Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning movienight movienight movienight  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 291 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 397 reviews
on March 22, 2015
First published in the late 1970s, I believe this book is still the best introduction to the phenomenon known as the "Near Death Experience" (NDE). Whether you're a believer, skeptic, agnostic, atheist, Christian, Buddhist, Jew, Wicca--makes no difference, since the experience has been documented to happen to anyone regardless of their cultural influences or upbringing. If you have heard the phrase "near death experience" but have only a vague notion of what this entails, I urge you to pick up this book and read it--if you keep an open mind, it could change your life :)

Simply put, the NDE may give us a preview of what happens to humans when we die. I first read this book around 1985 and found it both fascinating and enlightening. It is very straightforward and even-handed in it's reporting--without religious overtones from the author, although he does draw correlations between NDE's and their possible appearance in texts such as the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Bible & Greek philosophy. At the time of publication, Dr. Moody had only investigated about 150 cases total--since then, as the technology to resuscitate patients has improved, thousands more have experienced the NDE. The book also created an open dialogue about NDE's and many more who had kept the experience secret (for fear of being ridiculed) have come forward with their story.

If this book whet's your appetite for more on the subject (and much has been written about NDE's since) let me recommend a few more titles for continued reading:

The Light Beyond by Raymond Moody -- in my opinion, the best of his follow-up books on the subject.
On Life After Death by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, M.D. -- One of the pioneers of NDE research & best known for defining "The 5 Stages of Grief & Dying." She & Moody were both studying NDE's at the same time without being aware of each other's research.
The Tunnel and The Light by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, M.D. - Another collection of her writings & lectures on the subject of NDE's.

Although there are many more books on the subject (some by researchers, others by those who experienced an NDE firsthand) I always recommend these first as they are well-researched and, in my opinion, present the subject with the least amount of bias.
on August 21, 2016
This book isn't proof of the after life. And I don't think that was Raymond Moody's intent was to offer irrefutable evidence of life after life, but for anyone who wants to hear stories from people who've had interesting experiences near death, they're told well in this book. As depressing as a book about death might seem, this book left me feeling positive and reignited my curiosity about the nature of our lives here. Maybe there is a life after life...

But I found it strange that everyone's personal experience was so pleasant. Seems like Raymond Moody is just telling us what we want to hear. 'Now now there's no need to worry.. Death isn't so bad" is almost what it feels like. I know I've heard about death experiences that weren't so pleasant. Why did Raymond Moody exclude the more negative experience?

Non the less, still a heartwarming and interesting book to read.
on March 21, 2016
This book helped me heal after my mothers death December 1st. I was a wreck with grief for 2 1/2 months. I had that 1% doubt in my mind that maybe, just maybe, there wasn't a Heaven after all. I started drinking (every day)! I was a mess!
I read this in two days, and was "healed"! I felt so much better after reading it, that I gave it to someone else to read who was also grieving her fathers death.
on January 13, 2016
I do not recommend purchasing this book if your loved one committed suicide! The book is very inspiring! I was so happy to get up everyday and read it until I got near the end and it started talking about people trying to take their lives and coming back telling horrid stories of damnation!!!!!

Dr. Moody you might want to write another after thought about the dark part of your book. It may be a great deterient for people continplating suicide; but for a father that just lost his son on October 12, 2015 it is absolutely devastating!!!!!

My son did not believe in God as far as what he told me. I can only hope and pray that he had some believe in his heart for God and that he asked for forgiveness before he took his life!!!!

The only thing that keeps me going in this world Is the thought that I will see him again. He was only 21 years old! I miss and love him so very much!!!!

Jesus died for our sins! And I pray everyday that he will forgive my son's!!!! My son was such a caring loving boy. He gave his boots to a homeless man and his jacket to another. He had done many things like that in his life! I Love You So Much Mikey!!!!!!

I give this book 3 stars only because it made me feel that there was no hope for my son. After talking to pastors and other things that have been happening that I feel are signs, I believe my son is with the Lord!!!!

Please consider writing another after passage in your book about this Dr. Moody!!!!!

Semper Fi!!!!
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2016
Great book with historic value. The interviewees have to search for words because the terms NDE, white light, life review, etc. were not in the lexicon of contemporary culture at that time. I can't believe I took so long to read it, having had an NDE myself in 1982. If I'd seen this book sooner and brought myself to read it (despite my fear of being labelled a kook), I might have sought out IANDS sooner...
on February 28, 2017
Very interesting read... I stand strongly on Christian beliefs but recently started working as a care giver to elderly. I became more interested in actual testimonies of people who have had NDE and was curious how they lined up with what the bible says. As far as service...I got the book sooner than expected and in good condition. Thank you!
on July 17, 2013
Dr. Moody gives the world a great gift in this book... the promise of immortality in the arms of God. Without ever reaching for a conclusion himself (he's a philosopher as well as a medical doctor, and is not one to jump to inferences) Dr. Moody guides the reader through the elements of Near Death Experiences shared, to one degree or another, by everyone who has had one. Yet one, unmistakable conclusion haunts the reader throughout: there no satisfying way to explain the experiences of an NDE than that there most surely is life after life. A brilliant and essential read for the bereaved, or anyone facing their own imminent death or the loss of a loved one. Or anyone looking for answers to some of life's bigger questions. In a calm and assured voice that makes this work truly accessible (my 13 year old devoured this book in one sitting), Dr. Moody skillfully unwinds the threads of NDEs and examines them, one aspect at a time. The end result is a rich and eloquent reporting of the facts as they've been recounted to him, time and time again, by the experiencers. His refusal to answer the underlying big question, preferring to leave that to the reader, is the true art of this timeless book. I hope, like the NDEers he writes about, every reader finds peace and a new sense of purpose in the only natural conclusion: There is a God, and God is love.
on March 25, 2017
The author has compiled testimony on apparent after death experiences and has offered various explanations for what reportedly happened to those testifying.
on January 14, 2015
For those interested in the fascinating phenomena of Near Death Experiences, this is your first port of call. All subsequent research and debate came as a result of this ground breaking book. A fantastic read and a book that is read every couple of years.
on March 22, 2017
My husband had this book a long time ago - wanted to re-read it but couldn't find it. So I ordered another copy for him and he's happy.