same common affects and attributes of the NDE, but that only near death or at death do this occur.

A great sequel with much more information that continues here is Melvin Morse's Book, "Closer to the Light," written around 10 years later where Morse attempts to achieve by experiments what Moody has set forth.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Even at a point in my life where I was quasi religious (life after Atheism), I still never believed that consciousness could exist without brain function despite some of the people I've met in this life who are to some extent living examples of this phenomenon.

Nonetheless, I've always tried to have an open mind and question everything; I feel this book made a convincing and compelling case for the possibility of a non-materialist take on consciousness, and more than any other single catalyst, prompted me to continue exploring near death experiences and other phenomena. I don't believe in "proofs" but rather "evidence" and "theories." I don't think it was the author's intention to prove anything, but rather to show the peculiar patterns among those people he interviewed. I really liked his non-partisan, matter-of-fact approach; he would make no personal judgments or conjectures as if there was a political or religious agenda behind the project. Instead, he would methodically log and categorize the commonality of experiences.

I regularly send this book to those friends and family who are in grieving. My hope is that it might give them a perspective that brings some comfort and hope in a world obsessed by the "neuro-biological materialism" that seemed to brainwash us in the 1960s. I still have my former Holy Grail on my bookshelf -- B.F. Skinner's Beyond Freedom & Dignity. I can't really say how Life After Life is truly received by my friends and family. Maybe they think I'm a nut. There was a time in my life where I would have probably scoffed at the mere mention of "life after death" -- the great oxymoron. In any event, I can only hope that the book has had some impact on their lives. I'm sure it's pretty clear that I highly recommend this book. It was one of the most important reads of my life, no pun intended.
10 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2013
Although Life After Life is considered a very good book by a lot of people, I have to say that for me, it wasn't what I was looking for. I think this book is geared mostly for science type people. If you're not a believer of life after life then this the book for you because it tells you the facts. I was hoping for more of an entire account of someone's experience not little bits and pieces of facts from a lot of people. I hope that makes sense.
2 people found this helpful
on July 27, 2014
This is a very good book that discusses the basics of the proofs that a life after death does exist. It is very easy to read and easy to understand. If you are wondering about this topic you should get this book. Plain, Simple & Easy to understand that will leave you will a greater faith of an afterlife, actually even a little more than faith, some evidence.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 9, 2011
This work by Raymond A Moody is approximately 40 years old in 2011. It was ground breaking at the time and to this day remains so. I have owned several copies of this great work. I loaned copies out several times, sadly never were they returned. My interest in this stems from the fact that I suffer from hypertension and sleep apnea. Both of these health conditions led to my experiencing near death and out of body experiences. I thought I was losing my mind until I read Raymond Moody's book "Life after Life". I have been investigating the phenomina for 40 years and haven't found a more accurate book on the topic anywhere, period. I know human personality survives death. I know there is reincarnation of human personality. This flies in the face of modern Christianity. It was not until I studied the life of Christ, I understood that reincarnation was taught and understood by early Christians and Jesus Christ. Reincarnation as a topic of theology was taken out of the cannodical Bible in the Sixth Century for many reasons, chief among them was the desire of the businessmen of the church to control adherents. Wealth was easier to extract from people who were taught only the permission of emmisaries of Christ could relieve sin upon physical death. Jesus said in several places in the New Testament, "You must be born again." That is the only vestage of the original teaching which survives. Though this has nothing to do with the subjects covered in "Life After Life", it may help you understand that survival of human personality is a FACT long known but suppresed. I am not interested in a religious philosophy, but several of them say the same thing; particularly Hinduism. I am interested in convincing you, who may be facing death in the immediate future, there is nothing to fear. Death is as natural a transition as infancy to pubescence and pubesence to middle age, and middle age to geriatric age. If you need guidance to other sources, view "What the Bleep Do We Know" (Amazon and Netflix), "What the Bleep Do We Know, Down The Rabbit Hole" (Amazon and Netflix). I wish you well as our lives unfold into the great unknown which will one day be known by our Science if we fix our minds on being open mindes.
5 people found this helpful
on June 5, 2014
Excellent science based investigation into the afterllife written by a somewhat skeptical doctor. Even my husband who is a skeptic and my 85 yr. old mother-in-law, who is a Catholic love this book. Definitely worth reading. Unfortunately, Moody went on to write a bunch of other books that were too far out, that we couldn't relate to.
|0Comment|Report abuse
As a culture we have gone from a denial of death to a fascination with the after-life. What truly happens when we die? If you have just started reading about near-death experiences then "Life After Life" is a good place to start.

This book describes everything from being declared dead to seeing a "being of light" that guides then through a life review. For the most part this is a well-organized book that has some interesting stories told by people who were changed by their experience with death.

Before reading this book I didn't know that some people heard music or other sounds as they died. Other than that I'd heard about most of the steps people go through when they die. Floating above the body seems very common and seeing relatives is also expected. Then there are a few unique experiences. For example, after their experience some people develop psychic powers and are able to read people's thoughts.

I recently read Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received which is a very exciting book that describes heaven. While "Life After Life" is still compelling it lacks descriptions of heaven or hell. For descriptions of hell you may want to read To Hell and Back: Life After Death Startling New Evidence.

~The Rebecca Review