Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2009
I agree with Mr. Lute ~ this is a MODEL not a TOY (but you can still have loads of fun with it...we do!). The age recommendation (on the box) is 14+. I believe here on Amazon it's 9? Maybe 10. I'm not quite sure about that. However, as Mr. Lute states, you need to make sure your children are old enough, and fully aware, that you need to *play* with the train with care/caution. My husband and 9.5 year old son LOVE this train. We bought it for our son for Christmas. It's set up on my husband's piece of plywood, on a folding table, in our son's room. This set even let's us utilize the engine of my husband's train set when he was small! The track is a snap to put together and is very sturdy. The cars fit nicely, without all the struggle of "setting them in" just right in order for them to run. The knob is rather sensitive to speed until you get the hang of it ~ all of a couple of times using it! We are going to purchase more track to make curves and figure 8's. My son is thoroughly enjoying putting together the little model buildings that came with the train and has his eyes set on some bigger, more complicated models at a local hobby shop. This gets 5 stars in our book!
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2014
SHE REALLY THOUGHT THE WORLD OF TRAIN SET COULD NOT WAIT TO SET IT UP BEST PART I FOUND IS THE WAY THE TRACK STAYS TOGETHER I PUT TWO STICK PINS IN WALL AND WE HANG UP TRACK WHEN SHE DONE PLAYING TILL NEXT TIME
on August 5, 2014
My granddaughter asked for a choo choo train for her birthday. I asked her why she wanted a train. She said because she didn't have one. Well, every child needs a train! This one is perfect. She is five and was able to put the tracks together and run it on her own with supervision. She loves it!
on February 6, 2013
This has been a great starter set for us. It is so important to let your children know that this is a “Model” not a toy. The cars will not take much abuse, but work great when left on the track. My 8 year old and I put this thing together on Christmas morning and have been running it like crazy since.
on December 29, 2013
This is a wonderful train set, but it is very detailed and delicate and more for and older child or adult who has the room to leave it set up once it is put together. He needed a smaller train set that would be more easily managed by him without an adult's consstant help.
It would be great for a collector as it is a beautiful train set.......just be careful about the age. The mistake was ours, not in anything wrong with the set.
on January 24, 2013
Train set car handling not as I had expected, engine will not stay on track while pulling all 7 cars in set at the same time. Engine will pull up to 4 cars before having handling problems, add the 5 car and it will pull off track before it makes it all the way around. I'm pleased with the size of the set and extra items included for the cost. One of the railroad crossing arms doesn't come down like it should most of the time, but all in all it's a good set for a beginner.
on January 29, 2014
Product surpassed my expectations and the customer service was Number 1!! I would deal with Walthers again and recommend them to anyone wanting to purchase an electric train set.
I can't wait to display this train next Christmas season along with my 'O' Gauge.
In fact..I now have to make an elevated train display!!! I am looking forward to completing it!!

-=[Jerr]=-
on June 6, 2014
Its a neat train but the cars have a hard time staying on the track. The engine stays on good but when we put 3 or so cars on it derails alot. I think its because the cars r so light.
on October 6, 2014
Bottom of the barrel quality for an HO scale train set, not everything works as it should rolling stock is of poor quality, engine runs rough. Transformer is cheap, cheap, cheap, works, but barely. It's only saving grace is the quick connect track which is very durable and works well on carpet.
on December 3, 2015
poor quality track, contacts fall off rendering it unusable

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.