Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 710 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,070 reviews
on April 30, 2017
Meh. This was actually boring. I didn't enjoy it as much as Planet Earth, and I really didn't care for Oprah's narration. I felt as if she were reading a script rather than "teaching" about the planet.
on April 23, 2017
I purchased this item twice and when I go to play it (on 2 different devices, nothing plays. I meant to return it but it was too late qnd I figured it was a fluke so I ordered again with the same problem.
on May 11, 2015
I had read about how visually stunning this series (in HD blu-ray) was but I was unprepared for the actual experience. Prepare to be amazed! Filmed in high definition, you get to see some of the most startling and gripping nature film ever created. It is likely that even those who live close to these events never saw them with this much close-up detail. This is what HDTV Blu-ray was invented for. Well worth the price for the experience. Highly recommended!
on April 22, 2017
The camerawork is very good, but there is less sustained footage of a single situation than in BBC nature documentaries. Also, I don't like Oprah Winfrey's narration. It's stiff and lacks the feeling of commitment to the material that comes with a real scientist like David Attenborough.
on January 18, 2014
This 4-disc series on the broad subject of "Life" is one more beautiful nature documentary in the BBC's long line of wonderful documentaries. Their photographers have achieved yet another great "tour de force" in filming a sampling of nearly all life forms on the planet (except microbes), often at great risk to their own lives. They traveled to all corners of the Earth to produce these natural histories, and the photography is as creative as it is stunning. Scenes are short, one each on a given species, or pair of species (hunters and the hunted, or symbiotic relationships) - mostly about animals, but one episode on plant life. The treatments are not the slightest bit academic. They cover the basics without going into scientific technicalities or terminology.

There are two different versions of "Life", one narrated by David Attenborough and the other by Oprah Winfrey. Supposedly, the episodes are otherwise the same for both versions. I opted for the Winfrey version, as it was much less expensive. Indeed, Oprah's narrations are very different from those of David's, and for that matter, most other narrators of nature films, something which may take a bit of time to get used to. Her intonations are more - shall we say - theatrical, as one would expect from a professional, broadcast journalist. No humdrum monotones for Oprah. However, this is not to say they are inferior in any way, as some reviewers have suggested.

"Life" is intended not just for adults. These short scenes and episodes would also be ideal for children (or adults with short attention spans) as well, and a great way to inspire young people to consider a career in biology. The episodes are also perfect for classroom use. I have to believe that this was one of the reasons why the BBC produced the series. Indeed, Oprah's readings may very well be more appreciated by children.

When I was growing up, TV and radio ads were performed only by men, for at the time, women weren't considered believable or trustworthy (or whatever). Today, women's voices are heard equally as often, if not more so. So, one more vote for Oprah.

The only thing that I find missing in this series, is at least a mention of life itself. That is, what is life? After all, that's the title of the documentary. One would think that the BBC could have made at least a couple passing comments about the nature of life in general. But then again, doing so would have been "academic", "philosophical" or offensive to some religious beliefs.
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2012
LIfe is a wonderful show depicting life in many forms, mammals, insects, birds, reptiles and amphibians as well as subjects as creatures of the deep without backbones and predator and prey. This series not only taught me about life around the planet but also some extraordinary animals and plants I barely knew anything about. The photography is stunning and in bluray was brilliant. The narration by David Attenborough was clear and easily understood. I did have to wonder at times as I heard the British pronunciation of some words but it didn't prevent my comprehension, it broadened my knowledge of how we differ, just another part of life! I really enjoyed the series and learned a lot. My memories of chimps, Komodo Dragons and water buffalos are still with me. After each episode, a 10 minute short explains how the most difficult sequences were filmed. A very valuable exercise which made me wish I was there to do it too. Great series.
on October 2, 2015
Probably should post in the DESCRIPTION or PRODUCT DETAILS that it does not play on US dvd players, NOT in Editorial Reviews. When I check on the details of a product I buy, especially when it's a show I have seen already and know what I think of the show content, I have no reason to look at Editorial Reviews, but I did look in the areas of the Amazon page that describe the package.
on March 10, 2016
This does not play in my SONY 3D BluRay Player, it is regionally playable on certain UK bluray devices. US buyers need to buy the Oprah W. edition unless you have an Open Region Blu Ray player. This documentary series can be found on Netflix in the USA. (Save some money) Well put together piece but does get repetitive when covering certain animals (over and over again)
on December 24, 2014
If you love watching animals in their natural habitat, and desire to see animal phenomenon never before captured on film, there is nothing better than this. (Though I personally prefer the David Attenborough narration, but Oprah does a good job too.) The imagery and kinetics caught on film are beyond stunning. And in super high-definition, you will be blown away by the details you never noticed in frogs before. Whenever friends come over, I put this on as a back-drop to our conversations. No one can resist the dancing of dolphins, Komodo Dragons defending their eggs, or predators chasing their prey in slow motion. The only compilation that vaguely compares to "Life" is "planet earth"; but I still prefer the dynamic story telling of "Life" more.
on June 21, 2016
If you own a Bluray player, you should own Life. From the makers of Planet Earth, this is similar in style and format, but the minutiae of life is really what makes this series beautifully done. Small moments, things literally never seen before on film, are captured for future generations in premium high def for those generations who will not be as lucky to experience them in the natural world. The narration by David Attenborough (the best narrator of wildlife documentaries bar none) is insightful and informative without being dull, and the camera work is just amazing. This series is what the high-definition world was made for. An excellent investment, and a remarkable accomplishment.