Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 299 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 407 reviews
on March 22, 2015
First published in the late 1970s, I believe this book is still the best introduction to the phenomenon known as the "Near Death Experience" (NDE). Whether you're a believer, skeptic, agnostic, atheist, Christian, Buddhist, Jew, Wicca--makes no difference, since the experience has been documented to happen to anyone regardless of their cultural influences or upbringing. If you have heard the phrase "near death experience" but have only a vague notion of what this entails, I urge you to pick up this book and read it--if you keep an open mind, it could change your life :)

Simply put, the NDE may give us a preview of what happens to humans when we die. I first read this book around 1985 and found it both fascinating and enlightening. It is very straightforward and even-handed in it's reporting--without religious overtones from the author, although he does draw correlations between NDE's and their possible appearance in texts such as the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Bible & Greek philosophy. At the time of publication, Dr. Moody had only investigated about 150 cases total--since then, as the technology to resuscitate patients has improved, thousands more have experienced the NDE. The book also created an open dialogue about NDE's and many more who had kept the experience secret (for fear of being ridiculed) have come forward with their story.

If this book whet's your appetite for more on the subject (and much has been written about NDE's since) let me recommend a few more titles for continued reading:

The Light Beyond by Raymond Moody -- in my opinion, the best of his follow-up books on the subject.
On Life After Death by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, M.D. -- One of the pioneers of NDE research & best known for defining "The 5 Stages of Grief & Dying." She & Moody were both studying NDE's at the same time without being aware of each other's research.
The Tunnel and The Light by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, M.D. - Another collection of her writings & lectures on the subject of NDE's.

Although there are many more books on the subject (some by researchers, others by those who experienced an NDE firsthand) I always recommend these first as they are well-researched and, in my opinion, present the subject with the least amount of bias.
on March 21, 2016
This book helped me heal after my mothers death December 1st. I was a wreck with grief for 2 1/2 months. I had that 1% doubt in my mind that maybe, just maybe, there wasn't a Heaven after all. I started drinking (every day)! I was a mess!
I read this in two days, and was "healed"! I felt so much better after reading it, that I gave it to someone else to read who was also grieving her fathers death.
on September 10, 2016
Great book with historic value. The interviewees have to search for words because the terms NDE, white light, life review, etc. were not in the lexicon of contemporary culture at that time. I can't believe I took so long to read it, having had an NDE myself in 1982. If I'd seen this book sooner and brought myself to read it (despite my fear of being labelled a kook), I might have sought out IANDS sooner...
on January 13, 2016
I do not recommend purchasing this book if your loved one committed suicide! The book is very inspiring! I was so happy to get up everyday and read it until I got near the end and it started talking about people trying to take their lives and coming back telling horrid stories of damnation!!!!!

Dr. Moody you might want to write another after thought about the dark part of your book. It may be a great deterient for people continplating suicide; but for a father that just lost his son on October 12, 2015 it is absolutely devastating!!!!!

My son did not believe in God as far as what he told me. I can only hope and pray that he had some believe in his heart for God and that he asked for forgiveness before he took his life!!!!

The only thing that keeps me going in this world Is the thought that I will see him again. He was only 21 years old! I miss and love him so very much!!!!

Jesus died for our sins! And I pray everyday that he will forgive my son's!!!! My son was such a caring loving boy. He gave his boots to a homeless man and his jacket to another. He had done many things like that in his life! I Love You So Much Mikey!!!!!!

I give this book 3 stars only because it made me feel that there was no hope for my son. After talking to pastors and other things that have been happening that I feel are signs, I believe my son is with the Lord!!!!

Please consider writing another after passage in your book about this Dr. Moody!!!!!

Semper Fi!!!!
1414 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2017
Very interesting read... I stand strongly on Christian beliefs but recently started working as a care giver to elderly. I became more interested in actual testimonies of people who have had NDE and was curious how they lined up with what the bible says. As far as service...I got the book sooner than expected and in good condition. Thank you!
on August 21, 2016
This book isn't proof of the after life. And I don't think that was Raymond Moody's intent was to offer irrefutable evidence of life after life, but for anyone who wants to hear stories from people who've had interesting experiences near death, they're told well in this book. As depressing as a book about death might seem, this book left me feeling positive and reignited my curiosity about the nature of our lives here. Maybe there is a life after life...

But I found it strange that everyone's personal experience was so pleasant. Seems like Raymond Moody is just telling us what we want to hear. 'Now now there's no need to worry.. Death isn't so bad" is almost what it feels like. I know I've heard about death experiences that weren't so pleasant. Why did Raymond Moody exclude the more negative experience?

Non the less, still a heartwarming and interesting book to read.
on March 29, 2017
This is a great old classic on this genre of NDE's. I usually give this to my nonbelieving grieving friends. It is a great "beginner" (milk) opener to those without faith. Let's face it--losing a loved one without hope of a better place and without the possibility of seeing them again is just too hard for people who love.
on November 26, 2016
I would have much preferred to see more personal stories and a lot less analyzing and interpretation.
on September 28, 2013
Like a lot of readers my interest in Near Death Experiences is fueled in part by the loss of a close family member.

I read this book based on Raymond Moody's reputation stretching back to the original book from 1975.

This book is not written from a personal perspective but rather the research of more than one hundred cases where people died and came back to life.

It's a fast read and well organized. The author covers a lot of ground in a short number of pages. Dr. Moody examines the similarities and also documents that no two experiences are identical. There is no bias or angle to "Life After Life."

This book would be a very good choice for readers looking to start reading on NDEs.
on May 9, 2017
Having lost my wife to cancer several months ago, this book was most assuring as I now feel that she is happy in heaven. Many of the stories given by NDE'ers convinced me that she was welcomed into heaven by Christ and her relatives. Thank you Raymond Moody.