Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,274 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,611 reviews
on December 18, 2015
Words of Jesus are not in red. Print is so small even with readers it was difficult.
Returned same day I received it.
review image
on August 2, 2015
This is the best Bible you can buy. Because it is the NIV it is very easy to read and understand. Additionally, it has 1) a verse-by-verse commentary (notes) for every chapter, 2) a time line of world and Bible events, 3) an overview and 4) an outline of each book, 5) information about the purpose and 6) the author of the book, 7) when it was written, 8) for whom it was written and 9) why, as well as key 10) people and 11) verses, and 12) the setting and 13) places where the book takes place. 14) There are full-length profiles of key people in the Bible, 15) lots of maps both, full-color and black and white, many with explanations, and 16) some books have a page called, for example, "Key Places in Matthew," which gives an overview of the book and a large map showing locations of the events that occur in that book. 17) There are many indexes, one a concordance and another is an index to the notes. 18) It has over 23,000 cross references to provide in-dept reading about a verse. 19) There are many "charts" all of which are indexed. These are inserts within the chapters that have VERY interesting information related to the subject of the chapter or book. 20) The application aspect relates in the notes how verses apply to our daily lives. This version of the NIV Life Application Study Bible comes in soft, black leather and has tabs called indexes to help locate books. The pages are gilded in silver so it is a beautiful Bible. The one drawback is that the pages are tissue-paper thin. I bought this Bible as a gift for a friend and he loves it and shows it to all of his friends.
on June 29, 2015
I have the excellent hard copy version of this book and bought the Kindle version to have a more compact version to facilitate use during travel. (the hard copy version is big and heavy)

My rating of 3 stars is a mix of 5 stars for excellent content combined with a very low score for navigation. I would have expected that it would be possible to easily move between the basic Bible text and the excellent study notes. Instead of being a simple switch back and forth, I must do a cumbersome process which is too complicated to explain.

PROs: Excellent study notes to describe the Bible text

CONs: Cumbersome navigation between Bible text and study notes

UPDATE: Accidentally during church service (perhaps with help from above {:-) ) I figured out how to navigate between the main bible content and the excellent footnotes. It turns out that you can easily jump between the two by clicking on the verse numbers which are underlined. Accordingly, I have upgraded the score from 3 to 4 and RECOMMEND this kindle version of the book
on September 5, 2015
This is a Bible I would not trade for any other.
There are so many good things about Tyndale's "Life Application Study Bible" (LASB) that I'm not sure where to start.

The negative is short and quick:it interprets far too many events in the OT as announcing Christ, e.g., the burning bush was not Christ, but God himself; it has small prints that could seem difficult to read without my glasses.

But that's nothing compared with what you get: a concise book, events, and personality profiles that are unmatched in current Bible publishing.
The goal of the LASB is to relate the Bible to our lives today, and not the way we lived 400 or even 2000 years ago; in other words, LASB's goal is to make the Bible directly relevant to its reader. It certainly succeeds.

The best feature for me is its one-column text format, giving the reader full verses.
The poetry of the Psalms and within the prophetic books is retained and in metered format to distinguish it from prose and didactic sections. Loaded with footnotes explaining not only the what, where, who, but the why.
The editors tell you WHO James is, and who his brother is, and give you hints to distinguish him from other Jameses.

Each book is set up with an introduction, along with a "blueprint" model that gives the major themes of the book; a separate "megathemes" section lays out the thematic significance of the book with explanation; and finally a "vital statistics" section that gives a bird's eye view of the book's setting, key people, purpose, etc. The maps in the back are quite good, too.

If there were a contest for the best study Bible, this Bible will win the contest in the "Personality Profiles" category. They have quite a detailed description of all the key people you'll meet in the Bible - they often cover about 2/3 of a page!!

The Bible contains a Harmony of the Gospels, something I find really helpful. It numbers each event in the Gospels, and before the section in the text, it gives this number and then gives the passages in the other gospels that tell the same story. I found the number to be really helpful.

I also found the 'Christian workers resource' section very helpful. The concordance isn't so detailed though. The study notes are well detailed so much that a new believer can actually find it very helpful in sharing and explaining the Scriptures to others.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea! This study Bible is the best I have had in years, and might remain so until I find another that passes it.

I highly recommend it for any one who is looking for a good study Bible to buy.
on October 3, 2015
I love this Bible (I've had one just like it for years, but I wanted a pink one). I am sad however that there must have been a revision done since I got the last one because some of the life application commentary (which I highlighted in my old Bible) had been removed from this newer version. I am also a little concerned that the binding on the corners may separate from the Bible in time. Also, near the spine, I noticed the binding starting to crease after just a few days. It's a 'lay flat' Bible so it's not from having to force it to lay open. My old Bible (regular bonded leather...12 years old) doesn't have this issue. I would buy this Bible again, because it really is great at helping with 'life application'. I'm just a little disappointed in the overall structure. Would probably spend extra to just have my old one re-bound next time.
review image review image
on January 16, 2016
What do I praise most? The translation or the harmony of the Gospels? Or the beautiful high resolution maps? Or the list of parables by Jesus or the list of His miracles? Or the stories and contributions strengths and weaknesses of the persons in the Bible? Or that all Christ's Words are in red? Or the History of the Books? Or the loving care that enables you to touch on any Book heading to go back to the Book table of contents? Or the cross referencing? A summary of examples we can use in our life like the patience of Job beautifully summarised? Or the dictionary/concordance. And the list of this 'priceless' adventure and experience into Bible life, history and study as if one is living at the time and being there when everything happened and witnessing it first hand and assessing each situation and how one can learn from it and apply it in our daily lives!!!!!!!!! This Study Bible is 'gift to humanity'. It spreads the pure message of love for all and is universal. It's an 'outright crime' that for all the perseveringly and painstaking work that is evident here I paid something like I think aroun $12 for a Book, a life guide, a light in dark times that is 'priceless'. This Book is a priceless pearl a diamond in the crown of God Almighty serving humanitys urgent need to become virtuous or face a possible world war. There is no way to thank the authors, interpreters, anyone associated with this excellent work. Only God can and will reward you. With universal works like these all united I see a humanity in the not too distant future which is united and harmoniously working together.God Bless
on February 16, 2015
This Bible is about perfect. The study notes are a good blend of life application (as the title states) and study commentary to help readers understand the passages and the historical background. The notes make it a great Bible for studying. It also contains maps and highlights important people so you can better understand the personalities involved. The format is one column per page for the actual text of the Bible and the font is very easy to read. The notes at the bottom of each page are in two columns and smaller font. There are also tiny references in the margins for related verses elsewhere in the Bible, and footnotes giving alternative translations which are both very helpful when studying. In short, don't be misled by the title, Life Application Bible. This is truly a study Bible--one of the best!
The cover on the one I bought was imitation leather, but it has a nice feel--a little softer and thicker than most leather covers. I expect it will be durable and is very comfortable to hold. It looks great, too.
on January 27, 2012
The Life Application Bible comes in a lot of different flavors (e.g. translations, sizes, prints, bindings, etc.), but the Zondervan version is best because they use Italian Duo-Tone simulation leather (or Genuine European Leather depending on the Bible type), rather than less quality imitation/synthetic "leather" of the competitors. And there IS a big difference in the durability of Duo-Tone versus other imitations. The look and feel are similar, but the quality difference is best demonstrated after repeated use.

This particular version is particularly good because the NIV translation ranks a very close second to the HCSB translation, in my opinion. The NIV is one of the best out there and has stood the test of time, whereas the HCSB is newer. I would LOVE if Zondervan made an HCSB leather-bound Life Application Study Bible, but until then, this NIV translation LASB is just beautiful.

Reviewer Note: On 10/1/13 I learned that I was mistaken regarding the Italian Duo-Tone "leather" Zondervan uses. It is an imitation leather, not real leather, hence the edit of this review. I apologize and did not mean to mislead. I do own Zondervan Bibles that are made of genuine "top-grain" or "European" leather, but this particular Bible - and all others made with Italian Duo-Tone - is not genuine leather. From Zondervan's website FAQ: "Our Italian Duo-Tone(tm) bindings are made from a soft, supple, two-tone simulated leather. There is no real leather used in this binding."
on April 25, 2016
I have both the hard bound and the Kindle versions and am very happy with both. I would give the hardbound version a 5 and the Kindle version a 4. I have two minor problems with the Kindle. Maybe with more experience I may find that neither problem really exist. The kindle version is a little difficult to learn to navigate in. If I jump from one place in the bible to another I have to go back to the index, open the book I was in and navigate to the chapter and verse that I just left. It would really be nice to be able to just jump right back to your original place. Also when I am reading the paper version I like to underline certain passages and make notes in the margin. Like I said maybe you can do both of those things but so far I have not been able to find out how.
on October 28, 2015
One of the best versions I've ever had. I was requested to get it for a particular coarse in school. I'm certainly glad I got it.
review image