Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on February 4, 2016
We purchased this book for our homeschool curriculum and it is one book that is incredibly useful for very, many studies. My kids have enjoyed reading about all the kids that are portrayed in this book and it does a great job of introducing many cultural themes at a young age. You quickly get a good idea on how people live, many different types of houses are shown, different sorts of food and resources, how kids get educated or even play in their environment. Critical subjects like war and health are also brought up but in a way your child won't feel too overwhelmed about the subject. A great way to get a glimpse into different parts of the world and notice even though so many things are different, there are so many things how we are all alike !
on June 16, 2017
I got this book for my 6 yo to read so she can learn about other culture. This book is not design with little kids in mind. It reminds me of those brochure you pick up at doctor's office that are gear for kids and tries explaining health care issue in simplified term. The book goes into a lot of the troubles (such as poverty, illness, and health care issues) that 3rd world countries faces. I was hoping this book was more about celebrating other culture and not highlighting their plights so I am disappointed.
on January 26, 2017
Ordered for my granddaughter as a gift. She is very interested in other cultures and it was a real hit.
on December 4, 2015
This is a great resource. The pictures are bright and interesting. The book is big enough to use at carpet time but not so cumbersome that it can't be used by students at their desks. I bought it for my classroom but my older daughter lives to read through it as well. The language is appropriate for all ages. I have used this book for 3rd grade through 11th grade for various purposes. A great find.
on December 9, 2016
We ordered this for a prize at our Culture Night at school. Great way to show how kids in other parts of the world live...
on January 8, 2012
I ordered this book for my kids for Christmas, and not only my kids were loving looking it over, but all of the adults in the family too! It opened up a lot of discussions about the different ways people in the world live, and how fortunate we are to have what we do.
on March 23, 2017
We just received this book, but the pictures are great. I like the map on each page showing where the child is from, the nice large picture of the child and then all the pictures depicting their lives. It makes it very relatable. I'm looking forward to reading this with my children.
on May 18, 2013
DK Publishing, again, provides a treasure in assisting children in becoming acquainted with children in other countries/cultures. For students in urban communities, many can identify with the children from countries they grew up in as it validates their culture. If used in a rural communities that are isolated, this resource is rich in detail of how children in different countries live, work, and sometimes play. This certainly isn't a disappointment, it helps to break down cultural barriers as children see the ways children in other countries are like them in some ways and are different in others.
on February 21, 2017
A beautiful book , a really good visual way to enlarge a child's view of the world.
on October 3, 2016
Published in 2002 so certainly some of the material is quite dated, but the pictures are good, and for someone not wishing to go in depth with facts, it does give an overview for kids in this country to see how fortunate they are in many ways.