Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Ritter Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 710 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,073 reviews
on April 23, 2017
I purchased this item twice and when I go to play it (on 2 different devices, nothing plays. I meant to return it but it was too late qnd I figured it was a fluke so I ordered again with the same problem.
on May 11, 2015
I had read about how visually stunning this series (in HD blu-ray) was but I was unprepared for the actual experience. Prepare to be amazed! Filmed in high definition, you get to see some of the most startling and gripping nature film ever created. It is likely that even those who live close to these events never saw them with this much close-up detail. This is what HDTV Blu-ray was invented for. Well worth the price for the experience. Highly recommended!
on April 22, 2017
The camerawork is very good, but there is less sustained footage of a single situation than in BBC nature documentaries. Also, I don't like Oprah Winfrey's narration. It's stiff and lacks the feeling of commitment to the material that comes with a real scientist like David Attenborough.
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2012
LIfe is a wonderful show depicting life in many forms, mammals, insects, birds, reptiles and amphibians as well as subjects as creatures of the deep without backbones and predator and prey. This series not only taught me about life around the planet but also some extraordinary animals and plants I barely knew anything about. The photography is stunning and in bluray was brilliant. The narration by David Attenborough was clear and easily understood. I did have to wonder at times as I heard the British pronunciation of some words but it didn't prevent my comprehension, it broadened my knowledge of how we differ, just another part of life! I really enjoyed the series and learned a lot. My memories of chimps, Komodo Dragons and water buffalos are still with me. After each episode, a 10 minute short explains how the most difficult sequences were filmed. A very valuable exercise which made me wish I was there to do it too. Great series.
on October 2, 2015
Probably should post in the DESCRIPTION or PRODUCT DETAILS that it does not play on US dvd players, NOT in Editorial Reviews. When I check on the details of a product I buy, especially when it's a show I have seen already and know what I think of the show content, I have no reason to look at Editorial Reviews, but I did look in the areas of the Amazon page that describe the package.
on March 10, 2016
This does not play in my SONY 3D BluRay Player, it is regionally playable on certain UK bluray devices. US buyers need to buy the Oprah W. edition unless you have an Open Region Blu Ray player. This documentary series can be found on Netflix in the USA. (Save some money) Well put together piece but does get repetitive when covering certain animals (over and over again)
on December 24, 2014
If you love watching animals in their natural habitat, and desire to see animal phenomenon never before captured on film, there is nothing better than this. (Though I personally prefer the David Attenborough narration, but Oprah does a good job too.) The imagery and kinetics caught on film are beyond stunning. And in super high-definition, you will be blown away by the details you never noticed in frogs before. Whenever friends come over, I put this on as a back-drop to our conversations. No one can resist the dancing of dolphins, Komodo Dragons defending their eggs, or predators chasing their prey in slow motion. The only compilation that vaguely compares to "Life" is "planet earth"; but I still prefer the dynamic story telling of "Life" more.
on June 21, 2016
If you own a Bluray player, you should own Life. From the makers of Planet Earth, this is similar in style and format, but the minutiae of life is really what makes this series beautifully done. Small moments, things literally never seen before on film, are captured for future generations in premium high def for those generations who will not be as lucky to experience them in the natural world. The narration by David Attenborough (the best narrator of wildlife documentaries bar none) is insightful and informative without being dull, and the camera work is just amazing. This series is what the high-definition world was made for. An excellent investment, and a remarkable accomplishment.
on May 10, 2014
When I can't sleep, or if I'm sick, or otherwise need to kill some "quiet time" I watch an episode or two of the BBC Earth series "Life." Filmed in high definition, played back on Blu-ray, it's non-stop astonishment.

The discs include a short "making of" documentary of each episode, which is even more astonishing than the content. The months, sometimes years (!) spent setting up particular shots or scenes, the incredible danger and inhospitable environments, the luck both bad- and good- endured by the crews.

David Attenborough narrates. Unlike many documentaries, he is perfectly understandable (on headphones) without subtitles (though they are available).

The music is varied and tasteful and contributes. Sound design -- added bubbles or rustling noises or animal cries -- are appropriate and nicely dubbed in stereo. Even subtle humor sometimes is snuck in: the segment on Venus Flytraps has tiny burps dubbed in as the flowers reopen after a kill.

Extensive use of time lapse photography and slow motion photography illuminate trends and action impossible to discern in normal time.

Pacing is fast, almost too fast sometimes, with interesting shots and story lines rushing by as fast as you can absorb them.

And of course the visuals -- ah, to die for.

It doesn't get any better than this.
on October 5, 2013
What an undertaking. I cannot imagine how they got some of these scenes. Things no motivated tourist, who spent years visiting each one of these remote locations, would ever get to see. It requires years, a team of hundreds, spanned out all over the globe, and a BIG budget, to pull this off. Being able to get a copy of the edited end product of all that for less than $100 is incredible. Anyone who loves our globe and its many life forms, or great footage, or who has kids and loves them, should buy this. Hope this helps. Trey