Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 21, 2017
I never got to see the complete series for both untill now. The British versions are way better than our US Broadcast versions seen on TV. No commercial cuts and no Oprah. XD

There are a few downsides but they are very minor. "Life" recycled a fair bit of content from "Planet Earth" and they almost constantly used a film grain effect that hinders the image quality. Too many films use it. XD

Another issue is that the "Planet Earth" discs are packaged in sleeves. Scratch magnets. XD

Overall though, both of the documentaries are great. Anyone who loves nature will love this package. Go for it!
on May 26, 2015
Great TV series's for anyone that isn't already familiar with them. Only annoyance is that for the spines of the sleeves to face outwards, you have to put the sleeves in facing the opposite direction of the box - in other words, when resting the box face-up, you have to put the sleeves in face down to expose the spines.

Blurays add some behind the scenes features and stories that I haven't noticed on TV broadcasts or Netflix.
on February 7, 2014
as long as you buy the version offered by Amazon.

After reading through the reviews, many of which say Life is unplayable on US bluray players or PS3s, I was extremely skeptical about this product. However, this combined edition of Life and Planet earth is the best deal around (much cheaper than bought separately, and includes all special features, as well as narration by Attenborough), I decided to take the risk. I just received the package from UPS a few minutes ago. I opened it right away and put one of the Life discs in my PS3. It works!

I have yet to watch (and re-watch) these legendary series in many days (or years) to come, but just so you know, buying it straight from Amazon (not from a third party seller) is the way to go!
on June 12, 2014
I own the standard DVD American-market version of Life, and I watched all episodes of both series on Discovery Channel. I am ecstatic that David Attenborough's versions are now available to Region 1. Don't miss out. The watered-down scripts and the annoying commercial-break fade-outs in the American-market DVDs are gone. And having watched each of the Life episodes many times on American TV, I noticed right away the extended scenes on the Blu-ray discs. Naturally the resolution is much crisper than the standard DVDs and can be appreciated with all the necessary close-ups needed to film small animal and plant life. In Life "Plants", you can almost touch the dew droplets on the sundew, and the Venus flytrap looks like it will jump out and grab you. And I've never seen a fly's eyes with such clarity! Sorry Oprah, sorry Sigourney. I love you both, but Sir Attenborough needs to handle this business. He brings both experience and gravitas to his rich narration.
on January 31, 2013
This is an experience of immersion into life itself. A direct interaction with multiple species and adaptations. Presents the viewer as both witness and participant the opportunity to learn and reflect on nature's diversity, beauty and relentless give and take for survival and thriving. So much I didn't know. Let me discover the deep empathy and similarity with life forms.
Beautiful photography and music that enhances the environment. Intimate revealing portraits that take you beyond the egocentric world of humans.
Though I had watched Attenborough's bird anthologies, and Blue Sea Life offers a further feast for the senses and heightens understanding of who shares this planet and how remarkable, fragile and evolving we are. And how and why we must become aware and participate in cooperatively conserving and responding to the needs of all forms of Life!

Eagerly look forward
on December 25, 2012
This is a great collection! my kids (6 & 8) love it! Beautiful cinematography and narration! and they have a "how it was filmed" segment for each chapter.

CONTENT: 5 of 5 stars

One of the best documentary series I've ever seen! My children alternate between Life and Planet Earth. we're about halfway thru, there are many hours of entertainment here. This is one of the times where I fully appreciate HD1080p resolution!

PACKAGING :3 of 5 stars

well, the combo box packaging is actually hard to get the sets out of. I've considered several times taking the discs out and putting them in their own CD zip case, if nothing else to keep from wearing out the box set.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2012
Just bought this complete set when I come over to US, it's almost half price compared to HK!!

Going back to the topic, I read through lots of comment, not only in Amazon, also some other sites. People arguing about the video format (1080i vs 1080p), I took a chance to test a few disc with PS3 in the office right before my flight, I picked 2 discs from Life as well as 2 from Planet Earth. Both discs picked from Life are in 1080p format while both I picked from Planet Earth are 1080i. Outside the box only 1080i is mentioned, so the description is partially correct.

From my research, the only 1080p version of Planet Earth should be the one selling in UK, and it's a 5-disc version (still 1 disc less than the US version), and with region code restrictions.

I do find little quality difference among Life & Planet Earth, but this price I would say it's unbeatable!! The only 1 star deducted is about the packaging, can it be a more rigid box rather paper?
on August 2, 2015
Man, what a great series!!! So educational and makes you want to travel the world! Love that they have been able to capture our planet at this high level and that we can experience a small portion in our living room! Definitely recommend for all ages!
on April 1, 2018
These are a must have. Planet earth especially is one of thee best nature documentaries ever. Period. This is a must have set for anyone who is a fan of the genre. However be warned. This series was not shot in pristine HD and the blue ray version is barely worth it. Unless you have a large TV save the money and buy the cheaper set.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2013
I am so amazed by the shows BBC puts out. This is __THE BEST__ filming, storytelling, and editing you can get on this subject. Some of the shots they got were simply breathtaking. They almost seem staged.

I love the little behind the scenes they have at the end of the episodes that talk about how much of a mission these films are. I don't even own a Blu-Ray player, but I bought this to show my support and hope they continue to make these great films.