|Print List Price:||$18.00|
Save $6.01 (33%)
Hachette Book Group
Price set by seller.
Life After Life: A Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
I think we all feel that way to a certain extent. We look back with regret on wasted time, or bad decisions, or tragedies that would have been avoided if only one small detail had been changed.
But here's the thing. Life is linear. Maybe if you believe in reincarnation, you might find some type of sense in Kate Atkinson's writing here, but honestly, my biggest question about this book was, "Why am I so constantly annoyed?"
I realized that when I read, I want to see continuity. I want to connect with characters that evolve realistically. I want them to MATTER. I want to see how things turn out. I want to know who is who. With this story line, nothing like that mattered. "Oh, it'll all change anyway," was my continual thought. Why should I care that Nancy was murdered? Why should I care that Teddy died? Or Ursula, or Pamela, for that matter? While there were parts that were far more interesting than others, the plot lines were never allowed to fully bloom. The one constant seemed to be the parents_ Hugh's unconditional love; and Sylvie's contempt for Ursula, no matter what "life" she was in.
I felt this book was exhausting, needlessly long (the endless parenthetical editorializing was another annoyance - yes, I did that on purpose), impossible to feel empathy toward just about any of the characters (Hugh and Teddy were the exceptions), and confusing. I got tired of starting a "new life story", and then seeing names, saying, "wait, who's that?" And sometimes I totally forgot who someone was from a previous "life." Once I thought, Izzie? Where have I heard that name? Now who is Izzie again? I wasn't engaged enough to care.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > British & Irish > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Military
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense